Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto-Gael

With the Ulster Championship replay down for next Sunday in Newry, does anyone know what that means for the all-county league series this Friday and the Monday after that??   Fridays or Mondays games postponed or Friday's become starred games??

Anyone able to shed any light?

Cloc Mor

Series 11 has been brought forward and will be played on Friday night.

Statto-Gael

Quote from: Cloc Mor on May 13, 2007, 10:02:47 PM
Series 11 has been brought forward and will be played on Friday night.

Thanks CM - where did you see that ?  So the June 1st fixtures will now be down for this Friday as they were the next set of starred games?  Whats the reasoning behind that? If Down get past Cavan on Sunday (as I expect they will with some defensive control) then we'll have to have a new set of starred games for June 1st anyway

spiritof91and94

Quote from: DownHead on May 13, 2007, 07:09:57 PM
Quote from: 5iveTimes on May 13, 2007, 11:00:33 AM
Just reading about Colum King, what ever happened to Callum King from Bryansford, is he still playing football or has he given it up completely?

Callum King i believe left football a lock of years ago to pursue his career in boxing!! just wondering does anyone no much about this keeper king, because i just found out that his father Ned was the captin of the last down u-21 team to win the all-ireland!

Callum King has indeed quit football and despite being approached several times has no interest in returning - Ross and DJ also tried to entice him back. He was also U21 this year so youth is on his side.
He was beat in the Ulster Heavyweight Final, and narrowly missed qualifying for the Commonwealth games, his latest craze though is Cage Fighting and recently competed on the Kings Hall bout and was choked in the third round of his fight!!
In talking to Callum he told me POR ruined his career and remember he did throw him in at the deep end in the Div 2 Final in Croke Park and then took him off again - Callum was only a raw 18 year old at this stage and despite intervention from Eamonn Burns who was instrumental in Callum's career up to this point, POR wouldnt listen on Eamonn's plea to hold back on him for a few years and in the end Bryansford and Down lost a future star. Thats the case with Callum King......wonder if he would have made yesterdays team!!

DownFanatic

Yip, Colum King is a son of Ned's. He's been our Senior goalkeeper in Dundrum now for about 5 years. Like a lot of Dundrum ones, he went to the College in Newry. As far as I am aware he done goals for the MacRory in Upper Sixth. He is an excellent shot stopper and his kickouts are good. If John Gibney was still with us it would have been an interesting tussle for the Number 1 jersey.

PS - What is the craic with the fixtures on Friday and Monday?

Square Ball

CHANGES TO

Down GAA Fixtures

Monday 14th May

O'Neills International Sportswear League

Div One

Burren v An Riocht off

Castlewellan v Longstone off

Mayobridge v Liatroim off

Div Two

Annaclone v Darragh Cross

Div Three

Tullylish v Glenn

Dundrum v Bredagh off

PRFL

Ballymartin v Loughinisland

Friday 18th May 7pm

O'Neills International Sportswear League

(Note Change to Next 'Starred' Series)

Div One

Atticall v Loughinisland

Liatroim v Clonduff

Mayobridge v Castlewellan

An Riocht v Bryansford

Kilcoo v Longstone

Rostrevor v Burren

Div Two

Ballymartin v Glasdrumman

Saval v Warrenpoint

Shamrocks v Annaclone

Kilclief v Ballyholland

Carryduff v Downpatrick

Darragh Cross v Clann Na Banna

Div Three

Bright v St. Pauls

Bredagh v Mitchels

Drumgath v Bosco

Glenn v Dundrum

Ardglass v Teconnaught

Saul v Tullylish

Div Four

St. Michaels v St. Johns

Dromara v Aghaderg

Drumaness v Aughlisnafin

Sunday 20th May 12pm

(NB. Earlier Start)

PRFL One

Warrenpoint v Clonduff

Rostrevor v Bryansford

Downpatrick v An Riocht

Mayobridge v Longstone

Burren v Liatroim

PRFL Two

Annaclone v Carryduff

Castlewellan v Saval

Kilclief v Tullylish

Loughinisland v Ballymartin

theres been a lot of changes
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

cloneman

Annaclone 1-05 Darragh Cross 1-09

Awful game and an awful performance by Annaclone.  Didn't deserve anything from the game.

Should reserve teams seriously be expected to play this Sunday?

DownFanatic

Good result for Darragh. Their form has picked up again with the inclusion of Brendan McGourty and Gary Kennedy.
Any word on the Tullylish v Glenn game?

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: cloneman on May 14, 2007, 10:03:13 PM

Good point Cloneman!!

Whats the craic there?

This is depriving all the reserve players in East and South down, their management, and the referees the chance to watch the county match!!

Sort it out County Board!!

johnneycool

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on May 15, 2007, 10:17:39 AM
Quote from: cloneman on May 14, 2007, 10:03:13 PM

Good point Cloneman!!

Whats the craic there?

This is depriving all the reserve players in East and South down, their management, and the referees the chance to watch the county match!!

Sort it out County Board!!

Surely a sunday morning throw in is the answer, unless all the mass goers get a tad annoyed!!

passedit

The premier reserve matches are at 12 noon and the east and south down games are at 7pm.

Are ye all going to Newry on yer bicycles?
Don't Panic

thewobbler

South Down reserve games have been postponed.

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: passedit on May 15, 2007, 11:18:37 AM
The premier reserve matches are at 12 noon and the east and south down games are at 7pm.

Are ye all going to Newry on yer bicycles?

You try going to the game in Newry at 4.15 then getting out of the traffic to go play a game in Hollywood or Carryduff or Teconnaught at 7!!

It's not gonna happen!!!

amallon

Thank god the SD Reserve games are off. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

6th sam

County board needs to do all in their power to make sure Sunday's match brings a full house to Newry.
I hope the county's publicity machine  promotes the fact that it's a superb venue and Down's 1st home USFC in 8 years,it is not all-ticket and kids get in free.In addition Down's performance in Breffni gives hope that we could get a bit of a run this year.
I hope the county board sees that this fixture offers an opportunity to resurrect a bit of enthusiasm in the county.As an  East Down man ,I had reservations about developing Newry,but I now accept that in terms of facilities,location and access it is among the best venues in the country.Here's hoping we have close to 20,000 roaring Down to victory on our home turf.

PS. Now that we have Newry,the sooner the county board sells Newcastle to develop a centre of excellence for training our county teams,the better!