Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubh driocht

Congratulations to Kilcoo.Their hunger is unmatched and they have got a great return from such a small parish.Always hated playing against them and their teams at all levels only want to win, whatever the competition.
On a separate note, if Jerome Johnstone has joined James he will bring a lot but I don't understand where he will fit in with Mc Iver and Tally. Last year I wanted him as minor manager and still think a year or two at that level would prepare him for greater things.

Pangurban

Thought the most impressive player on show in the SFC was the Kilcoo centre full back, and even he would not be up too Co.standard. There is a bad style of football which has taken hold in Down, which mitigates against the development of positive skills. There is a negativity and petty nastiness in the mindset of players and supporters that is turning young people off the game. Average scores that would have been taken for granted a few short years ago are now hailed as sublime scoring feats. We have taken the fun out of it along with the skill. Actually i am wrong about the Kilcoo CB, with the proper training he could be the answer to our problem position, he is certainly worth a trial. Moan over...its just hard not to be despondent about current standards both within county and wider afield

wobbller

Quote from: Pangurban on October 05, 2009, 09:17:05 PM
Thought the most impressive player on show in the SFC was the Kilcoo centre full back, and even he would not be up too Co.standard. There is a bad style of football which has taken hold in Down, which mitigates against the development of positive skills. There is a negativity and petty nastiness in the mindset of players and supporters that is turning young people off the game. Average scores that would have been taken for granted a few short years ago are now hailed as sublime scoring feats. We have taken the fun out of it along with the skill. Actually i am wrong about the Kilcoo CB, with the proper training he could be the answer to our problem position, he is certainly worth a trial. Moan over...its just hard not to be despondent about current standards both within county and wider afield
Moan over?
Looking back on all your posts--it's all moan.Your postings are always negative.You do seem generally to know what you're talking about
but try and be a bit more positive.
Lecture over.

Pangurban

Fair point Wobbler, i used to be very optimistic and positive, before Football became Handball, or maybe its just an age thing. Then again if you dont see the faults you cant fix them. But i will take your advice on board and also acknowledge the many good aspects of our association in Down, unfortunately most of these occur off the playing field, and dont seem to engender the interest they deserve on this forum

THE DADGA

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 05, 2009, 02:59:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on October 05, 2009, 02:28:04 PM
Our lads recorded a handy enough win against the ports in the Joe McCrickard on saturday. 4-14 to 0-12.

Any other results from this high profile competition?

Ballycran won easy in Ballela. 4-18 to 1-5. Liatroim beat Bredagh last week by 4-5 points.
i see liatrom disposed of castleblaney handy enough in the ulster champ; even though there was only three points in it 1-10 of 1-13 came from CB'S free taker. Think all liatrom's forwards got on the score sheet. Should be interesting to see how they do against st gall's on sunday.

When We Win

Bringing up old news here but for all the doubters that had a negative oponion about Marty Clarkes contribution to the round ball when he returned, is 2-04 in one game enough to calm the storm. He is a started for Down no matter what. Its not the first time he has came back and produced the goods either which proves that after a couple of years you dont lose the ability to play with the O'Neills.

Long Ball

Marty Clarke proves- class is permanent!
Drive yer boot in her!!

goldenyears

am i right in saying that carryduff are now auto relegated from div2? they are 2 points behind shamrocks and even if they win last game + rocks lose their last 2, they still wont be able to make up the score difference - can anyone confirm this??

also is it 3 teams go down ie 2nd, 3rd, and 4th bottom play off with 2 of them joining the bottom club to go down??

thewobbler

Head to heads are used before scoring difference GY. As far as I know Shams beat the Duff both home and away, so Carryduff are down.

When We Win

Think it is second bottom plays third bottom. Loser is down and the winner plays forth bottom. The loser in this case is down. This way rather than a mini league. I think its wrong that three should go down. I would think the teams currently in div 2 are much stronger that those coming up. There will be big battles down at the bottom of div 2 over the next few weeks.

John Martin

Quote from: When We Win on October 06, 2009, 05:40:37 PM
Think it is second bottom plays third bottom. Loser is down and the winner plays forth bottom. The loser in this case is down. This way rather than a mini league. I think its wrong that three should go down. I would think the teams currently in div 2 are much stronger that those coming up. There will be big battles down at the bottom of div 2 over the next few weeks.

You're probably right about the teams going down from division 2 being stronger but there is only one team getting promoted from div 3, so that they can decrease the size of divisions to ten teams. This may lead to some hammerings next year when the team up from div 3 plays the teams down from div 1 but it should hopefully even itself out within a few years time.

Tomorrow is another day

The outcome of tonights game in Div 2 - Kilclief v Annaclone in Tullylish - will have a big impact on who will be in the promotion play offs and the relegation playoffs

stpauls

Quote from: When We Win on October 06, 2009, 05:40:37 PM

the format is that the 3 teams in 2nd, 3rd and 4th bottom are in a round robin format. there is a draw to see who plays in the first match, with the loser playing the 3rd team in the next game, with a final game involving the 2 teams that have not played. a team will need to win both of their games to stay up.

No1

Kilclief beat Annaclone 1-13 to 0-9 in Tullylish tonight.

Much needed victory for us.

Square Ball

What way does that leave Div 2? are Carryduff automatically down?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid