Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westdowngael

The following players are invited to attend a Down senior Football
Trial on Monday 22nd November in Pairc Esler at 6.15pm. Club are asked
to notify their players and to ensure that they are in attendance.
Players are asked to confirm their attendance before 5.00pm on Monday
by contacting me on either of the numbers below.

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Annaclone - Gary McArdle, Kevin Anderson
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Ballyholland - Joe Murphy
Ballymartin - Gavin Joyce
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Bryansford - Philip Bonny, Luke Howard, Joe Ireland
Burren - Cathal Murdock, Gerard McCartan, Sean Murdock, Eamonn Toner,
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Clann na Banna - Malachy Magee
Clonduff - Darren O'Hagan, Jason Brown, Paul McPolin, Arthur McConville
Downpatrick - Peter Telford
Drumgath - Jackie Lynch, Stephen Parsons, Declan Sheerin, Packie Downey
Glasdrumman - Conor Harrison
Glenn - Niall McParland
Kilcoo - Conor Laverty, Paul Devlin
Liatroim - Michéal McCartan
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mayobridge - Shane O'Hare, Ryan Brady, Cathal Magee
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Saval - Rory Digney, Fergal McConville
St John Bosco - Chris Duggan
St Johns - Gerard McAnulty
Tullylish - Gareth Johnson, Niall Donnelly, Shannon Drainey, John McAreavey
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

players in bold are only players that could bring a bit of strength to the Down setup at this present time.

No hoper

Quote from: westdowngael on November 22, 2010, 09:49:26 PM

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Glenn - Niall McParland
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

players in bold are only players that could bring a bit of strength to the Down setup at this present time.

heard ryan brady sean murdock and kevin anderson were impresive at tonights trial

The Chief

Quote from: When We Win on November 22, 2010, 10:43:57 AM
Quote from: Highlander3 on November 21, 2010, 11:34:19 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 21, 2010, 07:16:30 PM
Quote from: goldenyears on November 20, 2010, 01:11:07 PM

An Riocht - Chris Killen
Ardglass - Michael Magee
Atticall - Louis Sloan
Bredagh - Eoin Costello
Anton McArdle
Carryduff - Declan Alder
Glenn - Niall McParland
Longstone - Conor Poland
Mitchels - Shane Cooney
Rostrevor - Sean Parr
Warrenpoint - John Boyle

I believe the players above in bold are the only ones who would be up to the required standard especially considering Down are playing top flight football next year. Some of the younger players need a year or two yet with their clubs and county under 21s imo. Conor Laverty should not have to be trialled also, played in 15 of Downs games from January to September last year including friendlys. Darren OHagan likewise who featured in two championship matchs. What are they going to see in a trial that they have not seen from this duo in matchs and in training this year.

Mid Down Geal would you not also add Like Howard to that list

I think this is a good idear, we have to keep the competition up in the squad, and i think some of these players are definitely worth a look at

In all the games i watched in Div 3 and Intermediate Championship this year, i never seen too many footballers capable of playing for Down probably bar Paul McC. Fair enough they need to be given a chance as someone special may be uncovered but majority of those boys just wouldnt cut the mustard.

If i was able to pick one player to throw into the mix it would be Declan SHerrin. I have seen no one compete with him in the games i have watched. Unfortunately because he is playing Div 3 we dont know how he could compete with the likes of Ambrose etc but i would go to the trials just to see if he could be useful. Probably age gets in his way.

They should have a couple of games between these boys and pick there best 18 and then play Downs strongest. Maybe 5 will be worth taking on board I would think but as another poster has said this is just an exercise to keep a few boys happy. Were these players nominated by their clubs or did James ask for them. I have seen a couple of players from Darragh Cross put in big performances this year and i am suprised they are not in the same league as Lynch, Harrison, Cooney, Dougan.

I still think the DOwn squad need another few members.

each club's manager nominated players to go to the trials

ive watched a lot of those players who were trialled in action in league games this year and not many of them are good enough for the step up to county football - 4 at the most! - and 'when we win' - i watched Darragh Cross in the championship in Castlewellan recently and sorry to say none of your team is good enough either

Brick Tamlin

smokeyjoe

I cant believe, that no one seems to think, chris killen is good enough for Inter county, admittedly I have only seen him play on a small number of occassions, but anytime ive seen him play for the club, he has really stood out!! Especially when marty plays!! I think he is definately worth a go in the McKenna cup!!

Also not many have included Luke Howard as a possible selection, I dont really understand this, as I think Corner back is still an area that down need competition for places!!

Any Thoughts?

Brick Tamlin

i think you went to the Louis and are from the Mourne Region

smokeyjoe

I think your wrong! I went to the abbey and im from newry

ApresMatch

Chief - On Darragh Cross, ur right on that day no-one would have looked good enough,but if thats only time you seen them then its bit of sweepin statement.

I think any decent players require 3 or 4 viewings from county management.They should be travelling round watching teams in all Divisions a couple of times, or sending people to watch.
Does the managment know every player in Down?I dont think they do, not bein critical though cos they are doin a great job!!

The Chief

Chris Killen, Luke Howard, Darren O'Hagan and John McAreavey would be my 4, although there were a couple of teams that i didn't get to watch this year and Burren were one of them so i can't comment on any of their players.

Laverty, Alder and Jason Brown could be on the fringes of the Down Panel, with a few run outs in the league but i wouldn't start any of them in the heat of championship battle.
In truth there aren't many places up for grabs as i think its a pretty strong county squad with plenty of competition for places.

Apres Match, i saw Darragh Cross play a couple of times this year - in castewellan against the Clone, and in Glassdrumman, and 3 times last season as well. Maybe i caught you on a bad day but the day in question in Castewellan most of your team were better boxers than footballers!  ;D

5 Sams

Some crowd at James' book launch last night......I think it took them all by surprise. It had to be shifted from the Clanrye to the Miller Suite and then they ran out of books. A lot of legends in attendance although no sign of Seán O'Neill.... ???
The Aristocrat Years

lucan

to dubh driocht; drumgath beat glasdrummon away and at home in the league and again in the league final .i never mentioned the championship :D

Mourne Rover

Lucan, the point was that division three was indeed a league rather than a championship, and the team which finished top of the table at the end of the season, regardless of any individual results, deserved to be rewarded.

thewobbler

My tuppence on trials etc.

It isn't difficult for James and co to find out who the players are with even a sniff of county possibilities - no matter what club they play for, what division they play in, or what age they are.

Between talking to their clubmates, mates from other clubs, reading the papers, meeting spectators, meeting club managers, it really isn't difficult to work out who is a cut above. And that's before they ask their own players. If Benny Coulter is kept scoreless in a club game, James will want to know why. If Benny got skinned, his teammates won't be long ripping him out. That's enough to fan any manager's curiosities. If Dundrum get whopped by Bredagh and their number 13 scored 11 points, Paul McComiskey will be talking about him, and James will be listening. If some fella from the 'Finn is banging in 2 or 3 goals every week, players will be wondering when he'll be moving to Castlewellan. That's when ears pick up.

Football people talk football endlessly, and these men are surrounded by football people.

But trials are needed. Partly it's a PR exercise, to assuage some of the comments from clubs that "our midfielder is the best player in the league and should get a shot at it", even when it's obvious to everyone else that he's not. Partly it's to try out players in positions they might be required in for Down. Partly it's the first steps to see how committed and focused players are, by seeing how their onfield energy reacts to being dragged halfway across the county and dropped into a team where they know nobody, and with very little at stake. Partly it's just to tick off the key boxes for athleticism and strength, for even at trial standard the pace will find out any number of players, who have no need then to progress.

And don't forget a trial needs at least 30 players for it to work. Once you take out the 20 or so players who are already on the squad, you realistically have no choice but to pad out the trial system with a group of players who everyone, including themselves, know just won't make it. But it does no harm, and if anything is a good experience for those players.

Re the list above, there's at least a dozen names on it who have been there before and made no impact. But in truth they're all probably within the 30 "next best" in the county and although trite, it would be wrong not to include them.

Then there's a handful of purely political inclusions.

Then there's a handful fellas who probably only have to turn up and prove they're interested to get an invite on the panel.

I can't work out why Niall Donnelly and Niall McParland are included. They're fine prospects - Donnelly looks like a hell of a talent, but they're still at school. The last time we went down this route was with Mickey Walsh, which should be warning enough that it's too much, too soon.

The ones who interest me are the younger players who might be springers, and they're all defenders. Joe Murphy from our club is a fine talent but he's still growing and I'd think it's a bit early for him. Gareth Johnston of Tullylish isn't a gifted player, but he is athletic, determined and smart - which was good enough to get Daniel McCartan to an All-Ireland final. Darren O'Hagan looks like a tough cookie too, while Conor Poland is already a county athlete in terms of running ability.

knockitdown

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 23, 2010, 04:01:27 PM
Lucan, the point was that division three was indeed a league rather than a championship, and the team which finished top of the table at the end of the season, regardless of any individual results pile deserved to be rewarded.

They were rewarded.... They got straight into the final did they not?

Square Ball

Quote from: Square Ball on November 22, 2010, 07:27:50 PM
Just like to wish Bredagh club man Paul Blaney good luck as he runs for Chair of East Down tonight.

like to congratulate Paul Blaney on his appointment to Chair of East Down.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid