Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: redandblackareback on April 04, 2011, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 04, 2011, 12:19:02 PM
The Down forward line needs a new lease of life .
Something that Caolan Mooney would inject.
If he is good enough he is old enough
i know he is off to Collingwood in the autumn but in my opinion the Down seniors need him.

Snoopdog seriously are you for real?? The lad is still a child.. Physically he would be well out of his depth at senior intercounty level, this time next year after Collingwood get their hands on him maybe.. but now! No chance!! Young Conor Poland possibly is an option in half forward line.

I am for Real. I think he would be strong enough for the challenge. Would he not be physically stronger than the likes of McComiskey.
Maybe im being naieve, but he wouldnt be the first 18 year old to play senior football.
He is gonna go out to Aus and take alot bigger hits from bigger guys than he would on a Gaelic pitch.

Brick Tamlin

Some Down folk completely losing the run of themselves since we had relative success last season.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: snoopdog on April 04, 2011, 01:53:07 PM
Quote from: redandblackareback on April 04, 2011, 12:24:12 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on April 04, 2011, 12:19:02 PM
The Down forward line needs a new lease of life .
Something that Caolan Mooney would inject.
If he is good enough he is old enough
i know he is off to Collingwood in the autumn but in my opinion the Down seniors need him.

Snoopdog seriously are you for real?? The lad is still a child.. Physically he would be well out of his depth at senior intercounty level, this time next year after Collingwood get their hands on him maybe.. but now! No chance!! Young Conor Poland possibly is an option in half forward line.

I am for Real. I think he would be strong enough for the challenge. Would he not be physically stronger than the likes of McComiskey.
Maybe im being naieve, but he wouldnt be the first 18 year old to play senior football.
He is gonna go out to Aus and take alot bigger hits from bigger guys than he would on a Gaelic pitch.

I'd agree with you snoop. Give him a go surely, Benny and Dan both played when they were 18. He would be hard to catch once he gets going. Don't think he'd be stronger than McComiskey though, he's built like a brick shithouse.

NP 76

Funny said to mate at the Monaghan game that all the open space that night in newry would really suit mooney if he got a run on the defence he would do harm . Having watched him closely he is physically as big as some of the senior players . He is already doing a weights programme sent to him by collingwood but i think he flits in and out of the College games to much although he has scored plenty this last while i think he could do more . Dont think he would be anywhere near as strong as mc comiskey who they say is one of the strongest on the panel

supersub

Just a word of note on Caolan, he has never played against 'men' if that's what you want to call it. No doubt he will be an excellent player but he has never played for rostrevor seniors or reserves before never mind senior inter county football. I am sure we have enough talent in our panel to inject pace and strength into the team. Our forward line is probably the area which needs least help to be fair. Calling unnecessarily for an 18 year old is a bit of a panic move - and we are not in a position to be panicking!

Brick Tamlin

He played for Rostrevor Reserves last year in a county final if im not mistaken.
Let the lad develop naturally, im sure his time will come.

thewobbler

Brick, I'm pretty sure it was Rostrevor 3rds.

Thankfully Down football is now in a position where we don't have to draft in schoolboys to bolster the ranks.

If everyone is fit and well, it looks like all of Murtagh, J Clarke, Doyle, Carr, Sexton, Laverty, McCartan and one of either Rogers/Fitzpatrick will be warming the bench this summer, ready to rip into action if any of the forwards are off their game.  Half the counties in Ireland would happily replace their first six with six of that lot.

Taking in an 18 year old to join them would be wrong on so many levels.

Brick Tamlin

Aye i knew he played adult football of some level last year.
He will be a fantastic asset when he has developed further. A few years down under might not hurt him, and hopefully he returns the better of it. Niall Donnelly is another guy off that college team that should be groomed for no3 jersey for Down in a few years.

snoopdog

Yep i take all your points on young Mooney.
How are Ambrose and Liam doyle coming on.

supersub

Yeh he did play for the thirds in 1 or 2 games at end of last season. I don't think that can compare though.

PAULD123

Caolan played indeed for Rostrevor 3rds but didn't start the first final. Only came on as a late sub. I think he may have started the replay. But playing in the Reserve league final for the 3rds isn't exactly a proving ground for senior county football. If he were sticking around then I think he should be elected straight to the squad next season, but good as he is no way is he ready for division one county football.

As far as other College players go I have high hopes that Eamonn Magee will come through. He is fantastic at CHB for St Colman's, controls the entire defence and distributes superbly. Could be in the senior squad within 2-3 years.

Best man to judge is NP76 who I know goes to these games. What do you think of Magee?

NP 76

Very poor last day out but has been outstanding all year i think him very slow and has awful distrabution at times . He seems to be either very good or very bad . The college defence works as a system which helps him alot with the two midfielders and Mooney helping out and breaking at speed . Agree about Niall Donnelly good full back but from what i hear hard to handle . Think he will be worth a look in the not to distant future . Ruairi Lively from Clonduff also a good one and keeps the defence on their toes

umpire

Gervase O'Hare and John McCartan both 17 started in same game  for Down Senior back in late 70's in NFL.

Think Mooney should be allowed to play for Rostrevor senior, he would be a big asset to thier forward line.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Great to see Eoin McCartan back for Down on Saturday night. Really hope he can make an impact during the season.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

whitegoodman

Down would need to be very careful with Eoin, the lad didnt even play a full game for Burren last year.  Im sure James is the right man to take care of him but I fear another breakdown coming if he is pushed too soon.  Id prefer to see him play 5 or 6 club games before being considered as an impact sub for the county.

Great talent all the same and looks physically very strong and will be hard to handle if he stays right.  Lets just hope that he is not another Charlie Pat who also had all the talent in the world but couldnt stay on the field long enough to be able to show it