Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bredaghgael86

Quote from: Square Ball on November 23, 2010, 05:32:40 PM
Quote from: Square Ball on November 22, 2010, 07:27:50 PM
Just like to wish Bredagh club man Paul Blaney good luck as he runs for Chair of East Down tonight.

like to congratulate Paul Blaney on his appointment to Chair of East Down.

Nice one. congrats to paul. if he does half the job he did for us east down is in safe hands.

Mourne Rover

Knockitdown, Glasdrumman did get through to the final, but then had to go through several weeks of meaningless matches and virtual inactivity. Drumgath had a series of tough games instead, including the semi final, which left them well placed to win the decider. Topping the league turned out to be of no benefit to Glasdrumman, so it all looks very like a flawed structure. 

thewobbler

I'm not so sure Mourne Rover.

Finishing top of the league might prove you're better than Division III standard. But it's on winning the play-offs - when the best teams in your division have full squads and are chomping at the bit - that means you're reading for Division II.

Too many people in Down football place too much of an emphasis on league placings.

I would reconfigure the end of season play-offs a little so that the team which finished higher is always at home (regardless of whether it's roun-robin, semi, or final). This would be a suitable reward for a consistent season and might push teams a bit harder during the end of league dead rubbers.

But being good at beating Division III standard teams does not a Division II team make.

Minus15

If some fella from the 'Finn is banging in 2 or 3 goals every week, players will be wondering when he'll be moving to Castlewellan.

If some young fella from the Finn is banging in 2 or 3 goals every week, I would be wondering when he moved from Castlewellan.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: thewobbler on November 23, 2010, 04:42:55 PM

I can't work out why Niall Donnelly and Niall McParland are included. They're fine prospects - Donnelly looks like a hell of a talent, but they're still at school. The last time we went down this route was with Mickey Walsh, which should be warning enough that it's too much, too soon.

We went down that route with Dan too and, apart from his break this year and losing a bit of form after it, he turned out OK.

Don Johnson

Quote from: thewobbler on November 23, 2010, 06:33:45 PM
I'm not so sure Mourne Rover.
Finishing top of the league might prove you're better than Division III standard. But it's on winning the play-offs - when the best teams in your division have full squads and are chomping at the bit - that means you're reading for Division II.
You have just contradicted yourself - if finishing top of the league makes you better than Division III standard, what does it make you?
Too many people in Down football place too much of an emphasis on league placings. .
Hardly. This team finished first. A place in the playoff final is a less than paltry reward for a team that has shown the effort, dedication and consistency to finish top.
I would reconfigure the end of season play-offs a little so that the team which finished higher is always at home (regardless of whether it's roun-robin, semi, or final). This would be a suitable reward for a consistent season and might push teams a bit harder during the end of league dead rubbers.
But being good at beating Division III standard teams does not a Division II team make.
I'm not against play-offs, but the team finishing top should automatically go up. Not only rewarding the most consistent team in the league, it will also mean that another team will have the chance to compete for promotion.

lucan

mourne rover Chill out and take it up with the county board YOU;RE NOT FROM GLASDRUMMON ARE YOU? ;)

umpire

A few years ago, its was decided to have a 10 teams in 1st and 2nd div. this will take about 3 years to completed..
The team thats finished on top automatic goes up. plus winner of 2nd and 3rd places.
For league title. The first place play the winner of 2nd and 3rd

this arrangement came too late for Glasdrumman as only one team goes up this year in div 3.

Mourne Rover is one of trustworthy poster on this gaaboard and his posts always enjoyable to read.

The Chief

can anyone provide me with a quick summary of how the re-structuring of the 4 divisions in down is going

how many will be in each league in 2011
how many will be promoted and relegated from each league in 2011

??

thanks

banker

My tuppence on trials etc.

It isn't difficult for James and co to find out who the players are with even a sniff of county possibilities - no matter what club they play for, what division they play in, or what age they are.

Between talking to their clubmates, mates from other clubs, reading the papers, meeting spectators, meeting club managers, it really isn't difficult to work out who is a cut above. And that's before they ask their own players. If Benny Coulter is kept scoreless in a club game, James will want to know why. If Benny got skinned, his teammates won't be long ripping him out. That's enough to fan any manager's curiosities. If Dundrum get whopped by Bredagh and their number 13 scored 11 points, Paul McComiskey will be talking about him, and James will be listening. If some fella from the 'Finn is banging in 2 or 3 goals every week, players will be wondering when he'll be moving to Castlewellan. That's when ears pick up.

Football people talk football endlessly, and these men are surrounded by football people.

But trials are needed. Partly it's a PR exercise, to assuage some of the comments from clubs that "our midfielder is the best player in the league and should get a shot at it", even when it's obvious to everyone else that he's not. Partly it's to try out players in positions they might be required in for Down. Partly it's the first steps to see how committed and focused players are, by seeing how their onfield energy reacts to being dragged halfway across the county and dropped into a team where they know nobody, and with very little at stake. Partly it's just to tick off the key boxes for athleticism and strength, for even at trial standard the pace will find out any number of players, who have no need then to progress.

And don't forget a trial needs at least 30 players for it to work. Once you take out the 20 or so players who are already on the squad, you realistically have no choice but to pad out the trial system with a group of players who everyone, including themselves, know just won't make it. But it does no harm, and if anything is a good experience for those players.

Re the list above, there's at least a dozen names on it who have been there before and made no impact. But in truth they're all probably within the 30 "next best" in the county and although trite, it would be wrong not to include them.

Then there's a handful of purely political inclusions.

Then there's a handful fellas who probably only have to turn up and prove they're interested to get an invite on the panel.

I can't work out why Niall Donnelly and Niall McParland are included. They're fine prospects - Donnelly looks like a hell of a talent, but they're still at school. The last time we went down this route was with Mickey Walsh, which should be warning enough that it's too much, too soon.

The ones who interest me are the younger players who might be springers, and they're all defenders. Joe Murphy from our club is a fine talent but he's still growing and I'd think it's a bit early for him. Gareth Johnston of Tullylish isn't a gifted player, but he is athletic, determined and smart - which was good enough to get Daniel McCartan to an All-Ireland final. Darren O'Hagan looks like a tough cookie too, while Conor Poland is already a county athlete in terms of running ability.

johnson is a gifted player and very smart on the ball. although i think he will need to work a bit on his physique. James will probably have boys like donnelly and mc parland in the panel just like paul devlin last year just to develop them into county footballers. Two great prospects for the future

downjim

who would be favourites for the under 20's?????????

supersub

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: banker on November 24, 2010, 05:29:36 PM
My tuppence on trials etc.

It isn't difficult for James and co to find out who the players are with even a sniff of county possibilities - no matter what club they play for, what division they play in, or what age they are.

Between talking to their clubmates, mates from other clubs, reading the papers, meeting spectators, meeting club managers, it really isn't difficult to work out who is a cut above. And that's before they ask their own players. If Benny Coulter is kept scoreless in a club game, James will want to know why. If Benny got skinned, his teammates won't be long ripping him out. That's enough to fan any manager's curiosities. If Dundrum get whopped by Bredagh and their number 13 scored 11 points, Paul McComiskey will be talking about him, and James will be listening. If some fella from the 'Finn is banging in 2 or 3 goals every week, players will be wondering when he'll be moving to Castlewellan. That's when ears pick up.

Football people talk football endlessly, and these men are surrounded by football people.

But trials are needed. Partly it's a PR exercise, to assuage some of the comments from clubs that "our midfielder is the best player in the league and should get a shot at it", even when it's obvious to everyone else that he's not. Partly it's to try out players in positions they might be required in for Down. Partly it's the first steps to see how committed and focused players are, by seeing how their onfield energy reacts to being dragged halfway across the county and dropped into a team where they know nobody, and with very little at stake. Partly it's just to tick off the key boxes for athleticism and strength, for even at trial standard the pace will find out any number of players, who have no need then to progress.

And don't forget a trial needs at least 30 players for it to work. Once you take out the 20 or so players who are already on the squad, you realistically have no choice but to pad out the trial system with a group of players who everyone, including themselves, know just won't make it. But it does no harm, and if anything is a good experience for those players.

Re the list above, there's at least a dozen names on it who have been there before and made no impact. But in truth they're all probably within the 30 "next best" in the county and although trite, it would be wrong not to include them.

Then there's a handful of purely political inclusions.

Then there's a handful fellas who probably only have to turn up and prove they're interested to get an invite on the panel.

The ones who interest me are the younger players who might be springers, and they're all defenders. Joe Murphy from our club is a fine talent but he's still growing and I'd think it's a bit early for him. Gareth Johnston of Tullylish isn't a gifted player, but he is athletic, determined and smart - which was good enough to get Daniel McCartan to an All-Ireland final. Darren O'Hagan looks like a tough cookie too, while Conor Poland is already a county athlete in terms of running ability.

johnson is a gifted player and very smart on the ball. although i think he will need to work a bit on his physique. James will probably have boys like donnelly and mc parland in the panel just like paul devlin last year just to develop them into county footballers. Two great prospects for the future

That would be pointless, they are as well playing club football and developing their games. Id be surprised if either will be on county under 21s never mind seniors.

wavesofTORRES