Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mourne Rover

Snoopdog's thinking may be a little confused here. An Riocht made the quarter finals this year, which involved winning one match. The idea that the present squad may never get as far again is hard to swallow. If Marty Clarke was living in Australia, he would not get the chance to play for his club anyway, and the suggestion that he would miss an All Ireland final replay to take a holiday is childish in the extreme.

CHB1

Burren v Mayobridge
Kilcoo v Bryansford
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath

Banana Man

was in castlewellan yesterday for the junior games, Mitchell's up and drumaness worthy winners of championship. Couldn't help but feel sorry for teconnaught though, top of the league all year then get beat in the playoffs to go up

The Chief

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on October 04, 2010, 12:06:39 PM
Quote from: When We Win on October 04, 2010, 09:50:32 AM
Annaclone were not impressive in the win over Darragh Cross. They were on top for the first 20 minutes but never threatened much after that. One point in the second half would not be good enough to win any club championship. I have not seen Tullylish this year but the reports seem to suggest they are fired up for this one. Darragh Cross will be kicking themselves that they didnt play in the first half. I was suprised they had so few score takers. MDG, do you know who the ref was by they way? I thought he had a miserable day and have absolutely no idea what happened in the second half when the lads got lined. By my timing he only played 28 second half minutes despite a few stoppages. I am suprised Darragh Cross managements didnt pick up on that.

Gabriel Tumelty of Bright

The ref was lenient in a lot of his decisions, particularly to Darragh players who were lucky they didn't have 2 or 3 sent off

He blew for full time very early, and didn't add anytime on. Annaclone always seemed to be in control after a good opening 10/15 minutes

Does anyone have details for the semi finals of the IFC?

amallon

SFC semi finals
Burren v Mayobridge
Bryansford v Kilcoo

IFC semi finals
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

The Chief

Quote from: Banana Man on October 04, 2010, 03:52:02 PM
was in castlewellan yesterday for the junior games, Mitchell's up and drumaness worthy winners of championship. Couldn't help but feel sorry for teconnaught though, top of the league all year then get beat in the playoffs to go up
2 entertaining games yesterday in Castlewellan, congrats to Drumaness who were strong all over the park and were the hungrier team throughout

bredaghgael86

SFC semi finals
Burren v Mayobridge
Bryansford v Kilcoo

IFC semi finals
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2010, 11:26:43 AM
RadioGAAGAA is harsh to suggest that Marty Clarke should simply have waited for three weeks.

I'm not saying that is my opinion.

I'm saying people will say it.

Personally speaking, I'm glad he went on holiday, we're possibly only still in the championship 'cos he did....  ;)
i usse an speelchekor

Brick Tamlin

SFC semi finals
Burren v Mayobridge
Bryansford v Kilcoo

IFC semi finals
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath

Minus15

SFC semi finals
Burren v Mayobridge
Bryansford v Kilcoo

IFC semi finals
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath

razor

SFC semi finals
Burren v Mayobridge
Bryansford v Kilcoo

IFC semi finals
Annaclone v Carryduff
Tullylish v Drumgath

Mid Down Gael

Mourne Rover you have been very defensive of Marty Clarke here, but the bottom line is he let his club team mates, management and supporters down big time by deciding to go on holiday last week. There where 35 other members on the Down squad and they all remained dedicated to their clubs when needed most. In the end of the day the club is he heart and soul of the GAA and Marty let his down. He wont miss the international rules you can be sure.

centre 3/4s

snoopdog

Quote from: Mourne Rover on October 04, 2010, 02:57:01 PM
Snoopdog's thinking may be a little confused here. An Riocht made the quarter finals this year, which involved winning one match. The idea that the present squad may never get as far again is hard to swallow. If Marty Clarke was living in Australia, he would not get the chance to play for his club anyway, and the suggestion that he would miss an All Ireland final replay to take a holiday is childish in the extreme.
maybe he is in Australia signing a new contract with Collingwood.
If he came home a couple of years ago to play in a league final its hard to see him intentionally miss out on the club championship on his first year back.
just my childish opinion though.

Mourne Rover

All the Down players have been under huge pressure in recent months, but no one else had to deal with the same weight of expectation as Marty Clarke. He walked away from the offer of a renewed professional contact in Australia to come home and play Gaelic football. Within a short period of time, he went from being a virtual unknown outside his own county to become the  most talked about figure in his sport. Supporters felt he should win games by himself and commentators analysed everything he said and did. By the end of it all, after Down lost the All Ireland final by a point, there is a fair chance that he was drained at every level. It is quite possible that his partner needed a holiday as well. In an ideal world, he might have shrugged it off and turned out for his club. Instead, he took a short break. He is 22 years of age, and we should give him a bit of space.