Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Bryansford were very unlucky not to at least get a draw today, but Burren kept calm at all times and being able to introduce Eoin McCartan made a big difference. He engineered a couple of vital frees and and was able to find a bit of space against a previously effective Ford defence. He has been incredibly unlucky with injuries over the years, so he deserves some success at last.

The intermediate final was a pretty strange game which Tullylish should have won much more comfortably. Annaclone got a soft goal with the last touch of the first half which left them four up, but they were taken apart after the break. The score in the second half, as far as I remember, was Annalone 2-0 and Tullylish 3-2, which indicates a couple of dodgy full back lines.

The two new recurits for Annaclone both came off the bench but made little impact. If they had been unavailable until next season, Annaclone might have had a more settled squad.

DaddyLongLegs

well done to the County Board for the organisation apart from 2 things- firstly the PA is a disaster, secondly, I found it hard at half-time of the IFC final to cope with a sevens game, the skills competetion and a raffle. Sometimes less is more.

Dubh driocht. totally agree with that. The PA system is absolutely terrible - its like listening Radio 3 on a transistor radio!! Surely in this day and age we can do better than this!

And cramming everything into half time of the intermediate match was ill-thought out (& you forgot (or maybe you missed!) he club ground awards which also took place at the same time - the match had actually restarted before the award "ceremony" was over. Now in my opinion, if we are going to publicly acknowledge a Club or person at such an event, we should make it an event - the presenter should be in the middle of the pitch and one by one the receipents names called out to come and receive the award - make it meaningful!

Regarding presentations generally, why are these done so close to the stand where only a very limited number of people can see what is going on. Again, why cant we have a small platform to pull out onto the pitch where everyone can see whats happenig - even with no platform it would be better than we had today where the presentations were done on the sideline, where the majority could see FA and a useless PA system meant they could hear FA as well!!

And on to price - I just thought £12 and £3 for a programme was ripping the arse out of it a bit today - suddenly everything to do with Down football has become terribly expensive.

But to finish on a positive note - two cracking games played in great spirits, in an excellent venue, good football, good refereeing and a thourghably enjoyable afternoon. Roll on next year!!

Mid Down Gael

Congratulations to Burren and Tullylish on two fabulous successes today. Two great finals.

Pangurban

It took 4 teams to produce 2 great finals, so congragulations to all 4, and lets not forget all the Refs who were excellent

Banana Man

2 absolute belters of games

county board would have lifted some ren from that yesterday

IFC probably the most open gam I have seen in a long time, nearly as many goals as points scored ffs, couldn't have asked for more

Agree the PA left a lot to be desired

CHB1

Great games yesterday.  Think Bryansford were a little too one dimensional in that everything had to go through Kalum King in Full Forward.  It definitely worked but I believe their forwards especially in the first half werent moving much.  Ciaran Brannigan was very quiet.  At times in First half Bryansford were breaking from defence and had nothing to aim for except for the high ball into King.  I think McGrath got the timing of his substitutions slightly wrong as he made them when Bryansford were gaining momentum in the 2nd half.  Young Savage had a good game for the Ford - has to be applauded for stepping up to hit that 50 at the end, felt sorry for him as he missed it but he can hold his head high this morning for a great exhibition of scoring. 

Congratulations to Burren on winning the game, think Dawson just got the better with regard to substitutions etc.  Eoin McCartan caused a few problems when coming on - gave the ford defence something to think about.  Burren free taker was immense especially from the wrong side for a right footer.

Yesterdays final bodes well for the county on the whole as both teams are very young and both will certainly be back for future honours I believe.  Kalum King has had a great year and I really feel he will improve next year in county colours as this was his first real involvement at senior inter county level.  Luke Howard is another who was injured at the start of this year but will be in and around the starting 15 next year also.
Refereeing was good yesterday also - couldnt really recall any unfair decisions or bias.

downjim

well done to the mighty Burren yesterday! But can someone answer this, how many of the Burren team never played underage football for them. I know that Daniel, Eoin and Geard McCarten played for Tullylish and Rostrevor. I heard that Alan Higgins and Declan Rooney played for the Point at underage along with a sub Karl Maxwell.

They are definitely not the best county champions we have had in a while but they have plenty of heart and got the breaks throughout the championship. At least Down will be feared in Ulster again!

pointlad

Quote from: downjim on October 18, 2010, 10:54:09 AM
well done to the mighty Burren yesterday! But can someone answer this, how many of the Burren team never played underage football for them. I know that Daniel, Eoin and Geard McCarten played for Tullylish and Rostrevor. I heard that Alan Higgins and Declan Rooney played for the Point at underage along with a sub Karl Maxwell.

They are definitely not the best county champions we have had in a while but they have plenty of heart and got the breaks throughout the championship. At least Down will be feared in Ulster again!

Have to agree with you there also. Decky Rooney lives in the point and has done all his life also Ally Higgins and Karl Maxwell are both 'Point Senior hurlers. This is practically stealing players from one club because its generally "better" a club can only get better if its players like that play for them. The hurling is good enough for 2 fellas, Why cant the football be?

centre 3/4s

Well done to everyone involved yesterday great days entertainment and fantastic sporting spactacle.
One sour note from the senior game though was the referee who i honestly thought had a complete nightmare.

alba2

Decky Rooney was born in Burren and lived in Burren Hill for his formative years attending Carrick Primary school and playing ALL underage in Burren.  Alan Higgins and Karl Maxwell have played all their football in burren from underage right to senior.  Higgins lives in Burren hill at present and Maxwell lives across from vivo. the fact they play hurling for the point does not mean they should play footy for them - they only play hurling there as Burren dont have a team.
But today these three along with the three Mc cartans are all county champions........ Fair play to them...

Banana Man

alba 2 you seem to know a right bit about it for a Killeavy man  ;)

EagleLord

thewobbler

A mainly nationalist town the size of Warrenpoint shouldn't have any problem getting 15 division one standard players without complaining about their neighbours.

Square Ball

This weeks fixtures

Wed Oct 20th(7 30)
O Neills ACFL Div 2
Ballyholland v Kilclief(L Smith)
Sun Oct 24th (2 00)
O Neills ACFL Div 1
Burren v Clonduff(G Corrigan)
O Neills ACFL Div 2
Ballymartin v Saval(N Morgan)
Tullylish v Loughinisland(M Devlin)
Warrenpoint v Ballyholland(S O Hanlon)
Shamrocks v Annaclone(D Brogan)
O Neills ACFL Div 3
Dundrum v Saul(G Brannigan)
Ardglass v Glenn(C Brannigan)
Drumgath v Drumaness(E Mc Carthy)
St Johns v Darragh Cross(D Cotter)
St John Bosco v Bredagh(D Kearns)
Glasdrumman v Carryduff(P Brannigan)
Joe Mc Crickard Cup
Portaferry(3 00)
Ballycran v Ballygalget(D Carr)

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

No hoper

Any word yet on if there is an under 20/21 competition this year or when it starts. And is the 2nds league finished