Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down South

Collingwood have poured cold water on speculation that Martin Clarke could return to the AFL some day.

Collingwood's recruitment manager Derek Hine, who visited the Down star on a recent trip to Ireland, said: "I know Martin really well and of course we'd love him to come back at some point in the future but at no stage has he indicated to the club that he would like to do that.

"In all the communication and all the conversations we've had, both in Ireland and since I got back, he's never indicated that. And I wouldn't ask him. I just wouldn't put him in that position."

While Clarke recently revealed that he would never rule out a return to Australia, Hine said the An Riocht clubman was happy to be back home.

"I went to watch him play a game when I was over there and he played really well, which is an indication of how happy he is and how comfortable he is in what he's doing.".

Clarke, who will make his long-awaited Ulster SFC debut for Down against Donegal in Ballybofey tomorrow, played 46 Premiership games for Collingwood before returning home last September to resume his Gaelic football career.

"We really hope that it goes well for him. Martin stayed with me and my family for three years when he was out here and I talk to him regularly, as friends do," Hine added.

Down South

USHC QF  Down 4-24  0-09 Armagh

5 Sams

Harps hammered Banbridge tonight. A real good disciplined performance...especially from our defenders. A few of the older Banbridge lads tried to intimidate and goad some of our young fellas but they held strong to deliver a great result. We're clear on top now...big one next week against our neighbours.
The Aristocrat Years

behind the wire

Quote from: 5 Sams on May 30, 2010, 12:06:30 AM
Harps hammered Banbridge tonight. A real good disciplined performance...especially from our defenders. A few of the older Banbridge lads tried to intimidate and goad some of our young fellas but they held strong to deliver a great result. We're clear on top now...big one next week against our neighbours.

was a very good performance from ballyholland, well drilled and stuck to their task. Coped well with the small pitch, something alot if teams have struggled with this year.

And I'm not just sure why Paul murphy isn't playing against Donegal today, but we will leave that for another time.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

goldenyears

Congrats to Glenn - that's a fine achievement having so many on the minor team.

I could be wrong but credit to Tony Bagnall for a youth policy that is obviously paying dividends + will show in their senior team!

Dannymcfella

Quote from: behind the wire on May 30, 2010, 08:36:10 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on May 30, 2010, 12:06:30 AM

was a very good performance from ballyholland, well drilled and stuck to their task. Coped well with the small pitch, something alot if teams have struggled with this year.

And I'm not just sure why Paul murphy isn't playing against Donegal today, but we will leave that for another time.

We got what was coming to us, we have played like a team of rejects for a while now and got what we deserved last night. Score line could have been more only for one or two unbelivable saves from McAlister. Unless we get the fingers out and improve significantly from number 2 to 25 we will be in trouble.

13aside

congratulations to Down seniors and minors yesterday, a great achievement for both teams to win away from home at the same venue on the same day.More work to be done of course but nevertheless improvement on several levels evident all around-WELL DONE!!

bredaghgael86

Im going to assum not too many saw the hurlers at casement on saturday. but was just wondering why the ballygalget players had their club socks on or showing over the top of the down socks.  some sort of statement perhaps?

Square Ball

The Draws for the 2010 Down Championships in Football and Hurling will take place on Tuesday 8th June in the Canal Court Hotel Newry at 7.30 pm.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

sebastion

It was great to see a performance like they from Benny and the way he spoke in the interview he really means business this year well done ÁN DÚN what a great weekend for our footballers and hurlers, we will look forward to another battle royal with Tyrone

Mid Down Gael

Minor Championship Result

Kilcoo 0-10 Clonduff 0-7

T O Hare

I really dont  think it was fair on clubs on play the minor championship tonight!! First of all most players are in the middle of exams and secondly Down minors were playing on Sunday which meant that most teams had no time to prepare with their full quota of players!! The championship final is not played until the first week of October so i don't see what the rush is for?
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

saved the hay

Agree with T O HARE am new to this forum but whats the hurry as a Glenn man we lost by a point last night in a very tight match away to Burren we had 4 minors played for Down on Sunday they were shattered on Monday night given the toll Sundays game had on them would the senior managers allowed a club champinship match to go ahead 2 days after a county game think not so much for player welfare anyway well done to Burren all the best in the next round

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on May 31, 2010, 02:04:01 PM
Im going to assum not too many saw the hurlers at casement on saturday. but was just wondering why the ballygalget players had their club socks on or showing over the top of the down socks.  some sort of statement perhaps?

I really don't know what that was about and I did notice it but haven't heard anything more about it since.

Was it all the Ballygalget contingent or just Eoin and Stephen Clarke? I can't remember if Darren Flynn or Graham Clarke were also wearing their club socks.

bredaghgael86

Flynn and Graham had the green socks out ovr the top of the black down ones. just odd i thought.