Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Quote from: umpire on August 07, 2010, 05:01:55 PM
Really disapointing for Rostrevor management and players. They have lost in first round for past 2 years.
They need to pick up and win few games to stay out of bottom 3. going to be tough.

Last three years! Loughisland hilltown ballyholland.

Long Ball

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 07, 2010, 03:00:52 PM
Jesus Matt Fitzpatricks previews to the weekend championship fixtures are ridiculous. For the Dundrum v Carryduff game he mentions 6 Dundrum players and not a mention off their greatest player Paul McComiskey.
In Kilcoo v RGU game he refers to a Brian Brannigan in defence for us and there isnt even a Brian Brannigan from the parish never mind featuring tomorrow. Also he states that Sean Devlin and Nial Morgan have been in outstanding scoring form all season. Sean has not started a game all season while Nial Morgan is our full back. None off the forwards he mentioned have scored heavily while Anthony Devlin and especilally Donal and Barry Kane have been our top scorers.
In the Burren v Loughinisland preview he says the island will look too Ben ORielly and Cormac OToole for inspiration, both who are not even in the country at present.
I could go on all day but i think its time this man was freed off the role off this. Has never been up to the task and he continually uses the same phrases etc...  Rant over!
Totally agree- he has been awful for years. I remember a couple of years ago he mentioned 5 Castlewellan players who hadn't played for the team for at least a year and some for several years!!!! And he gets paid for that!!!!!
Drive yer boot in her!!

5 Sams

Anybody out in Saval???? Any updates?
The Aristocrat Years

knockitdown

Mayobridge 4-15
warrenpoint 0-8

Big crowd.

10 mins left

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

wobbller

Quote from: Long Ball on August 07, 2010, 07:03:02 PM
Jesus Matt Fitzpatricks previews to the weekend championship fixtures are ridiculous. For the Dundrum v Carryduff game he mentions 6 Dundrum players and not a mention off their greatest player Paul McComiskey.
In Kilcoo v RGU game he refers to a Brian Brannigan in defence for us and there isnt even a Brian Brannigan from the parish never mind featuring tomorrow. Also he states that Sean Devlin and Nial Morgan have been in outstanding scoring form all season. Sean has not started a game all season while Nial Morgan is our full back. None off the forwards he mentioned have scored heavily while Anthony Devlin and especilally Donal and Barry Kane have been our top scorers.
In the Burren v Loughinisland preview he says the island will look too Ben ORielly and Cormac OToole for inspiration, both who are not even in the country at present.
I could go on all day but i think its time this man was freed off the role off this. Has never been up to the task and he continually uses the same phrases etc...  Rant over!
Totally agree- he has been awful for years. I remember a couple of years ago he mentioned 5 Castlewellan players who hadn't played for the team for at least a year and some for several years!!!! And he gets paid for that!!!!!
Matt,I believe, has been sick for a while and is just finding his feet again.When you've all done as much for Down GAA as Matt Fitzpatrick has done you may be able to comment.He does his best and although it may not be up to the exacting standards expected nowadays,he has always done his best!

gaaaddict

Quote from: knockitdown on August 07, 2010, 07:15:17 PM
Mayobridge 4-15
warrenpoint 0-8

Big crowd.

10 mins left

Final result?

knockitdown

Ft: mayobridge 4.19 warrenpoint 0.10

ht: an riocht 0-03 clonduff 0.01

knockitdown

Clonduff 1.01
an riocht 1.06

j Clark goal for the kingdom after j fegan scored clonduffs goal.

J Clarke on fire, 1.03

knockitdown

Clonduff 2.05
anriocht 1.08

Ft

Mid Down Gael

The kingdom left that one behind in Saval. Six up with ten minutes left and let the yellows back into it. Why they wouldn keep kicking the ball into John Clarke is hard to understand as he cleaned the Clonduff defence.
The bridge didnt have to get out of second gear and stil hammered a poor point outfit. The Bridge are certainly the team to beat.

Mayobridge scorers: Cathal Magee 1-3, Ronan Sexton 1-2, Ryan Brady 1-2,  Brendan Coulter 0-4, Conor Garvey 1-1, Conleth OHare 0-1, John Caldwell 0-1, Adrian Barry 0-1, Shane Ohare 0-1, Miceal Lively 0-1, Seamus Grant 0-1 Michael Walsh 0-1 and Conleth OHare 0-1.

Warrenpoint scorers: Ross McGarry 0-6, Gary Boyle 0-3 and Rauiri Cown 0-1.

An Riocht scorers: John Clarke 1-3, Chris Killen 0-2, Paddy Cole 0-1, James Cunningham 0-1, Martin Clarke 0-1.

Clonduff scorers: Jason Brown 1-2, John Fegan 1-0, Paul McPolin 0-1, Aidan Carr 0-1 and Arthur McConnville 0-1.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: wobbller on August 07, 2010, 07:34:36 PM
Quote from: Long Ball on August 07, 2010, 07:03:02 PM
Matt,I believe, has been sick for a while and is just finding his feet again.When you've all done as much for Down GAA as Matt Fitzpatrick has done you may be able to comment.He does his best and although it may not be up to the exacting standards expected nowadays,he has always done his best!

I am not suggesting Matt has not done his best all i am asking for is accuracy in previews and reviews. Also, im not criticising what Matt has done for Down gaa in terms off administration, he is a great gael. But i think he could be more accurate. to say Carryduff v Dundrum is a local derby is just not right. a derby with two clubs 25 miles apart. I realise his job is not easy and its easy to pick holes, fair play to him for trying his best.

thewobbler

Agreed MDG. Matt has done more for football coverage in this county than most, but the basic fact is there are only a handful of times in a year when Down club football gets a focus in the Irish News, and it really does need to be right.

Matt's assumptions have become legendary over the years, and no harm would ever arise from them, but the question has to be asked if he is the best man for this job.

thegael

thewobbler grow up you see you have the notion that you are always the best man for every job !! Inflated idea about your own capabilities ! Don't be so nasty and leave it to the legend that is Matt.( or don't buy the paper if you don't like it)

the gael takes no prisoners!

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundroma on August 07, 2010, 05:25:53 PM
dundrum 0-16
carryduff 1-13

We were 0-08 0-04 down at halftime against the wind. They rattled in a goal at the start of the 2nd half and we looked dead and buried.

However, an outstanding period of football saw us bang over 8 points in a row. The highlight of this was McComiskey scoring five points from play in succession in the space of eight minutes.

We were two up approaching the hour mark but a Conall Earley free and a point with the last kick of the game from Cian Slevin levelled the game.

McComiskey was the star player on view ending up with 0-11 to his name. Decent enough game of football. Just a pity we have to wait five weeks for the replay.