Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Island

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 22, 2010, 11:56:51 AM
Did anybody else get an E Mail from the Loughinisland lad who's stuck in Nigeria? I couldn't afford a grand but I sent him £200 to help him out. I haven't heard if he's home yet. Does anybody know him?

Here's the E Mail.

I need your help urgently
Island Blue <loughinislandgac@hotmail.co.uk>
Add to Contacts
To:   Island Blue <loughinislandgac@hotmail.co.uk>   

Hello,
How are you doing today?.I am really sorry to bother you with this email but i just want you to know what i am facing right now. I am sorry I didn't inform you about my traveling to west africa for a Seminar,i am presently in nigeria now but unfortunately for me i lost my wallet which contains my money and other valuable things in a taxi.I can easily access the internet for now but i am not here with my mobile phone.I want you to assist me urgently with a loan of 1000Pounds to sort-out my hotel bills and to get myself back home. I have spoken to the embassy here but they are not responding to the matter effectively,i promise i will pay you back as soon as i return.Kindly let me know if you can be of help so that i can send you the details you will use to send the money to me here in Nigeria.

Your reply will be greatly appreciated.
Peter

Yes we sort of know him. A conman from Nigeria that forced us to change our emailing list.

behind the wire

Quote from: True Blue on May 22, 2010, 12:46:57 AM
t/lish 3-13 w/point 1-17

the blues slipping and sliding into the bottom 4

wasnt at the game and cant comment but that's a bad defeat for us even away from home. not to many teams are going to lose after putting 20 on the board but we can!!!!

the blues have lost against 3 of the big boys - saval, b/martin & b/holland and picked up wins at d/patrick attical & home to annaclone and gave away a point against banna leading by 6 with 7 min to go.

The point are finding it tough enough this year and have to play island shamrocks & kilclief to round off the first half of the season. all 6 points are needed or we could find ourselves being dragged into a dogfight

was at the game, good entertaining game to watch. could have went either way with about 10 minutes left but tullylish wanted it more and scored a good goal to pull away at the end.

as a neutral i thought the ref had a good game, let the game go a bit and wasnt too fussy. players were allowed to get on with playing which allowed for an entertaining game.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Catchit

The referee was good, never let the new rules become a focal point of the game, which is the way they were intended. Warrenpoint missed quite a few scoreable opportunities, but it was Tullylishs ability to create goal chances that was the deciding figure. W, point also rely too heavily on john Boyle who didn't really perform. McAreavey again the main threat for Tullylish, scoring about 8 and setting up two goals. Still very tight in div 2!

snoopdog

Folks can anyone tell me what players left Aghaderg in the close season and where did they go to.
Heard they lost 4.
Im exiled in atha Cliath so its hard to keep up to date. Cheers.

T O Hare

I was sifting through some newspapers cutouts and old programmes during the week and came across a few things... In the 1992 under 12 county final we played Byransford were a Fintan McGreevey was number 12!!! And when we won the minor championship in 1999 the newspapers also had report from a minor league div 2 final were Aghaderg won easily... They had 6 differnt scorers that day and of the six scorers i believe five have transfered themselves away from the club!!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DownFanatic

Quote from: T O Hare on May 22, 2010, 02:13:55 PM
I was sifting through some newspapers cutouts and old programmes during the week and came across a few things... In the 1992 under 12 county final we played Byransford were a Fintan McGreevey was number 12!!! And when we won the minor championship in 1999 the newspapers also had report from a minor league div 2 final were Aghaderg won easily... They had 6 differnt scorers that day and of the six scorers i believe five have transfered themselves away from the club!!!!!!!

Think that was an Annaclone/Aghaderg amalgamated team Thomas.

Finbarr Rice used to play for the Ford too before he went to the Town. Didnt realise McGreevy played for them too.

The Derg have been hit hard by boys leaving. Colm and Martin Farrell, John McAreavey and Chris McGovern were all Derg men before they parted.

Wind yer neck in

Tom unfortunately for the Ford the list is much longer than the Finty and Finbar ;) Stevie Trainor also played for us before moving at U-14 I think, his Uncle "Shovels" also transferred to Loughinisland in the mid 80's and low and behold he was MOTM in the county final where the blues beat none other than the Ford. Simon Poland and Simon Gribben of course add to the migration up the road, which had its own bad publicity as at that time the Town also managed to get the signature of Gregory McCartan. More recently the 2 young Dorans have signed for the Town having previously played underage for the Ford and a young Newcastle girl, still living in Newcastle is also now plying her trade for the Town u-14's and 16's in football and camogie. I think i'll stop there as its worth pointing out Dundrum, the Fin and Glassdrumman have Newcastle and thus ex Ford players... Mc Elroy, Trainor, Doran, Walker, Small, Smith and well that will do for now. So we at the Ford are not only producing great footballers for our senior teams and ofcourse the various County teams in both mens and ladies teams but we are helping our neighbouring clubs by supplying various players at various stages of developement, some the finished article, some still learning but basically feeding them well with the Town being the main beneficiary. ::)

Long Ball

Quote from: Wind yer neck in on May 22, 2010, 07:44:09 PM
Tom unfortunately for the Ford the list is much longer than the Finty and Finbar ;) Stevie Trainor also played for us before moving at U-14 I think, his Uncle "Shovels" also transferred to Loughinisland in the mid 80's and low and behold he was MOTM in the county final where the blues beat none other than the Ford. Simon Poland and Simon Gribben of course add to the migration up the road, which had its own bad publicity as at that time the Town also managed to get the signature of Gregory McCartan. More recently the 2 young Dorans have signed for the Town having previously played underage for the Ford and a young Newcastle girl, still living in Newcastle is also now plying her trade for the Town u-14's and 16's in football and camogie. I think i'll stop there as its worth pointing out Dundrum, the Fin and Glassdrumman have Newcastle and thus ex Ford players... Mc Elroy, Trainor, Doran, Walker, Small, Smith and well that will do for now. So we at the Ford are not only producing great footballers for our senior teams and ofcourse the various County teams in both mens and ladies teams but we are helping our neighbouring clubs by supplying various players at various stages of developement, some the finished article, some still learning but basically feeding them well with the Town being the main beneficiary. ::)
Castlewellan did not want either Gribben or Poland but allowed them to join as the policy in the club at the time was to accept anyone who wanted to join us and let anyone leave who wanted to leave us. We were glad to see the back of them when they went back down the road as they never really wanted to play for us in the first place.  Finty McGreevy, Gregory McCartan and Finbar Rice all moved to Castlewellan while Stevie trainer has always lived in the parish and should never have gone to the Ford.  Bryansford can't act all holier than thou as they have had their fair share of blow-ins over the years, as have just about every club in the county (with the possible exception of Kilcoo).
There are several ex-town players now with the Fin including 3 who played senior football for us so it works both ways.
Drive yer boot in her!!

DownFanatic

Quote from: Wind yer neck in on May 22, 2010, 07:44:09 PM

Thank you so much. Lets hope the conveyor belt of talent to neighbouring clubs never stops  ;D

Down South

Quote from: Long Ball on May 23, 2010, 08:21:59 AM
as have just about every club in the county (with the possible exception of Kilcoo).

Thats understandable, who in their right mind would move to Kilcoo?

Wind yer neck in

Well I suppose it does work both ways and we in the larger Towns can't play everyone particularly at underage. We have and had many instances of young guys and girls living in Newcastle but playing for neighbouring clubs including the Owens (3-Liatroim), the Kellys (3-Kilcoo) Rooneys (2-Dundrum). Put them all together and we'd definitley beat the Fin  ::). Yet mention of anyone coming our way for whatever reason and the dummies are sput out! McComiskey being a prime example. Surely Down would benefit from him playing at a much higher club level and of course the Ford and the player himself would benefit. From the  previous post its clear other local clubs including Dundrum are benefiting from the surplus players not quite able to make at at Senior level and I didn't mention King or Murphy who have and will play for Dundrum :-\ . The list is not endless but is significant and we in the Ford are not complaining we just are doing our best to provide a reasonable standard of coaching and matchs that is befitting the Gaa in the county. Of course the Town are now feeling the effects of player migration to the mighty Fin. Sad to see the break up of that good minor team of a few years ago but thats what we in the Ford have been living with for many years and all you can do is keep trying to provide the best that you can and hope the players buy into :-X

TheClutch

Posted by: Wind yer neck in 
Well I suppose it does work both ways and we in the larger Towns can't play everyone particularly at underage. We have and had many instances of young guys and girls living in Newcastle but playing for neighbouring clubs including the Owens (3-Liatroim), the Kellys (3-Kilcoo) Rooneys (2-Dundrum). Put them all together and we'd definitley beat the Fin  . Yet mention of anyone coming our way for whatever reason and the dummies are sput out! McComiskey being a prime example. Surely Down would benefit from him playing at a much higher club level and of course the Ford and the player himself would benefit. From the  previous post its clear other local clubs including Dundrum are benefiting from the surplus players not quite able to make at at Senior level and I didn't mention King or Murphy who have and will play for Dundrum  . The list is not endless but is significant and we in the Ford are not complaining we just are doing our best to provide a reasonable standard of coaching and matchs that is befitting the Gaa in the county. Of course the Town are now feeling the effects of player migration to the mighty Fin. Sad to see the break up of that good minor team of a few years ago but thats what we in the Ford have been living with for many years and all you can do is keep trying to provide the best that you can and hope the players buy into 
i dont think ive ever read as much Sh*t in my entire life
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

dundrumite

Quote from: Wind yer neck in on May 23, 2010, 01:56:59 PM
Well I suppose it does work both ways and we in the larger Towns can't play everyone particularly at underage. We have and had many instances of young guys and girls living in Newcastle but playing for neighbouring clubs including the Owens (3-Liatroim), the Kellys (3-Kilcoo) Rooneys (2-Dundrum). Put them all together and we'd definitley beat the Fin  ::). Yet mention of anyone coming our way for whatever reason and the dummies are sput out! McComiskey being a prime example. Surely Down would benefit from him playing at a much higher club level and of course the Ford and the player himself would benefit. From the  previous post its clear other local clubs including Dundrum are benefiting from the surplus players not quite able to make at at Senior level and I didn't mention King or Murphy who have and will play for Dundrum :-\ . The list is not endless but is significant and we in the Ford are not complaining we just are doing our best to provide a reasonable standard of coaching and matchs that is befitting the Gaa in the county. Of course the Town are now feeling the effects of player migration to the mighty Fin. Sad to see the break up of that good minor team of a few years ago but thats what we in the Ford have been living with for many years and all you can do is keep trying to provide the best that you can and hope the players buy into :-X

The Owens are Liatroim through and through and have to my knowledge never played for Ford so what relevance is that to your post?

Also the Kelly's father is from Kilcoo.

Why drag the Finn into your arrogant ball of crap?

Kilcoo are doing alright with their surplus of senior players, winnig seconds and thirds leagues last year. You might want to ask yourself how come Kilcoo can keep their surplus and you lose yours??????

For more like minded people you may want to check this link out. http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ForumPage.aspx

Now if you will, let the adults have sensible debates on this forum. I dread to read the sh@@e on this page when the schools are closed for the summer.

mournerambler

Quote from: Wind yer neck in on May 23, 2010, 01:56:59 PM

Just because your born in a stable doesn't mean that you are a horse.

Jimmyjimson

Lads, who was the A Clarke who came on for Down in the Christy Ring against Westmeath on Saturday ?