Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Cool

Quote from: Bacon on May 16, 2007, 08:54:15 AM

Any other results from last night?
Div 1
Portaferry 7-19 3-08 Kilclief
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

DownFanatic

Ardglass beat Bright by a point in Division 3 last night on Bright's new training pitch which is nearly as small as their previous pitch.

goldenyears

simon poland was a cracking player - 6 ft 2, awkward as sin to play against (known as the octopus!) and a great engine - he could have been a county player for yrs! POR didnt fancy him and never asked him into the panel....that was a mistake. Simon's head was all over the place at the best of times.....but he definitely had more years in him.

paudie matthews (and paul shields for that matter) should have played for down for years. paudie got crucified v oisin in 99 ulster and shieldsy got hammered for kevin brady antrim 2000 - i dont think either performance helped their longevity, but in my opinion both could have played from 99-2006 at least, allowing proper transition time for grant / clarke / etc etc

Fíor Gael

Quote from: goldenyears on May 16, 2007, 05:51:56 PM

paudie matthews (and paul shields for that matter) should have played for down for years. paudie got crucified v oisin in 99 ulster and shieldsy got hammered for kevin brady antrim 2000 - i dont think either performance helped their longevity, but in my opinion both could have played from 99-2006 at least, allowing proper transition time for grant / clarke / etc etc

Both excellent footballers, but lacked pace and were badly exposed on the two occasions you mentioned.

Lecale2

Latest All County league tables:

Bacon

Quote from: Whitehair on May 16, 2007, 10:10:55 AM
Aye we were saying last nite that the lad who was doing umpire scores more for us when he's off the pitch than when he's on it! :D The turnouts have improved a bit over the last few weeks, although Mal seniors depearture hasnt had a bearing on it, just been the case of a fews more lads showing a bit of commitment. Was that a full strength galgets 2nd team? What team are spike and paudi mc manus playing for this year?

I was talking to one of the McCusters last night & he was telling me the 17 year old Ballela full forward had an arm and 3 ribs broke in an off the ball striking incident involving one of the more experienced Ballygalget defenders. To say they aren't happy about it is an under statement!
Apparently the ref didn't see the incident as it happened behind his back well off the ball but he booked the offender on the word of the umpire.
Disgraceful behaviour.
Can any one who was at the match comment further?
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Lecale2

I was there but didn't see what happened. There was nothing the ref could do. The ball was at the far end of the field (as was I) and when he looked around the young lad was lying on the deck. He was clearly in some pain and was taken off.

Whitehair

It was Mark Cosgrave he's 20, but could pass for 16 tho! About 5'7 and prob under 10st.  I hadnt heard it was broke, i'l hear more tonight at training. He played on for the duration of the match but he told me after the match he was in some pain. He's a real hardy soul and i think opposition this he's an easy target due to his stature. He said he and the full back were running out following the puckout and the ballygalget fullback drew into him, i think with the butt of the stick. I'd asked him did he do anything to provoke it and he said there was nothing!

johnneycool

Quote from: Whitehair on May 17, 2007, 11:33:13 AM
It was Mark Cosgrave he's 20, but could pass for 16 tho! About 5'7 and prob under 10st.  I hadnt heard it was broke, i'l hear more tonight at training. He played on for the duration of the match but he told me after the match he was in some pain. He's a real hardy soul and i think opposition this he's an easy target due to his stature. He said he and the full back were running out following the puckout and the ballygalget fullback drew into him, i think with the butt of the stick. I'd asked him did he do anything to provoke it and he said there was nothing!

Didn't see it myself either and I'm being an Arsene Wenger on this as the ball was being pucked out at the time. Both them were at it just before that as the ball dropped in. I'm not condoning what happened but I think it was the butt of the hurl and not the full blooded pull that Bacon is implying that it was. If he got a bad injury out of it that's unfortunate. as manys a person has given and taken a butt in the ribs and lived to tell the tale.

Bacon

Quote from: johnneycool on May 17, 2007, 12:51:03 PM
Quote from: Whitehair on May 17, 2007, 11:33:13 AM

Didn't see it myself either and I'm being an Arsene Wenger on this as the ball was being pucked out at the time. Both them were at it just before that as the ball dropped in. I'm not condoning what happened but I think it was the butt of the hurl and not the full blooded pull that Bacon is implying that it was. If he got a bad injury out of it that's unfortunate. as manys a person has given and taken a butt in the ribs and lived to tell the tale.
I wasn't implying anything. Just repeating what I was told "there was an off the ball striking incident". The lad I spoke to was at the match and didn't see it either. It could have been a fist, boot, hurl or thunderbolt from God for all I know but the outcome was a young lad lying injured. Ballela can't afford to lose anybody at the minute.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Whitehair

Mark has two cracked ribs in his back and a cracked bone in his elbow. He said it was the narrow side of the bottom of the stick not the butt as i first thought, certainly nothing like a Brian O'Meara v Liam Dunne type tussle. Im sure he'l miss a few matches and a week or so off work.

ITOB

Hurling? 
Don't I know much about it but an Antrim Head once told me it's akin to leagalised punishment beatings.  This incident seems to fit.

johnneycool

Quote from: Whitehair on May 17, 2007, 10:13:24 PM
Mark has two cracked ribs in his back and a cracked bone in his elbow. He said it was the narrow side of the bottom of the stick not the butt as i first thought, certainly nothing like a Brian O'Meara v Liam Dunne type tussle. Im sure he'l miss a few matches and a week or so off work.

Sorry to hear that. It's never good when things like that happen.

Quote from: ITOB on May 18, 2007, 08:32:59 AM
Hurling? 
Don't I know much about it but an Antrim Head once told me it's akin to leagalised punishment beatings.  This incident seems to fit.

f**k off back to whatever stone you crawled from under. p***k.

Aristotle Flynn

Quote from: ITOB on May 18, 2007, 08:32:59 AM
Hurling? 
ITOB - Go back to your dirty pictures you pervert!

As for the incident at Ballela - I'll sure the Ballygalget lad didn't mean to injury the young fella to that extent but nobody should be missing work because of shit like this. Someone in Ballygalget club needs to have a word with the full back.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Square Ball

Div 3 Result

Bredagh 2-16 Newry Mitch 0-11
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid