Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Would i be right in saying that the senior leagues start 2 wks on friday, the 15th

5 Sams

Quote from: whitegoodman on March 29, 2011, 01:10:11 PM
Would i be right in saying that the senior leagues start 2 wks on friday, the 15th

Yep 100% right.

BTW Tomorrow night's ACPRL games postponed because of the U 21s
The Aristocrat Years

behind the wire

Is that definitely correct 5sams? Was looking forward to a run out in ballyholland.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

5 Sams

Quote from: behind the wire on March 29, 2011, 02:03:54 PM
Is that definitely correct 5sams? Was looking forward to a run out in ballyholland.

Yep...e mail from Sean Rooney this morning..
The Aristocrat Years

supersub

Rostrevor beat Castlewellen in the PRFL tonight, don't know if there were any other games played. Boys got out of jail with a goal in the last min havin been losing the whole game.

Square Ball

is the u21 game on the radio anywhere tonight?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

redandblackareback

Paddy Hunter 5 fm?? Think their broadcasting.. they had updates the last night in omagh..

Was going to go tonight but 8pm is very late and its a horrible night  >:(

Anyone on here going could maybe post a report later?

downjim

Whats everyone views on the league this year.. Byransford and Burren are the teams to fear most while Kilcoo Rostrevor and the Bridge will take points of most sides! It will be an interesting year and i am looking forward to seeing Burren play with a bit of confidence as they having been playing very well in the Ulster league and they have a Ulster final to look forward to.. Burren could win more Ulster titles in two months than most of our illustriious clubs have ever won  :D :D
Only messing :D.. I predict the Ford to finish top while Burren to play the Bridge or Kilcoo in the semi final !!!
I will reserve my championship thoughts for later in the year for my loyal fans !

alba2

Under 21s beat tonight by a good margin.. lets face it a 5 point hammering... What is the story here? I know they had three tough games - but so did Tyrone and they looked fresh tonight... Time for the most unsuccessful management team in last ten years to step aside and let someone in who knows what they are doing.  This was a good group of lads - but again we get nothing from them... and two draws dont count as anything... Let Sean Ward take the reins here - the man has won titles with Burren and in Ulster - he played for and captained his county at every level so would get the respect he deserves.  He is young and enthusiastic so let him at it and move these planks aside.

dundrumite

Quote from: alba2 on March 30, 2011, 11:41:41 PM
Under 21s beat tonight by a good margin.. lets face it a 5 point hammering... What is the story here? I know they had three tough games - but so did Tyrone and they looked fresh tonight... Time for the most unsuccessful management team in last ten years to step aside and let someone in who knows what they are doing.  This was a good group of lads - but again we get nothing from them... and two draws dont count as anything... Let Sean Ward take the reins here - the man has won titles with Burren and in Ulster - he played for and captained his county at every level so would get the respect he deserves.  He is young and enthusiastic so let him at it and move these planks aside.

Against a team who at this grade were All Ireland minor champions. Put things into perspective, not like they were playing Kilkenny, London or something. Although, they are as you said a good bunch of players, they were still up against on paper, a team ranked at number one in Ireland at this level.

alba2

Things are fully in perspective.  It dont matter they were all ireland champions three years ago - at that age group - ya tend to lose so many players - but yet Tyrone seem to hold on to most of theirs.  Team selection was not good nor were the subs used in the game.  these down players had 5 or 6 senior panelists - but you couldnt really tell - kyle Coney and Peter Harte play for Tyrone Seniors - but look like senior intercounty players.  We have had a good record at this level for last while and it has beena major springboard to our success at senior level.   We need to maintain this to keep improving at the top level.  I honestly fancy Cork to win the all ireland this year at u21. With Aidan walso and Sheehan playing and others - they have the physicality to beat anyone.

thewobbler

I think you're being more than a tad harsh and unrealistic there Alba2. If Down had have beaten, say Fermanagh and Donegal, then lost this tie to Tyrone after a double replay in the Ulster Final, then you would have nothing but praise for them. This is knockout football, and when two good teams meet, then one of them is not going to progress.

You're not helping your point either by talking up that because a hadful of them have played a few McKenna Cup matches, then they're senior intercounty players, and as for your suggestion that Sean Ward, who has been handed a conveyor belt of talent for a club tournament that most clubs couldn't give a fiddlers about, might be a better manager than the incumbents - well that's a leap of faith. 

alba2

I think you're being more than a tad harsh and unrealistic there Alba2. If Down had have beaten, say Fermanagh and Donegal, then lost this tie to Tyrone after a double replay in the Ulster Final, then you would have nothing but praise for them. This is knockout football, and when two good teams meet, then one of them is not going to progress.

You're not helping your point either by talking up that because a hadful of them have played a few McKenna Cup matches, then they're senior intercounty players, and as for your suggestion that Sean Ward, who has been handed a conveyor belt of talent for a club tournament that most clubs couldn't give a fiddlers about, might be a better manager than the incumbents - well that's a leap of faith. 

I did praise the team on previous outings in the last two weeks but last night was just an inept performance.  Mckenna cup is the cutting teeth ground for intercounty players - so if they play in a senior competition - they are senior players.  And dont start about most clubs not giving a fiddlers about the u20/u21 competition caus thats a load of bollix.  When teams like Mayobridge, Rostrevor,  Warrenpoint, Kingdom, Burren, Longstone and others enter a competition - they are in it to devlop players and to win it.  Just because Burren have won 5 in a row - now all ya hear is - sure no one takes it seriously - load of crap.  maybe the manager has been given this conveyor belt of talent - but he still has to work with them, select the best 15 for the game and the best 5 to be introduced - and he is obviously getting it right.  Those donkeys in charge of the U21 team last night also had this conveyor belt of talent but were too loyal to some players when others on the panel were better.  if Ward had been in charge - i feel the players would have had to go that extra mile to get on the team as he has no favourites - this management clearly had.  But its only my opinion.. But hey - thats what this board is about.....

extra time

i think calling the u21 management team "donkeys" is way over the top. me thinks you have a personal issue here.

alba2

No personal issue at all. Just looking at their record over the last two years.... Total number of championship games won = zero.   Maybe donkeys is a bit harsh and i retract that statement - but they need to be moved on.