Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 08, 2009, 04:55:43 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 08, 2009, 10:19:15 AM
I see Seán Óg is having a good rant about message boards in the Irish News today.

He'd obviously much rather people went around sticking daggers in each others backs in a more discreet manner.

Jerry Quinn went on a similar rant at convention a few years ago before he got ousted. I've defended the county board continually on this forum, but their fear of GAA people talking GAA has crossed paranoia. There are more than a few clubs in this county quite reliant on this and other public message boards to find out the who, what, where and when of Down GAA. Yes there's bullsh1t and slander among the good stuff, but it's a price worth paying.

GAA Board is usually first for fixtures, results and league tables. The amount of people I know that use this site as a resource compared to our county website is frightening.
I completely agree. When I want to know a result of a game or venue/time of s gsme, this is where i go to. Down Webiste doesnt cut it, in tht regard. Anyone that says the GAAboard doesnt surve a useful purpose is blind.

Trevor Hill

I think it would be fair to say that the majority of posters here know who thewobbler is. He has never tried to hide his identity and you wouldn't need to be a genius to work out who he is anyway. His comments are usually spot on and there are very few in the county who would have the knowledge and understanding of Down football that he has.
The same cannot be said of Sean og. This isn't intended to be an attack on Sean as his job can be a thankless one at times, even if it is well paid. But Sean has to stop worrying about other peoples opinions and get on with his job. He talks about the Down management fiasco, but surely he is to blame, not only as county secretary, but he was also part of the selection committee. Was it not his job to inform Wee James and Pete as to who had got the job?
Maybe we should give Sean's job to someone like thewobbler, he may remember to honour all the teams in Down who actually won something this year, something Sean forgot to do. And with the new football season almost on us, can we expect to see Sean on the field with the team or in the stand where he belongs? He knows as much about football as I know about nuclear physics, yet he is on the field for most pre match warm ups.
Put your own house in order Sean before you start laying into others. The vast majority of Down posters here, use this board to get info on Down GAA and to post up what they know, be that results, team news or the latest managerial merry-go-round. Maybe if we had a county website that was any use we wouldn't need this forum.

Trevor Hill

BRINGING Burren back to its heyday, that is a mission that newly appointed manager Frank Dawson is aiming to achieve.

Having spent the past four years with Longstone, he has decided to take over the reigns from Damien Barton, who spent a fruitless two years with the south Down club.

Dawson wants Burren to be at the top of Down football and he insists he is the man to take them there.

"Burren have to get back to the top of the championship pile," said Dawson.

"In a club like Burren our realistic target is winning the County Championship, because while you can talk about winning Ulster and All-Irelands but if you don't win your County it doesn't matter and that is what we want to do."

The St Ronan's Primary School Principle added: "Burren have a big tradition of winning Ulster titles and All-Irelands and I suppose they have been jealous looking at their neighbours Mayobridge, with the success they have had."

Burren have failed to win the championship in the past decade and for Dawson that is simply not good enough.

However, he is not relying on tradition to guide his men to success, but for Dawson the talent is already at the club, it is just about getting the best from his play-ers.

He is puzzled as to why Burren have failed to make the last few county finals and it is an issue he is ready to tackle head-on.

"What I have to do is find out if Burren have been making the best use of what is at the club. But that is something you don't know until you meet the players," said Dawson.

"At U21 level they have won the last four Down or South Down titles so the talent is definitely coming through so the talent is there.

"And over the past number of years Burren have been in the last number of semi-finals so we want to make the step up and reach the final.

"I need to look at why Burren have not made many finals," Dawson added.

The former Clonduff manager said: "Burren are a club that will never give short of 100 percent and will always compete to the end and they have quite a number of talented players.

If you look at the Down Dr McKenna Cup squad, Burren have the highest representation and people may argue it is bias from James McCartan. But I don't buy into that and when you look at the players he has selected it is hard to disagree with any of them.

Dan McCartan, Gerard McCartan, Declan Rooney, Kieran McGovern, James McGovern and Kevin McKernan are Burren players selected onto James McCartan's initial Down squad and Dawson expects these men to carry Burren to success.

The new manager is yet to name his assistant although he has confirmed it will be a Burren man.

Dawson said: "When I go to any club I never bring a man with me as I always look internally and get people from inside the club.

That way we can gleam experience off each other and that can benefit the club in the long term as I wont be there forever."

He expects to be with the Burren over the next two to three seasons and that is the time frame he has in mind to bring success to the club.

Out in Front

Mid Down Gael will you check your PM

johnneycool

From Sean O'g's report

The Dún Theas experiment will require monitoring in 2010 and 2011, and it must not be
governed by financial consideration alone but rather by hurling considerations. Are
we developing players to take their places on One county team? The answer will
determine if it is working or not.

I think Sean O'g has hit the nail on the head with what the Down junior team is all about. It should be used to bring young hurlers on to a standard from which they can improve enough to take their place with the full senior team.
The last few years have seen players on the team well into their thirties and touching their forties which is a short term agenda.
Get the young lads on there and even if they do lose the odd game, they'll certainly learn and improve for it.

dundrumite

Either the RGU PRO is slightly delusional, or they have some Under 20s team. Their club notes claim that they won't be happy if they don't have at least 12 representatives on the County Under 21 team  :o. BIG statement.
Rostrevor had a big number with 7 in 2005, Can anyone remember a higher representation on a county squad?

thewobbler

It might be my mind playing tricks but I'd be sure Clonduff had in region of 10 county minors in 1995.

By the way, if Hoops had even 8 county standard under-21s they would have walked Division II this year.

Brick Tamlin

if any club had that talent at their disposal they would walk the championship never mind the league.

dundrumite

Think its a case of a PRO and his green and white tinted contact lens. Be interesting to see how many actually get on the panel.

angermanagement

Quote from: thewobbler on December 09, 2009, 01:09:17 PM
It might be my mind playing tricks but I'd be sure Clonduff had in region of 10 county minors in 1995.

By the way, if Hoops had even 8 county standard under-21s they would have walked Division II this year.

Don't think Clonduff had 10, as far as I can remember it was 6 or 7.

county colours

Quote from: fairplay on December 09, 2009, 02:52:37 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on December 09, 2009, 01:38:05 PM
Think its a case of a PRO and his green and white tinted contact lens. Be interesting to see how many actually get on the panel.

RGU Notes
08 December 2009

The under 20 team had a busy but fruitful weekend. On Friday night they paid host to St Marys under lights. It was an atrocious night with a high wind and incessant rain throughout the game The teams were evenly enough matched in the first half with the Hoops going in two points in front thanks to a cracking goal from Boyler in the 14th minute. The home side upped the tempo in the second half adding another two goals and 4 points to their tally, Nathein Curran and Jarlaith Brannigan being the main scorers. Such was the tenacity and determination of the RGU defence that it took St Marys 28 minutes to register their one and only point in the second half. Final score 3-10 to 1-4.
Less than 40 hours later the squad was back for another battle on Sunday morning against Carryduff. The Hoops were never tested but maybe that is the way it appeared with the defence even more solid than they were on Friday and the sharp shooting forwards on top form. Final score 1-10 to 0-3. That leaves the RGU side undefeated with one game to go against Bredagh to decide who plays off to face the South Down champions. This young enthusiastic squad will be a force to reckon with no matter the opposition. The new county u 21 managers were at the game and were very impressed with the quality of our players and were amazed at the age of some of them especially Deccie Turley. Rumour has it Marty Brady said he, Oaksey and Richard would be disappointed if at least 12 of the squad didn't make it onto the County panel.

Marty Brady may well regret that statement. ;D ;D

The only explanation I can see here is that it is a typo and it should read 1/2 meaning 1 or 2, not f**kin 12!!!

Hospitalpass

Anyone heard that Annaclone seem to be doing well in the transfer market this season again by once again plundering their local rivals Aghederg of their 2 best players. Funny this one as I heard Ruairi Simpson had a transfer form into Clann Na Banna a few weeks ago as he is living in Banbridge now, and also Kevin Anderson transferred to Aghaderg from some other side in Armagh in order to play for and win an AI minor medal. I know the 2 players harber county ambitions but lads should show a bit of commitment to their club

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: county colours on December 09, 2009, 04:38:06 PM

RGU Notes
08 December 2009

The under 20 team had a busy but fruitful weekend. On Friday night they paid host to St Marys under lights. It was an atrocious night with a high wind and incessant rain throughout the game The teams were evenly enough matched in the first half with the Hoops going in two points in front thanks to a cracking goal from Boyler in the 14th minute. The home side upped the tempo in the second half adding another two goals and 4 points to their tally, Nathein Curran and Jarlaith Brannigan being the main scorers. Such was the tenacity and determination of the RGU defence that it took St Marys 28 minutes to register their one and only point in the second half. Final score 3-10 to 1-4.
Less than 40 hours later the squad was back for another battle on Sunday morning against Carryduff. The Hoops were never tested but maybe that is the way it appeared with the defence even more solid than they were on Friday and the sharp shooting forwards on top form. Final score 1-10 to 0-3. That leaves the RGU side undefeated with one game to go against Bredagh to decide who plays off to face the South Down champions. This young enthusiastic squad will be a force to reckon with no matter the opposition. The new county u 21 managers were at the game and were very impressed with the quality of our players and were amazed at the age of some of them especially Deccie Turley. Rumour has it Marty Brady said he, Oaksey and Richard would be disappointed if at least 12 of the squad didn't make it onto the County panel.

The only explanation I can see here is that it is a typo and it should read 1/2 meaning 1 or 2, not f**kin 12!!!

Damian Turley is only Downpatrick player who deserves his place on panel if the top 30 under 21s in the county are being selected. They have no one else in the top 30.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on December 09, 2009, 06:14:45 PM
Quote from: county colours on December 09, 2009, 04:38:06 PM

RGU Notes
08 December 2009

Damian Turley is only Downpatrick player who deserves his place on panel if the top 30 under 21s in the county are being selected. They have no one else in the top 30.
Boys Hoops would not be my fav club but anyone who knows the RGU PRO would know he is taking the piss and this is a wind ,up aimed at the mentors mentioned.
But in fairness Damien Turley, good player and all that he is and probably desrving of squad place would not be in the top 3 Hoops players at this level

dundrumite

Quote from: Hospitalpass on December 09, 2009, 05:24:28 PM
Anyone heard that Annaclone seem to be doing well in the transfer market this season again by once again plundering their local rivals Aghederg of their 2 best players. Funny this one as I heard Ruairi Simpson had a transfer form into Clann Na Banna a few weeks ago as he is living in Banbridge now, and also Kevin Anderson transferred to Aghaderg from some other side in Armagh in order to play for and win an AI minor medal. I know the 2 players harber county ambitions but lads should show a bit of commitment to their club

Point is Based on hearsay. Is your main reason signing up to this site to have a go at the two lads?