Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackjack

Brick, 'Rooney aint the Full Back we need' who is??? its fair to say that over the past number of seasons various players have been tried in this position and failed! Whats the point in persisting with the same fellas in a position like this.

Ronan Murtagh, although being one of the best club forwards in Div.2 has done very little to inspire for the county as a forward, if he can improve his defensive skills and control his temper he can cause problems as an attacking half back IMO.

Having said that, I can see Murtagh being switched into the forward line at some stage and Rooney moving out if things don't go to plan.

To be fair to Jackie Lynch, if he kept his 'head' in Crossmaglen he can keep it anywhere.

The half forward line have a major job ahead on sunday, but with Walsh and Doyle (later in the year) to come in if they can force their way then it might not be the disater you think.

Down should win the midfield, cavan have been poor in this dept throughout the league- even with mccabe. On mccabe, he will be a sweeper on sunday, he did this throughout the league, any time down attack he will drop back infront of benny and co.

Disaster of a team is a bit of an over exaggeration. What would your team be? And remember Ross and DJ are not togging out, you have to use what is available! ;)

God help the whole set up if they are beat on Sunday.

downredblack

The last time I saw McCrickard catch a high ball for Down  was in the warm up before the Sligo match a couple of years ago . So I'm happy enough to see Lynch get his chance .

Lecale2

What has happened to the County Board Office in Castlewellan. I called round this morning to deliver some mail and there it was not there.

bridgegael

i see over on hoganstand they say 'mayobridge clubman declan rooney is looking forward to leading out down on sunday'.
a tiny bit of research wouldn go amiss.  this isn't the first time they have been wrong!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Fear Boirche

Quotei see over on hoganstand they say 'mayobridge clubman declan rooney is looking forward to leading out down on sunday'.

Oh no  :-[

Square Ball

anyone directions to the Drumgath pitch from Belfast?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

charlie stubbs

any truth in the rumour that mark connolly and dan mccabe are leaving for the states after a falling out with drumgath?

Square Ball

if I get there I will ask  ;)

where is it?

TORGAEL

Charlie, connolly & mcabe had planned to go to the states this summer for quite a while now-theres been no falling out.

Square Ball, just head for banbridge & take the left turn for rathfriland [opposite the creamery] off the main dual carraigeway.when you get to the top of the hill at rathfriland turn right & go down the hill, taking the road for newry.the pitch is about 1.5 miles out the newry road-you cant miss it.

Square Ball

Quote from: TORGAEL on May 10, 2007, 10:28:20 PM
Charlie, connolly & mcabe had planned to go to the states this summer for quite a while now-theres been no falling out.

Square Ball, just head for banbridge & take the left turn for rathfriland [opposite the creamery] off the main dual carraigeway.when you get to the top of the hill at rathfriland turn right & go down the hill, taking the road for newry.the pitch is about 1.5 miles out the newry road-you cant miss it.

wanna bet

thanks

Class of 99

Couldnt agree more we the full back position has been a mayor worry for a long time. Even Alan Molloy couldnt fill it and sadly the same has to be said for Brendan Grant. He is undoubtedly a good defender so hopefully the number 6 shirt will suit him better.
One positive I did take from the legue was that the defenders seemed more relectunt to foul as any easy way out, compared to previous years.
Maybe D.J. has them defending a little more cleverly.
I think Jackie has to be given a chance and I fancy him strongly to do a job on McCabe, word from some Cavan colleagues is that he cant run and demands too much of the ball. I hope they arent putting up a smoke screen who can forget the weapon of mass destruction Coleman unleashed on us a few years back.
The half forward line does however give cause for concern, but with the likes of Walsh, Doyle and even maybe Ambrose all injured who else could we have played maybe Boyle in place of car and Burns instead of Mcgovern?.
Im hoping for a good showing from the Down support on Sunday, so we can get behind the team have a funny feeling Doyle and D Rafferty might get to see some Championship football this year, please God im right. ;)

TORGAEL

ACFL DIVISION 3

DRUMGATH 3-6   BREDAGH 0-16

Drumgath got what they deserved from this game.....nothing. They were outplayed by Bredagh throughout the game & only a couple of late goals, one with the last kick of the ball, covered up the cracks in a very poor Drumgath performance. A well deserved Bredagh victory.

DownFanatic

Down ACFL Division 3

Dundrum 0-07  Teconnaught 0-09

Probably like most games the night it pissed down. We were never ahead at any stage. It was 0-05 all at halftime. They had most of the ball in the 2nd half and were denied three goal chances by our excellent keeper who kept us in it. We never really lookd like winning. It was just one of those nights were it didnt happen for us. Bredagh on Monday will be a very big game.

DownFanatic

Down ACFL Division 1
Bryansford 3-06 Castlewellan 1-11

passedit

St Pauls 1.11 Glen 1.9.  Glen up 8:4 at half time, dissappeared in the second half. Having your full back kick the ball out (especially when he's only kicking it 30 metres) is suicide. Micky Curran up to his usual standard.

Tullylish 10 Mitchells 5. walk in the park for Tullylish.
Don't Panic