Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 29, 2007, 09:26:22 PM
I would still prefer to see 15 Down men on our team. I know Shane King came in four years ago, but he had moved to Newcastle, was playing for Bryansford and was employed as a coach by the county board. .

Adrian Scullion?

imtommygunn

You're more than welcome to him!

Don't get me wrong - very very good footballer and would definitely get on your team. However way more trouble than he's worth - a lot of talk and a lot less action. How many news articles has he been in now?? Must be a record for a GAA player!

An Cloch Scoilte

Don't want him or don't need him.
Good player for Queens but not up to it at County senior level!!
Let him stay in Antrim!

Brick Tamlin

Doesnt surprise me at all that he would be looking toward Down for a move. He has alot of pals from Down and would have always been a Down Sympathiser.
id welcome him into the fold, dont think he would get away with as much shite if he was playing for Down.

passedit

Quotedont think he would get away with as much shite if he was playing for Down.

Jazus Brick, and your evidence to back up that statement is?
Don't Panic

downredblack

Any word on the game at Saval ? Could someone post the starting 15 ?

stpauls

Down ACFL Division 3 Results 23rd April

Saul 2-12  Ardglass 0-03

Drumgath 1-17  Dundrum 2-09

Bosco 0-15  Bright 0-06

Bredagh 0-08  Teconnaught 1-08

Tullylish 0-13  St Pauls 1-07

Glenn beat Mitchels by 1 Pt

Guys,

does anyone know what the score of Glenn Mitchels match was?

Thanks!

edit: scratch that, got it from the Down GAA website.

Brick Tamlin

well we could do worse, there are plenty of headless chickens already running around the county setup, anotherone (albeit more talented) would make marginal difference.

Down V Louth Starting 15

1) Micky Mc Veigh
2) Daniel Mc Cartan
3) Declan Rooney
4) Kevin Mc Guigan

5) Paul Murphy
6) Brendan Grant
7) Owen Henry

8) Dan Gordon
9) Collie Mc Crickard

10) James Mc Govern
11) Aiden Carr
12) Rona  Sexton

13) Benny Coulter
14) Packie Downey
15) Danny Hughes (Capt)

Subs Used - Darren Cunningham, Pete Turely, Jackie Lynch, Colm Murtagh, Marty Mc Clean.

Firstly - Saval, great setup down there now, i dont think ive seen a pitch that looks as flat in a long time, looked to be a perfect surface.

The game itself was quite a dull, flat affair with next to no atmosphere or noise about the place, i actually thought there would have been alot more support.

Down Full forward line looked amazing in the first 25 mins of this match, they absolutely destroyed the Louth Defence with Coulter lookin very sharp and Downey proving to be an ideal target man and Danny hughes running his man raggged, all 3 looked to have nailed down their places for the championship as the full forward line. Although things werent as pretty in the 2nd half, in truth Down should have finished the game with 6 goals.

Midfield was able and did what was required, Mc Crickard's distribution was excellent  as was Dan Gordons support play.

Defence was competent and looked energetic, half back line got through a mountain of work with two wing men showing quite well both in defence and bursting forward to support attack. Grant steadied this line by anchoring the middle but still looks like he is a yard off the pace, maybe the heat and hard ground sapped him slightly.
Full Back line was also decent and quite combatitive and didnt really give away a massive amount of typically lazy fouls, but the jury is still out to be honest, Rooney still doesnt look comfortable at 3 and Dan Mc Cartan is definitely not a corner man.

On the Negative side, bottom line is that Louth were shite and offered no resistance in first half, and were only marginally better in the 2nd. Interested spectator in Paul Grimley standing yonder on the bank taking down notes on Downs Excelle nt forward play most likely. :P

5 Sams

How did Paul Murphy do at half back Brick?
Will he threaten Rony Murtagh for that position?
The Aristocrat Years

Brick Tamlin

Both Wing Backs did very well, Murphy had a fine game, fetched 2 great balls out of the clouds in first half and motored quite well. Put in a good hours shift, support play was good aswell as distribution. Dont know about dislodging Murtagh from wing back though, thats all depending on Ross thinkin in terms of tactics and the way he lines the team out against Cavan.

stpauls

Team   Played   Won   Drew   Lost   GF   PF   GA   PA   Diff   Pts
Drumgath   5   4   0   1   9   71   12   39   23   8
Tullylish   4   4   0   0   2   46   2   41   5   8
Bosco   5   3   0   2   7   50   5   43   13   6
Glenn   4   3   0   1   6   22   2   32   2   6
Tec'aught   5   3   0   2   2   31   5   52   -30   6
Bredagh   4   2   1   1   2   38   3   29   6   5
Dundrum   4   2   0   2   6   45   3   49   5   4
Mitchels   5   2   0   3   4   45   8   44   -11   4
Ardglass   5   1   1   3   2   45   5   49   -13   3
Saul   4   1   0   3   4   35   6   21   8   2
St. Paul's   5   1   0   4   10   41   10   59   -18   2
Bright   4   0   1   3   2   43   1   54   -8   1

Lecale2

The Official opening of Ballela pitch is on Sunday afternoon with Down playing Dublin hurlers in a challenge followed by Down Juniors playing Letrim.
How will the County be able to field a senior team when there's a full round of Antrim league matches on Sunday afternoon wth all 3 Ards clubs involved?

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 30, 2007, 12:24:04 PM
The Official opening of Ballela pitch is on Sunday afternoon with Down playing Dublin hurlers in a challenge followed by Down Juniors playing Letrim.
How will the County be able to field a senior team when there's a full round of Antrim league matches on Sunday afternoon wth all 3 Ards clubs involved?

That's a bit of a balls alright. In normal circumstances the clubs will be insisting on the players lining out with them and leave it up to the county board to work with their associates in Antrim to move the fixtures about. If that doesn't happen then I can't see Down lining out full strength against Dublin which is a pity for Ballela who deserve to have a good days opening for all their hard work.

Lecale2

I would have thought that the county management team would see this match as key preparation for the championship. Playing a weakened team does nobody any good.

Brick Tamlin

not disagreeing with you there but name me the weaknesses and tell me the solutions or alternatives. Realistically now and dont be coming up with any of this oul shite where ye have liam doyle playing , or even worse, playin and wearing no 6. Just interested to know what people think are realistic options are