Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OnTheLine

Can't believe the headline on the back of the Irish News today - "Don't believe the hype".. As far as I can tell the only people who've been hyping up Down's performances in the McKenna Cup have been the paper's journalists themselves. I don't think I've talked to anyone in the county who doesn't recognize that there's a lot of work ahead before we can talk about hype..

downredblack

McHugh was scathing about the Down defence , said McCartan and Co. had a lot of work to do , and that a lot of the players were not county standard and his metaphor to enhance his opinion was something about a fish supper . At least he has moved on from his handful of straw cracker .

johnneycool

Quote from: downredblack on January 28, 2010, 08:32:10 AM
McHugh was scathing about the Down defence , said McCartan and Co. had a lot of work to do , and that a lot of the players were not county standard and his metaphor to enhance his opinion was something about a fish supper . At least he has moved on from his handful of straw cracker .

Was it 'they couldn't tackle a fish supper on a saturday night'?

Famously used by John Crossey on regular occasions and once on radio Ulster if i recollect.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: OnTheLine on January 28, 2010, 08:02:44 AM
Can't believe the headline on the back of the Irish News today - "Don't believe the hype".. As far as I can tell the only people who've been hyping up Down's performances in the McKenna Cup have been the paper's journalists themselves. I don't think I've talked to anyone in the county who doesn't recognize that there's a lot of work ahead before we can talk about hype..

Absolute nonsense from the Irish News. Their journalists have little to do when they are creating hype for the McKenna Cup. Everyone in Down realises that we have a long way to go before we can think about winning anything of significance and even when we were winning there was never much hype. If you look at last nights line up you will see just how seriously wee James took the competition, he like every other manager used the McKenna Cup to get a look at the new faces in the squad. Downs season starts next Sunday in Newbridge, minus any hype.

thewobbler

I'd agree Tevor Hill. It's hard to see any of that defence apart from Garvey lining out against Donegal in May. Some of them will play over the Championship but not as starters.

Trevor Hill

Does anyone have the Down scorers from the first game against Queens? I like to keep a record of all games even though I missed 2 games with the flu, but seem to have mislaid the program. The Irish News containing the match report was probably used to light the fire some time last week. If anyone has access to the IN online it would be greatly appreciated.

EagleLord

Garvey could play in any position and do a job.

down6061689194

Well McKenna Cup now done and dusted, looking towards Kildare, which could define a season. Win and we confirm that we are fav's to get promoted an also confirm last 8 potential.

Loose and belief may drop, 2 points dropped, and Kildare I'd expect to gain a lot from it.

Strongest team?
Tough to say.

I'd go for

1. B McVeigh
2 M Cole
3 K McKernan/C Garvey
4 D Rafferty
5 T Hannah
6 C Garvey/J Colgan
7 D Hughes
8 D Gordon
9 P Fitzpatrick
10 M Clarke
11 C Maginn
12 A Rodgers
13 J Clarke
14 B Coulter
15 P McComiskey

Not so sure about 3/6. Colgan impressed me, McKernan and Garvey have done the job.
Ambrose could go to midfield, Hughes to 12, and play Garvey Hannah and Colgan at half back. Replacing Fitzpatrick who may not stick the pace after after good games so far.
Not many new boys, but defence is more likely to change than attck before Dongal, a decent game from Parr or another may get them a championship spot.

dundrumite

Quote from: johnneycool on January 28, 2010, 11:54:28 AM
Quote from: downredblack on January 28, 2010, 08:32:10 AM

Was it 'they couldn't tackle a fish supper on a saturday night'?

Famously used by John Crossey on regular occasions and once on radio Ulster if i recollect.

Also remember Joe Brolly two years ago describing the Down defence as being "like ducks in thunder." In the term used by some of the posters on here of late it drew an "lol" from me

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Trevor Hill on January 28, 2010, 01:44:22 PM
Does anyone have the Down scorers from the first game against Queens? I like to keep a record of all games even though I missed 2 games with the flu, but seem to have mislaid the program. The Irish News containing the match report was probably used to light the fire some time last week. If anyone has access to the IN online it would be greatly appreciated.

Martin Clarke 1-5
John Clarke 0-3
Benny Coulter 0-3
Paul McComiskey 0-3
Conor Garvey 0-1
Danny Hughes 0-1
James McGovern 0-1

Mid Down Gael

Mediocre display in Brewster Park last night. Down where good in first and last ten minutes but inbetween where poor. Benny McArdle and John Clarke where our best players overall with Stephen Kearney at full back, Hughes and Marty Clarke impressive coming off the bench. Sexton, Poland, Duffin and Cole where disapointing and the dury remains out on what these players have got to offer at county level.
Role on Kildare on Sunday week. Id like to see the following team start. 1. B McVeigh 2. C Garvey 3. K McKernan 4. D Rafferty 5. A Brannigan 6. J Colgan 7. B McArdle 8. D Gordon 9 A Rogers 10. A Carr 11. M Clarke 12. D Hughes 13. J Clarke/ R Murtagh 14. B Coulter 15. C Laverty/ P McComiskey. One off the latter two would be a great impact forward to bring on in last 20 minutes.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 28, 2010, 06:31:19 PM
Mediocre display in Brewster Park last night. Down where good in first and last ten minutes but inbetween where poor. Benny McArdle and John Clarke where our best players overall with Stephen Kearney at full back, Hughes and Marty Clarke impressive coming off the bench. Sexton, Poland, Duffin and Cole where disapointing and the dury remains out on what these players have got to offer at county level.
Role on Kildare on Sunday week. Id like to see the following team start. 1. B McVeigh 2. C Garvey 3. K McKernan 4. D Rafferty 5. A Brannigan 6. J Colgan 7. B McArdle 8. D Gordon 9 A Rogers 10. A Carr 11. M Clarke 12. D Hughes 13. J Clarke/ R Murtagh 14. B Coulter 15. C Laverty/ P McComiskey. One off the latter two would be a great impact forward to bring on in last 20 minutes.

Lad, McComiskey would be in there instead of Lavery every time.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on January 28, 2010, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: Mid Down Gael on January 28, 2010, 06:31:19 PM

Lad, McComiskey would be in there instead of Lavery every time.

I guess its a matter off opinion and id have McComiskey on first 15 every time but as its been shown in past he is a wonderful impact sub to come on. Laverty on the other hand would bring trickery and invention late in a game with defences tired. For Kildare game McComiskey will start im sure and deservedly so and on recent displays Laverty will be close especially with so many of the forwards underperforming last night against a Tir Conall defence with Cassidy and Neil McGee the only regulars in action.

Pangurban

If we cant find a couple of decent defenders or at least a good defensive coach, it will be another year of close but no Cigar, some of the defending against Derry and Donegal was absolutely woeful, and showed less awareness than you expect to find in an U16 squad. Having said that we are certainly playing a more adventerous and attractive brand of football up front, and their appears to be a higher level of committment and motivation

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Pangurban on January 28, 2010, 08:49:40 PM
If we cant find a couple of decent defenders or at least a good defensive coach, it will be another year of close but no Cigar, some of the defending against Derry and Donegal was absolutely woeful, and showed less awareness than you expect to find in an U16 squad. Having said that we are certainly playing a more adventerous and attractive brand of football up front, and their appears to be a higher level of committment and motivation

Couldnt agree more. Defence remains a big worry and when you see the management trying to convert Stephen Kearney into a full back it highlights the problems here. In my view Colgan and McArdle have gave the management more options in the half back line but our last line off defence remains a major concern. Last night Cole was roasted by a fringe player while Garvey struggled with McFaddan.