Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevor Hill

Quote from: eiled in the bushes on March 13, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
really looking forward to next week.wouldnt miss it,must get there early,sure to be a full house

Man Boobs Fearon reckons we ll only get 10000

Trevor Hill

MDG Ithought King worked hard all night though he looked tired when he came off. Fitzpatrick was off the pace when he came on, though he scored the insurance point. My MOTM was James Colgan again.
Martin McHugh is buying fish suppers in the local chippy.

13aside

well done to Down last night once again.Cannot fault a single player for their committment to the team.Took us a while to settle but played with heart and determination throughout.Had a period of excellent play in the second half which gave us a good lead but also squandered this with some really poor passing but overall showed a passion for the jersey that had been lacking previously.A work in progress and a little further down the line we will reap the rewards for this terrific beginning

D4S

First half last night was atrocious stuff, by both teams, but Donegal definitely looked slightly better and I thought they would push on for the win in the 2nd half.  Donegal completely crowded out the full back line with bodies when we attacked giving no time on the ball whatsoever...took the players a very long time it seemed to cop on to what was going on and to try and break quickly so as not to allow the donegal defenders to get back.  In the 2nd half it seemed that our half forward line were told to push right up the  middle of the field to allow Benny + john clarke space in the full forward line when we attacked, and this definitely worked!  The 2nd half performance from Down was much better overall and this result has left us with a huge chance of promotion.  Best in defence for us would have been McKernan, dan mccartan had a solid 2nd half, and colgan played well.  Ambrose was brilliant in the last 30, and was largely responsible for downs result, with his surging forward runs and superb fielding!!  Up front john clarke was again excellent at winning at times 50/50 ball that was being given into him, and kicked two great points.  Benny caused a lot of problems for donegal and played a huge part also in this great result.  Other players to mention would be Kalum King who I feel is improving all the time and looking fitter now, daniel hughes who runs his socks off every game, alder for the excellent save, and martin clarke for 2 super frees off the ground!

All in all Down did brilliantly to get this result on a damp night, and at times looked lethal when attacking.  We need to improve vastly though for championship time, as you can be sure donegal will play much better than they did last night.  But we have another 3 league games and perhaps even a day out in croke park before then ;)
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

eiled in the bushes

Quote from: Trevor Hill on March 14, 2010, 01:16:52 AM
Quote from: eiled in the bushes on March 13, 2010, 10:04:34 PM
really looking forward to next week.wouldnt miss it,must get there early,sure to be a full house

Man Boobs Fearon reckons we ll only get 10000
there will be a lot more than that.we want to drown out armagh support.will be close tough match.
get some metal in your life

Trevor Hill

As expected the stand is all ticket for the Armagh game. It is pay at the gate for the rest of the ground at the minute.

supersub

ACPRFL Result

Burren 0-3 Rostrevor 2-15

Any others?

marsbarkid

Does anyone know a starting date + the opening fixtures for the EDRFL this season? I know there was an East Down open meeting last Monday when all the registration fees + top 13's had to be submitted.

No hoper

Quote from: supersub on March 14, 2010, 06:58:42 PM
ACPRFL Result

Any others?

Mayobridge 3-21 Bryansford 0-1

Long Ball

ACPRL Castlewellan 0-12 Clonduff 1-09
Drive yer boot in her!!

EagleLord

Quote from: No hoper on March 14, 2010, 08:11:19 PM
Quote from: supersub on March 14, 2010, 06:58:42 PM
ACPRFL Result

Any others?

Mayobridge 3-21 Bryansford 0-1
[/quote

Jaysus that's a hammering! When was that played? Sunday?

southdown

BBC sport website never seem to show photos of Down league games, none again this week after an all-Ulster game v Donegal.  But the Armagh hurlers photos are up.......

goldenyears

I wasnt at Donegal but someone who's opinion I would value highly tells me that Colgan dropping to sweep is leaving us very exposed to the opposition 11 doing damage. He said that v Tipp their number 11 was their best player and again on Saturday with a better player than Dunnion at 11 they would have done more harm. There seems to be no one picking up 11 when Colgan sweeps - is this the case???

southdown

Reading Mickey Harte's book at the minute.  He allowed Gavin Devlin play a similar role to Colgan (ie sweeping and allowing the number opposing number 11 to roam), however this involved all the other defenders and half forwards tackling like trojans. 

Trevor Hill

Saturday nights game is all ticket. The county board/Sean og have just decided that it will be all ticket and tickets will be printed this evening and given to the clubs tomorrow.