Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Ball

What do people think of the new rules?
Personally I don't like them. The mark between the 50's will slow the game down, the penalty spot moving to just 11 metres out will make it far too easy to score- I'd rather the goals were made as wide as soccer goals to lead to more scores.
i think the square ball rule will lead to several goals that have more to do with luck than skill and will lead to many keepers getting flattened due to the fact that they will have a 1-2 yard run up for a high ball while a full-forward can come charging in from 10-12 yards out at full pace to leap for a ball.
Drive yer boot in her!!

off the laces

Quote from: Long Ball on December 11, 2009, 08:28:27 AM
Personally I don't like them. The mark between the 50's will slow the game down, the penalty spot moving to just 11 metres out will make it far too easy to score- I'd rather the goals were made as wide as soccer goals to lead to more scores.
i think the square ball rule will lead to several goals that have more to do with luck than skill and will lead to many keepers getting flattened due to the fact that they will have a 1-2 yard run up for a high ball while a full-forward can come charging in from 10-12 yards out at full pace to leap for a ball.
Keepers get to much protection anyway it was turning into a soocer type scenairo
Keeps 'er' straight

When We Win

Quote from: off the laces on December 11, 2009, 08:54:14 AM
Keepers get to much protection anyway it was turning into a soocer type scenairo

This has came too late. There were some keepers that deserved flattened when i was playing. But in seriousness, the comment about keepers getting flattened because forwards can come charging in. Is that not the rule at the minute??? you cant be in the box and have to move into it! Personally i dont see how it makes much difference and probably helps the keeper more because all he has to do is get close to a big sloth forward who is told to stand in the corner and get the balls that are lobbed in. If he gets touched he wins a free just as in the old rules, cant touch the keeper.

off the laces

true cant touch him when he is in the air, but what i hate and have seen it more than a not a right few times is a keeper getting the ball and running out towards an opposition player and getting a free, because the forward stood his ground and the keeper bounced off him.
Keeps 'er' straight

Fender

If these rules where to be brought into our own county leagues, our refs will be slaughtered!!

Boat Race In The Crowd

Great win for Bredagh U20's away to Downpatrick this afternoon. Good match with plenty of impressive play from both teams. Bredagh 3 points down with 4 minutes left, hit 1-02 to win by 2.

Square Ball

Quote from: Boat Race In The Crowd on December 13, 2009, 05:20:43 PM
Great win for Bredagh U20's away to Downpatrick this afternoon. Good match with plenty of impressive play from both teams. Bredagh 3 points down with 4 minutes left, hit 1-02 to win by 2.

Great win indeed. not sure were that leaves the league, by my reckoning its:

DPK  8 points from 5 games
Bredagh 6 from 4
Bryansford 5 from 4
Cduff 5 from 4
St Marys 0 from 5

not sure about Cwellan, actually not sure abot a few of them so feel free to let me know
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Boat Race In The Crowd

BD, the story is:
DPK 8 from 5
Bford 7 from 5
Bredagh 6 from 4
Cwellan are out of it
Bredagh v Cwellan next Sunday, Bredagh need to win to be sure of ply-off place

norabeag

If the Bredagh / C Wellan match is not until next week then it looks like after Christmas for ED Final and then well into New Year for AllCounty Finals

Square Ball

right, whats the craoc with who plays who? I think in South Down Burren are the A champions and Mayobridge are the B, so is it the team that finishes top in ED that will play Burren and the team in second play Mayobridge. So say Bredagh beat C'wellen and they and DPK finish level on points, is it points difference to determine the winner?

norabeag

Quote from: Square Ball on December 13, 2009, 08:11:25 PM
right, whats the craoc with who plays who? I think in South Down Burren are the A champions and Mayobridge are the B, so is it the team that finishes top in ED that will play Burren and the team in second play Mayobridge. So say Bredagh beat C'wellen and they and DPK finish level on points, is it points difference to determine the winner?
I have heard though have not seen it written anywhere that top two play off on ED irrespective of points difference

johnneycool

Ger monan new down hurling manager according to some very good sources.

shambo

How will that go down with the other clubs?

Boat Race In The Crowd

The official rule is that the top two play-off....winner is 'A' champion and loser is 'B' champion.
It will get a bit more complicated if Bredagh draw with Cwellan as they will be level on points with Bford in 2nd place. Not sure what happens then, score difference? play-off for 2nd? dunno...will get it confirmed by the ED secretary

Square Ball

Quote from: Boat Race In The Crowd on December 13, 2009, 09:25:25 PM
The official rule is that the top two play-off....winner is 'A' champion and loser is 'B' champion.
It will get a bit more complicated if Bredagh draw with Cwellan as they will be level on points with Bford in 2nd place. Not sure what happens then, score difference? play-off for 2nd? dunno...will get it confirmed by the ED secretary

cheers.