Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgy umpire

Obviously had Tipp faced a Down midfield of Rodgers and Gordon, last night would have been a different story. Thought some of D Raff's tackling was superb and as Pangurban said Lavery merited his place on the pitch  more so than Coulter did last night. It was unfortunate that Danny Hughes was unavailable as his work rate and the fact that he is always good for a few points was missed but Down are still well placed for a promotion and will have learnt valuable lessons
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 07, 2010, 11:37:21 AM
It was a rather poor game last night. The main thing I took from it was that we played badly but we still managed to get a result. Thats a very big plus in my book.

Tipp were a very physical side and they proved that we still have a lot of work to do in that area. However, when they ran at us I thought we done very well to try to smother and repulse them. At times we had four or five men surrounding a Tipp player and I think that shows the increased hunger and desire that this group of players possesess.

In terms of personnel, very few really caught the eye. I thought Laverty was excellent. He grabbed three from play and had a hand in a couple of other scores. The pressure was on him tonight to deliver and I think he did just that.

McVeigh was shaky enough in goals and their goal should have been dealt with more effectively while contrary to other posters I thought our defence did alright. Dan McCartan and Dee Rafferty marked diligently while McArdle didn't have a whole pile to do at full back. McKernan bombed forward with purpose in the last quarter and this is a great asset to have. Colgan's man didn't do a helluva lot and I thought he was steady enough. Garvey was slightly off the pace and was probably the weakest of the back six on view.

Ambrose showed glimpses of quality in midfield while King faded after the first twenty minutes. I still think they are a good pairing and King will probably edge out Fitzpatrick come Championship. Fitzpatrick is still a bit green but is great option to bring on.

Up front we were a mixed bag. I commented a few days ago on how McComiskey was not a wing forward and last night proved it. However, I could see James's thinking. Laverty needed his chance to impress in the corner and McComiskey is simply too good a player to have on the bench so he made the necessary sacrifice. Marty Clarke got on the ball a lot but he reallly needs to ease off on the high balls into the full forward line as Tipp were on top on that sector. John Clarke won some great possession, intermittently though, while the best is still to come from Benny. Maginn had an off night.

Mark Poland looked game when introduced, Kearney had no impact while it was good to see Choc Brannigan get some game time late on.

Overall, this result has done some good in that it has quelled the premature hype. The main thing is that we didn't get beat. From what I seen we are still a long long way off the top echelons of the game. The foundations seem to be there though.

Very well said DF. Very comprehensive and accuate report on the game. I thought they should have played Benny at 12 and Paul just in front off Laverty and John Clarke. Him coming through and getting balls laid off would have resulted in many more scores.

umpire

Down 0-14
Tipperary 1-11
Sunday March 07 2010

TIPPERARY snatched a dramatic draw in Newry last night, with Barry Grogan scoring an injury time free to level the game.

Division 2 promotion chasers Down were poor as they struggled to overcome the Tipp challenge.

Brian Mulvihill's scrappy goal, which seemed to be saved by Down 'keeper Brendan McVeigh -- but was given by the umpires -- separated the sides at half-time.

The Mourne men were more composed in the second half, but couldn't hold on for the win despite Aussie Rules returnee Martin Clarke starring.

His link play and eye for a score were the difference as the home side got on top, but Down were unable to put away the opposition and were ripe for the picking.

Some soft frees allowed Tipp to get back in the game, and Down were made to pay with that late equaliser.

The last grasp free meant a share of the spoils, with Tipperary the happier side at the end.

Scorers -- Down: M Clarke 0-5 4f, C Laverty 0-3, J Clarke 0-3, P McComiskey 0-2 2f, C Maginn 0-1. Tipperary: C Sweeney 0-5 4f, B Grogan 0-3 3f, B Mulvihill 1-0, C Aighleart 0-2,, P Austin 0-1,

Down: B McVeigh; D McCartan, B McArdle, D Rafferty; K McKernan, J Colgan, C Garvey; A Rodgers, K King; C Maginn, M Clarke, P McComiskey; C Laverty, J Clarke, B Coulter. Subs: P Fitzpatrick for K King HT, S Kearney for C Maginn 40, M Poland for C Laverty 57, G McCartan for P McComiskey 67.

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald; N Curran, C McDonald, A Morrissey; C Aylward, R Costigan, C McGrath; G Hannigan, S Grogan; B Mulvihill, P Austin, J Cagney; C Sweeney, B Coen, B Grogan. Subs: S Hahessy for B Coen HT, S Carey for J Cagney 42, P Acheson for P Austin 52, A Rockett for S Grogan 68,

Referee: J Curley (Meath)

charlieTully

When we came under pressure we reverted to the old days of numerous fist passes in dangerous areas, very lucky not to give a goal away near the end as a result of this. plus lumping in high ball after high ball which their big defenders mopped up with ease. the low ball to the corners in the first 20 mins caused tipp all sorts of problems. They were pushing the physical battle to the very limit and beyond at times, and got away with a lot. plus the ref moved the ball forward at least 3 times to leave an easy free for them. we did not get the rub of the green either with bennys goal chance just wide and clarkes going over the cross bar. still the glass is half full, undefeated in three league games.

Mourne Rover

The glass is more than half full, as there is a spirit and organisation about Down which has been missing for a while. We still have defensive problems, and we could certainly do with the return of Liam Doyle, Aidan Carr and Paul Murphy to the squad, but we are making progress.

Brendan McVeigh's performance did not help last night, as, although he is a fine keeper, there was a lack of certainty about his play. It was summed up int he first half when he had the ball in his hands, with a huge amount of time to make his clearance, and instead drove it aimlessly to two Tipperary forwards.  He also played a crazy hand pass across the face of the goal in the second half which very nearly ended in the net.

Kallum King was a little unlucky to be taken off at half time, as he is a strong physical presence at midfield which allows Ambrose to push forward. Peter Fitzpatrick took quite a while to get into the game as his replacement, and the change did not really work for us.

Conor Laverty had a fine match, but the Tipperary defence had started to work out his runs before he was subbed. It may be that we do not have room for him and Paul McComiskey in the same team, and McComiskey is fairly obviously not a wing half forward. It is  great to see competition for places, and the question is still whether or not Laverty can win the ball when the championship comes round. He could not manage this when he was tried previously, but he is a cuter player these days. He is also a very effective sub, while McComiskey is a quality finisher, so they should keep each other on their toes.

A couple of people have criticised Benny, and it is a concern that he has not scored in any of our three league games so far, but his strength was still a major asset for us when the going got tough last night. When he gets a goal, as he should have done in the first half, he will get into his stride again.

Onlooker

I was not able to travel to Newry yesterday, but I always like to read what opposition supporters say after a game.   I am a bit surprised at the comments that Tipp were the physically stronger team.  In our last match v. Kildare, we looked a lot lighter than a very strong looking Kildare team, yet Down had a big win over Kildare in the 1st Round.  I agree that Down would be a more formidable team with Dan Gordon at midfield and Daniel Hughes in the attack.  They are 2 very fine players, but you will always be short some players in the National League and Tipp were missing a couple last night too (Brian Fox and Kevin Mulryan).  I did not expect that Tipp would get a draw and it was a pleasant surprise to hear the result.  Tipp and Down have played 3 League matches in the last 12 months with honours even.  We have come a long way in 2 years when we were in Div. 4 and very much an outside bet for promotion from that Division.  It is a big step up to Div. 2, but we have a young team (4 Under 21's played last night) and we still have an outside chance in staying in Div. 2.  Down are now top of the table and IMO have every chance of another promotion this year.  Incidentally it was good to see Ambrose Rodgers back at mid field for Down after his injury problems.   I always admired his late father anytime I saw him playing for Down and it is nice to see the name still on the red and black teamsheet.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

I thought the boys were robbed on Saturday night, pure and simple.

Although McVeigh was'nt  great the defence was solid - Tipp had no real goal chances as the goal they got came about from Ambrose stopping a definate point and according to the Irish News video evidence suggests it never crossed the line, whilst most of thier scores came from some harsh looking frees.

Rafferty stood out again with no complaints with McArdle and McCartan. Garvey was quiet enough but then again so was his man with McKernan effective going forward. Colgan appears to be made for the number 6 jersey, again impressing - until he got injured after which he didnt seem quite as prominent.
Ambrose put in another good performance whist King was not as effective against what was a more mobile midfield than that of Meaths and Kildare. Although King may well prove to be up to this level he certainly needs to improve on his fitness. As for Fitzpatrick he was ineffective but will have better days given more time.
Maginn just had a bad night whilst McComiskey was also quiet. Marty Clarke though was involved in most good moves. He's obviously still trying to re adjust to Gaelic football but his presence is a massive boost. Just naming him on the teamsheet ensures that Benny and co will get more space and freedom. Its intersting to note that Benny has'nt been 'double marked' since Martys return.
As for the full forward line Benny was'nt at his best but he sends panic into backlines and is looking fitter than ever - he got well out in front of his man everytime. John Clarke is in great nick at the minute, again very strong in winning posession. As for Lavery, what he lacks in size he makes up in pace, gives a new dimension to the team and with the right possession will get scores and win frees - and intelligent with it.

It was interesting to see Liam Doyle along the sideline with the water bottles. Hopefully we'll see him on the bench before long although its hard to see where he along with Carr and Murphy would slot in with the defence playing so well and Colgan looking the part at CHB.

down desperado

I hope next year the leagues begin in the first week of march, the weather recently has been excellent for football. Even if the weather is not as good next year and some games are postponed at least you would have the whole summer to rearrange them. The way the fixtures are planned this year the play-offs could drag into late october or november again this year. They have a few games squeezed in on saturdays which can lead to conflict in a lot of clubs, instead of playing them on sundays for the first 4 or 5 weeks before the friday night games can commence.

goldenyears

how are the down teams doing in the ulster club league? any club friendly results to report?

this down site used to be a hive of info and it has completely died a death! >:(

T O Hare

Quote from: goldenyears on March 10, 2010, 05:59:09 PM
how are the down teams doing in the ulster club league? any club friendly results to report?

this down site used to be a hive of info and it has completely died a death! >:(
[/quote

I believe a new look Clonduff are unbeaten...
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

I'm gettin tortured here lads with boys lookin tickets for the stand on 20th March. Any word?Nothing official from Sean Og at the minute.
The Aristocrat Years

wobbller

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 11, 2010, 09:13:19 PM
I'm gettin tortured here lads with boys lookin tickets for the stand on 20th March. Any word?Nothing official from Sean Og at the minute.
There'll be plenty looking but they'll be standing with me and the others out in cold.

DownFanatic

Dundrum GFC 75th Anniversary DVD Preview

Down All Ireland 1960/61 Goalkeeper Eddie McKay and midfielder Jarlath Carey features as does Paddy Kielty and current Down player Paul McComiskey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qmTac-zh8

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 11, 2010, 10:49:55 PM
Dundrum GFC 75th Anniversary DVD Preview

Down All Ireland 1960/61 Goalkeeper Eddie McKay and midfielder Jarlath Carey features as does Paddy Kielty and current Down player Paul McComiskey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5qmTac-zh8

Hateful bunch of bustards that you are on the field of play, I can only congratulate you on the compilation of an excellent vid. I really enjoyed.
The tone was just right, nice and humble but still carrying a strong message of local pride.  The choice of strong characters was good and came accross well, but most importantly the quiet but indominatable spirit of the Ga was very eveident throughout.  The images and sound track were excellent.  I tip my cap to you on a job well done

Trevor Hill

D Alder; D McCartan, B McArdle, D Rafferty; K McKernan, J Colgan, C Garvey; A Rodgers, K King; D Hughes, M Clarke, S Kearney; P McComiskey, J Clarke, B Coulter.