Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: downjim on November 16, 2010, 06:42:47 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on November 16, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
Quote from: downjim on November 16, 2010, 05:06:59 PM
I am really looking forward to the league final on Saturday now... Burren have proved that they can mix in with the big boys and are a team for the future.. We are going to finally put the end to a lot of the Bridges players careers which the rest of the county will enjoy watching.. Forward together  :)

Forward togather and all blow inns welcome. ;D

Kilcoo cant have any blow ins as you all marry between yourselves.. :D :D

At least we know our parish boundaries. Couldn help but notice the AIB club championship advert on the back of sundays programme. "You dont choose your club. Your born into it". Surely dosent apply to Burren.

dundrumite

DownFanatic

I am really looking forward to the league final on Saturday now... Burren have proved that they can mix in with the big boys and are a team for the future.. We are going to finally put the end to a lot of the Bridges players careers which the rest of the county will enjoy watching.. Forward together  :)

A quote from a former Down All Ireland winning player:

"There was always a blow-up, sometimes the ref could calm it down. Sometimes a priest had to go in. But tell you the truth I liked the Kilcoo fellas and I liked playing them. It did something for you. It was like a real life training session. Offaly were like that. Offaly would have chased Kilcoo out of sight. Club football in Offaly must have been desperate. What Kilcoo and these teams were doing was blooding us, so we knew what to expect and not be complaining."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/lsquodown-teams-donrsquot-always-win-but-they-always-believe-they-can-winrsquo-2343735.html

Some good reading in the above article.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 16, 2010, 09:48:02 PM

A quote from a former Down All Ireland winning player:

"There was always a blow-up, sometimes the ref could calm it down. Sometimes a priest had to go in. But tell you the truth I liked the Kilcoo fellas and I liked playing them. It did something for you. It was like a real life training session. Offaly were like that. Offaly would have chased Kilcoo out of sight. Club football in Offaly must have been desperate. What Kilcoo and these teams were doing was blooding us, so we knew what to expect and not be complaining."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/lsquodown-teams-donrsquot-always-win-but-they-always-believe-they-can-winrsquo-2343735.html

Some good reading in the above article.

Superb article. Kilcoo have mellowed well from the days of Stephens Green though!

crossfire

Great article.

I always admired the Down style of football.

supersub

Funny thing is, they had this attitude for the last few years even though they had won f**k all for a long time! Wouldn't rise to this sort of thing myself. Ps in relation to the phrase in bold...i think most neutrals were rooting for the ford in the county final!!

Mourne Rover

Maldini asked; `whats going on at Bredagh? with all the supposedly great underage teams theyve had over the years how can they be in division 4 now?'

No one at Bredagh ever said that they great underage teams and it is less than four years since the club was unable to field for a minor championship match There have been several sides of reasonable promise since then, who were probably in the top three or four in Down at their level, but never managed to get an A grade county title.

There have still been fine achievements, particuarly for a club which has spent more than a decade between division three and four at senior level most of the time, and Bredagh deserve credit for all the work carried out in an area with no real GAA tradition. Some decent young players are trying to make a mark with a senior team in transition, but it will take a while to see if they manage a breakthrough, so Maldini will just have to be patient. 

downjim

I cant help it if people want to be associated with Downs famous club. I remember our seconds beating Mayobridge and Kilcoos seniors for many years. We are back were we belong and it feels great.
Clubs such as ourselves, Byransford and Clonduff have the staying power for the top :)

Brick Tamlin

redandblackareback

Good luck to the Abbey tonight up in Omagh in the Rannafast Cup final... Hope the lads can do it..! With the facilities and set-up the school have now, maybe this is the start of an Abbey dynasty!!

Brick Tamlin

i doubt it....another tanking handed out by the champions across newry there on saturday i see

EagleLord

Banana Man

Quote from: EagleLord on November 17, 2010, 01:59:03 PM
Downjim, twit. Newry my arse!

was just thinking that, why would a burren man have newry as his club  ???

supersub

downjim

Its great to know that every other club is envious of us. Success breeds jealously and I hope we can do justice to our fine season by beating our noisy neighbours to lift the double on Saturday.. Move over lads and let the youth through :)