Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

McKernan is unlucky, as he was outstanding in the three big games at Croke Park which usually decide the selection. However, he was also dropped earlier in the championship, which may have counted against him, and he should hopefully have plenty more chances to seal his All Star. Realistically, four is as many as beaten finalists can expect. Benny is our inspiration and had get to his recognition at last, while it is difficult to see how Clarke and Hughes could have missed out. McVeigh was the best keeper in Ireland, pure and simple, so we can be pretty happy with the outcome overall. We have not even had a nomination for over a decade and now we have four on the team.l

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: supersub on October 13, 2010, 10:23:06 PM
Quote from: twice is nice on October 13, 2010, 09:49:49 PM
Quote from: True Blue on October 13, 2010, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Leo on October 13, 2010, 05:14:59 PM
All-Star awards for McVeigh, Clarke, Hughes & Coulter.
While McKernan will feel unlucky I think the selectors got it right.

Congrats to the 4 boys on their awards. Have to feel for Kevin McKernan, he would have been my first choice out of the down nominees. I feel he was sacraficed as he would have taken 1 of the cork half backs, ie Canty, leaving cork with 3 & down with 5. it was never going to happen that down would have more. the last time the runners-up had more than the winners was in 91 when meath had more awards than down because of the dublin saga. I think the fact that nearly every pundit tipped kevin at CHB just makes it more of a shock. i suppose the cork supporters will be wondering how not 1 forward of the all ireland champions didnt make the cut.
congrats to our allstar recipients, each 1 fully deserves their accolade but probably none more so than benny, a brilliant servant to down and  all round leader illustrated better than ever in the game with donegal!! His displays for down over the years alone leave him worthy of his award. With regard to kevin, yes he will feel rightly aggrieved as i believe he would have been stronger candidate than philip jordan, think cantys pedigree over the last few years perhaps swayed the decision but have no doubt that after shaky start to our ulster campaign kevin has made no 6 his own and will continue to show his worth there in return becoming household name throughout ireland and spoken in same regards as the bennys, cantys etc.. an allstar will be on his mantlepiece in the future hopefully along with many other honours shared with his teammates!! both down and club(burren) { clonallon is a townland between burren and warrenpoint} where as hilltown is neighbouring ;D club to the bridge, thats free geography lesson for t o h

where most of the players are from ;) haha

The rest live in and around Saval/Mayobridge!!! ;D

UGAAWA

Ulster Gaels' big night out!

Tickets are now on sale for the 23rd Ulster GAA Writers' Association Banquet which will be held this year in the Slieve Russell Hotel, Co Cavan.

The Quinn Insurance Ulster GAA Writers Banquet is the only awards ceremony that honours players from all codes and grass-roots Gaels.

There is plenty to celebrate this year with Down's run to the All-Ireland SFC final, Tyrone lifting the minor title, Antrim's hurlers regaining their place amongst the sport's big guns, St Galls' march to All Ireland glory, the ladies of Tyrone and Donegal on the All Ireland stage, Paul Brady continuing to set the world handball benchmark and the Saffron camógs' All Ireland among the Ulster success stories.

As usual a star-studded guest list from all codes will celebrate all that is good in Gaelic games in the province. Tickets are priced £50 or €60 and are available by contacting Tony McGee at tony.mcgee@btinternet.com or visit www.ulstergaawriters.com for full details.

Accommodation in the Slieve Russell Hotel can be booked here: www.slieverussell.ie.
Click here for a list of alternative accommodation in the area:  http://www.irishtourist.com/directory/accommodation/north/cavan/

T O Hare

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 13, 2010, 10:27:01 PM
Quote from: supersub on October 13, 2010, 10:23:06 PM
Quote from: twice is nice on October 13, 2010, 09:49:49 PM
Quote from: True Blue on October 13, 2010, 06:18:55 PM
Quote from: Leo on October 13, 2010, 05:14:59 PM
All-Star awards for McVeigh, Clarke, Hughes & Coulter.
While McKernan will feel unlucky I think the selectors got it right.

Congrats to the 4 boys on their awards. Have to feel for Kevin McKernan, he would have been my first choice out of the down nominees. I feel he was sacraficed as he would have taken 1 of the cork half backs, ie Canty, leaving cork with 3 & down with 5. it was never going to happen that down would have more. the last time the runners-up had more than the winners was in 91 when meath had more awards than down because of the dublin saga. I think the fact that nearly every pundit tipped kevin at CHB just makes it more of a shock. i suppose the cork supporters will be wondering how not 1 forward of the all ireland champions didnt make the cut.
congrats to our allstar recipients, each 1 fully deserves their accolade but probably none more so than benny, a brilliant servant to down and  all round leader illustrated better than ever in the game with donegal!! His displays for down over the years alone leave him worthy of his award. With regard to kevin, yes he will feel rightly aggrieved as i believe he would have been stronger candidate than philip jordan, think cantys pedigree over the last few years perhaps swayed the decision but have no doubt that after shaky start to our ulster campaign kevin has made no 6 his own and will continue to show his worth there in return becoming household name throughout ireland and spoken in same regards as the bennys, cantys etc.. an allstar will be on his mantlepiece in the future hopefully along with many other honours shared with his teammates!! both down and club(burren) { clonallon is a townland between burren and warrenpoint} where as hilltown is neighbouring ;D club to the bridge, thats free geography lesson for t o h

where most of the players are from ;) haha

The rest live in and around Saval/Mayobridge!!! ;D

There is also part of the parish in Donegal, Fermanagh and Louth  ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

behind the wire

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

Up Aghaderg
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Banana Man

lads what is the process for picking the allstars, I can't get my head round the Graham Canty one, is it a bit like giggs getting the sports personality award from the BBC a year ago??/

centre 3/4s

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

Brick Tamlin

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

maldini

who was Charlie Harrison marking in Breffni that night?
never noticed any potential allstars in the Sligo defence

maldini

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

amallon

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

meatsy86

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

Trap 2

maldini think he was marking ronan murtagh for the second half anyway!! he held rony to just the 1.5!!! that obviously sealed his all star!!! joke!!

idontbelieveit

SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

True Blue

Quote from: idontbelieveit on October 14, 2010, 08:33:35 PM
SFC final
Burren v Bryansford

IFC final
Annaclone v Tullylish

MFC
Kilcoo v Rostrevor

same for me
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.