Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eartotheground

True Blue

My starting point about John Boyle was that he is, no matter how negative you feel about him, he is in the top 44 players in the county. some that were named he is and has proven to be better than as i highlighted. i didnt expect leo to massacre the man and others to agree, (ramber and ear), that was not the point of my post and i apologise to john if he does read this. there are others who i feel are better than the players named but ill not name them in fear some gobsh**es  have a personal problem with them.
dont get me wrong i hope wee james and the boys do well and bring down back to some sort of glory but johns exclusion will be are benefit as we bid to get back to div 1 but as a point man i would rather see him getting a crack of representing our county.

someone posted that the only man from the point worthy of a place was ryan mallon. i will agree with you in a couple of years. not quite ready yet but having watched him over the last 3/4 years it will not be long.
The minute you start talking about what you're going to do if you lose, you have lost.

guevara

Well said True Blue!
I have no problem with opinions....after all we all have our own ideas on this & if we were given a crack at the County job we would pick the fairest possible team & win Sam  ;D

But seriously Leo seems to have taken a personal swipe at the fellla for no apparent reason....not a gaelic footballer??? Wise up!!
Only time will tell if Wee James was right but I gaurantee John will be on it again....maybe not this year but he will wear the jersey again.
On Ryan Mallon.....a superb athlete who has all the attributes to be a great talent but Ryans application at times would be questionable! I believe if he knuckled down & give it 100% he would be on the squad for years to come!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

backagainstthewall

cant believe all the talk about john boyle, obviously the dogs on the street know john is easily a county player ahead of the like of some members on the current panel. I hate the selection policy within the county, without going into character assassination too much (which is completely uncalled for in an amatuer sport), it really angers me that 3 intelligent men have went out of their way to appease the main movers 'n' shakers in down football with the panel they have put forward for the mckenna cup! The past decade in our own county senior football reeks of mediocrity and that is just not an outcome any of us are satisfied with especially with the talent our county boosts! Blame can only be put on managers so much but when it comes down to it, its the players that needed fingers pointed at, the current down panel is just not a reflection of our presigious past and also our current, in terms of club, sterling present ie Kilcoo are a credit to any sport organistaion but thankfully they are part of ours, are their players on the panel there by merit?. The present panel is just not a reflection of what is great and good about down football and because of this i find it hard to support them...and wont be either!

I dont live in down but i am a down man and the impending years panel, from what i see,  will NOT go the extra mile that lives amongst the majority of down men and our will to essentially beat the man we are marking! There is absolutely no bite in the bark of down football any more at senior county level, last years first round championship match against fermanagh is testament to this statement. Where is the hunger? where is the desire to win? You have no idea how much i'd love to be proved wrong on the above argument, i have my knife and fork ready to eat my rant!!!

2010 will be a mediorce year for down seniors- mark my words

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

charlieTully

Quote from: backagainstthewall on December 05, 2009, 11:28:11 AM
cant believe all the talk about john boyle, obviously the dogs on the street know john is easily a county player ahead of the like of some members on the current panel. I hate the selection policy within the county, without going into character assassination too much (which is completely uncalled for in an amatuer sport), it really angers me that 3 intelligent men have went out of their way to appease the main movers 'n' shakers in down football with the panel they have put forward for the mckenna cup! The past decade in our own county senior football reeks of mediocrity and that is just not an outcome any of us are satisfied with especially with the talent our county boosts! Blame can only be put on managers so much but when it comes down to it, its the players that needed fingers pointed at, the current down panel is just not a reflection of our presigious past and also our current, in terms of club, sterling present ie Kilcoo are a credit to any sport organistaion but thankfully they are part of ours, are their players on the panel there by merit?. The present panel is just not a reflection of what is great and good about down football and because of this i find it hard to support them...and wont be either!

I dont live in down but i am a down man and the impending years panel, from what i see,  will NOT go the extra mile that lives amongst the majority of down men and our will to essentially beat the man we are marking! There is absolutely no bite in the bark of down football any more at senior county level, last years first round championship match against fermanagh is testament to this statement. Where is the hunger? where is the desire to win? You have no idea how much i'd love to be proved wrong on the above argument, i have my knife and fork ready to eat my rant!!!

I would disagree with some of the players selected but your post is very harsh, at least give them a chance before you totally write them off.

dundrumite

well said above CT.

I see Kilcoo beat the Donegal minor champions after extra time today. Well done

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on December 05, 2009, 05:23:44 PM
well said above CT.

I see Kilcoo beat the Donegal minor champions after extra time today. Well done

Kilcoo have become your second team this weather Dundrumite. I hope your not thinking of transferring your allegiances to the mighty Magpies  :-*

Minus15

Could all happen DF. Word on the street is that dundrumite has a vested interest in Kilcoo of late!

Leo

Quote from: guevara on December 05, 2009, 11:22:34 AM
Well said True Blue!
I have no problem with opinions....after all we all have our own ideas on this & if we were given a crack at the County job we would pick the fairest possible team & win Sam  ;D

Good, I am pleased that my opinion is allowed even if I don't expect everybody to agree.

But seriously Leo seems to have taken a personal swipe at the fellla for no apparent reason

NOTHING in any post of mine could be called a personal swipe. If you can't tell the differenec between an objective assessment of football ability and personal attack so be it

...not a gaelic footballer??? Wise up!!

I'm a bit long in the tooth for wising up now but I have enough experience to know a wee bit about football. Maybe not a lot, but then I am still entitiled to my opinion however poorly formed.

Only time will tell if Wee James was right but I gaurantee John will be on it again....maybe not this year but he will wear the jersey again.

We will see.

On Ryan Mallon.....a superb athlete who has all the attributes to be a great talent but Ryans application at times would be questionable! I believe if he knuckled down & give it 100% he would be on the squad for years to come!
Fierce tame altogether

Joe Umbrella (hey)

I think some people on here are missing the point in relation to the
John Boyle argument. The simple fact is that whether he is on the panel or not will not make a difference to the turn around in our county teams fortunes. IMO John is certainly at county standard - of which there are at probably 50 or so in the county , he isn'nt however of exceptional standard. By exceptional I mean:

Benny Coulter, Dan Gordan, Liam Doyle, Paul MCcomisky, Martin Clarke

I may be a bit ahead of myself in including Clarke but these guys would be good enough for any county team and our own county team should be built around them - using a dedicated and settled squad of county standard players who play to a gameplan and a well drilled system guided by  the management.

In the last number of years the defence has taken dogs abuse for being simply awful. But the guys selected as defenders are not bad footballers nor are they necesarily bad defenders - they just never seem to have any sort of system in place.
how many times in the last number of years did we see previous managements put an extra man or two into the backline ala Kerry or Tyrone to help cover - never.

Apparently we don't have a full back, but niether do Kerry, it was'nt a problem to them this year. Are the likes of Monk Cole, Garvey, Murphy, Howard or Dan McCartan bad defenders? - definatley not. Its interesting to see that wee James has a picked similar squad to that of the previous managements but I hpe that there will be more of a cuteness about the new management and the old theory of the 'Down Style of play' may not be pursued to the same extent as previous failed managements.

A ball has'nt even been kicked yet FFS and some people are all doom and gloom. I believe the future looks bright partially because I'm a genuine fan and mostly because we have lots of decent and exceptional footballers. Whether or not John Boyle is included is irrelevant as we are lucky to have many lads at present who can play at his high standard!

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: backagainstthewall on December 05, 2009, 11:28:11 AM

Moderator who let the Linfield fan in?

backagainstthewall

sorry, it was a bit harsh. It is a forum based on peoples opinions and i was merely airing mine and as i said i'd loved to be proven wrong. Positiives about down at the moment would be we have 3 great guys at the helm and some superb players in the panel, is that enough ingredients for success?

Square Ball

any other u20 scores? Bredagh beat St Marys 2-8 to 1-6
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

dodgy umpire

downpatrick comfortably beat carryduff
The Boys in Red and Black are back