Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

13aside

watched the McKenna cup final on TGCathair,well done to Donegal who kept plugging away despite a lot of wides,too many frees,some for the minimum of contact.Yellow cards produced for very little,hope this kind of authority is not carried to the championship.Shocking injury to Stephen O'Neill, i thought initially that a Donegal player was involved but the slomo showed that one of his own players (Hughes) legs made contact and it looked very nasty.News reports say that he could be out for three months,despite the fierce rivallry between teams at all levels in our sport no-one wishes such damage however arrived at-I wish him well. 

marsbarkid

Does anyone know the starting date for the EDRFL this year, and what teams will be in which sections? I know Aughlisnafin + Dromara are both entering teams this season so there may need to be a slight re-jigging of the sections?

dundrumite

Quote from: marsbarkid on January 31, 2010, 12:20:47 PM
Does anyone know the starting date for the EDRFL this year, and what teams will be in which sections? I know Aughlisnafin + Dromara are both entering teams this season so there may need to be a slight re-jigging of the sections?

East Down board meeting tomorrow night... As far as I know discussions around leagues will be then.

DownFanatic

Its been a long time since Dromara have entered the EDRFL. Fair play to them.

Last year the EDB split the League into two sections based on geography and id say they will probably do the same again this year.

I wouldnt mind seeing the return of the Shield competition for the teams that finish up in the bottom half of each section as it gives them something to aim for.

Its disappointing to see that Kilcoo III's havent taken up the opportunity to go the ACPRFL Division 2. Probably to do with the fact that they need half their 2nds players for Thirds games on Sunday evenings  ::)

DownFanatic

2010 Managers

Division 1

Mayobridge - Eamon McEnaney
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Clonduff - Paul Lambe
Burren - Frank Dawson
Longstone - Jody Gormley
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy?
An Riocht - Stephen Poucher
Liatroim - Jarlath Austin?
Rostrevor - John Rafferty

Division 2

Ballyholland - Shane Mulholland
Annaclone - Tom Potter
Tullylish - Keith Farrell
Shamrocks - ?
Clann na Banna - Tony Wilson
Saval - Declan Morgan
Downpatrick - Kyran Smyth
Ballymartin - Johnny McComiskey
Attical - Raymond Tumilty
Warrenpoint - Kevin Franklin/Glenn Elmore
Kilclief - John Kane
Loughinisland - Paul McShane

Division 3

Drumgath - Mickey Linden
Bosco - Paddy McEvoy?
Drumaness - Bill Geoghegan
Dundrum - Paul Shields
St Johns - Gerard McAnulty Snr/Donard King/Seamus Braniff
Glasdrumman - Benny Corrigan
Carryduff - Andy Moohan
Darragh Cross - Eamon Burns
Saul - Paul Evans
Glenn - John Kennedy/Tony Bagnall
Ardglass - Edward Magee, Brian Healy, Ryan Kelly
Bredagh - Kevin Blaney

Division 4

Mitchels - Harry Cooney/Nigel Allen
Teconnaught - Brendan Mason
St Michaels - Robert Wilson
Bright -  ?
Ballykinlar - Skin Hanna/DJ Morgan
Dromara - ?
Aughlisnafin - Philly McGrattan/Gerard McCartan
Aghaderg - ?
St Pauls - ?

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 31, 2010, 03:28:55 PM

Last year the EDB split the League into two sections based on geography and id say they will probably do the same again this year.

I wouldnt mind seeing the return of the Shield competition for the teams that finish up in the bottom half of each section as it gives them something to aim for.

Its disappointing to see that Kilcoo III's havent taken up the opportunity to go the ACPRFL Division 2. Probably to do with the fact that they need half their 2nds players for Thirds games on Sunday evenings  ::)

Kilcoo thirds where entered into premier reserve league but a vote off 26 thirds players decided it would be more beneficial to play in East Down as we would have greater chance off winning. Not that we need our seconds to beat 99 % off the teams in East Down. Very cheap dig about needing seconds for a sunday evening in a club that cleaned up in 2009.

down desperado

edward "tit" magee {micks da}, brian healy and ryan kelly are looking after ardglass this year.

dundrumite

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 31, 2010, 04:11:26 PM

Kilcoo thirds where entered into premier reserve league but a vote off 26 thirds players decided it would be more beneficial to play in East Down as we would have greater chance off winning. Not that we need our seconds to beat 99 % off the teams in East Down. Very cheap dig about needing seconds for a sunday evening in a club that cleaned up in 2009.

Would they not be better going on and trying to better themselves when there is a chance for a higher standard of football as opposed to winning the same competition as last year? Though I suppose what they do with themselves is their prerogative.
Very ambitious of St. Johns to be entering a seconds team in ACPRL and a thirds as well. Must have big numbers coming through.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dundrumite on January 31, 2010, 07:25:34 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 31, 2010, 04:11:26 PM

Would they not be better going on and trying to better themselves when there is a chance for a higher standard of football as opposed to winning the same competition as last year? Though I suppose what they do with themselves is their prerogative.
Very ambitious of St. Johns to be entering a seconds team in ACPRL and a thirds as well. Must have big numbers coming through.

If it was my choice id prefer ACPRL Div 2 where i believe the thirds could do rightly and bring younger minor players on up against better opposition. The club could field two teams no problem at same time but the players are happier trying to compete in East Down and at the end off the day thirds players are just out for a game off football on a Sunday evening. The ACPRL would require greater committment with regards Saturday nights and extra training which would be hard to get from thirds players.I believe Kilcoo could hold their own in this division but the committee went with the majority vote from the players and this is the reason they remain in East Down.

dundrumite

Fair point.
DD is your man Lennon still with the Ardglass management?

Mid Down Gael

Ulster under 21 championship Quarter final

Creggan 1-04 Burren 3-07

marsbarkid

Yeah i was hoping the Fin + Dromara would both be put into the same section so we could continue the great rivalry we have in the seniors into the reserves! Was thinking both teams may be put into the Castlewellan area section with Teconnaught + possibly Drumaness moving to the other section which would probably make sense geographically. Have to applaud St.Johns on entering a 3rds team, a great achievement for a club whose senior team were playing in Div 4 two years ago. Looking forward to renewing rivalries with them also! Would definitely agree with u about the Shield DF.

down desperado

Quote from: dundrumite on January 31, 2010, 07:42:51 PM
Fair point.
DD is your man Lennon still with the Ardglass management?
I was talking to Paul Lennon over christmas and i think he is involved with a monaghan team this year, he is married to a girl from there. A very good trainer by the way, Brian Healy i think is taking his role this year and is also very good  and played with the team 2 or 3 years ago when peter oshea was manager.
Division 3 is going to be very tough this year and i think Ardglass's good record at home will stand them in good stead but we are very poor away from home. I actually cannot remember winning a senior game in Dundrum ever, bit of a bogey ground for us.

dundrumite

You mustn't be that old DD, or maybe the opposite and the memory is going?  ;) Ardglass beat Dundrum in 2004 at our place. Between yourselves and ourselves being in 4 at different stages and with us being in 2 also think we have prob met about 5 times in the noughties with it standing 3-2 to to us, though I may b wrong here.

Forgot me Boots

do any of you have any experience of organising a fight night, looking a bit of information on it. Drop me a PM please if you do