Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

I don't think Kilcoo are bothered with 'the standard of Down football as a whole', they are county champions.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: wobbller on October 05, 2009, 12:55:49 PM
Indeed well done on all fronts.Senior,Minor and U-16. I'll be watching to see what happens as regards
call-ups for the Senior County squad.

And the ladies intermediate  :P

wobbller

Quote from: Upperbann on October 05, 2009, 01:26:20 PM
Wobbller, on yesterdays performance i don't see anyone increasing thier chances of any senior county appearance in the near future and thats from both sides, although i'm sure Kilcoo won't give a toss about that at the minute.  As for C Laverty i'm still not convinved - yes he did win ball and there will be few in 'Down' that will cope with him (but other inter County defenders will not be that naive) also he was completely isolated up front - it is very easy to win ball when you have 40 yds of space in either direction infront of you for most of the game - i don't believe he scored from play! but with Jerome now involved there will probably be a few Kilcoo lads called up.

Is Jerome Johnson now part of the set-up?

western exile

Wobbller, on yesterdays performance i don't see anyone increasing thier chances of any senior county appearance in the near future and thats from both sides, although i'm sure Kilcoo won't give a toss about that at the minute.  As for C Laverty i'm still not convinved - yes he did win ball and there will be few in 'Down' that will cope with him (but other inter County defenders will not be that naive) also he was completely isolated up front - it is very easy to win ball when you have 40 yds of space in either direction infront of you for most of the game - i don't believe he scored from play! but with Jerome now involved there will probably be a few Kilcoo lads called up.
He scored probably the best point of the day in the second half from a very difficult angle from near the corner!

full back

Quote from: wobbller on October 05, 2009, 02:08:34 PM

Is Jerome Johnson now part of the set-up?

Is that the current Ballymacnab manager?
If so, he is leaving them to help in the Down set-up

johnneycool

Our lads recorded a handy enough win against the ports in the Joe McCrickard on saturday. 4-14 to 0-12.

Any other results from this high profile competition?

DownFanatic

Congratulations to Kilcoo. Their achievements this year have been unreal.

McCorry was very modest after the game and said that all the groundwork for this win had been done years before hand. There's a lot of truth in that and I think that those pioneers of the mid 90's can look back with immense pride in what they created.

On another note, Ive never seen so much support for a club in Down from neutrals as I seen over the weekend regarding Kilcoo. From Mournemen to local rivals, everyone seemed to be rooting for them and Id say they will have a few extra supporters in tow come Ulster Championship time.

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 05, 2009, 02:28:04 PM
Our lads recorded a handy enough win against the ports in the Joe McCrickard on saturday. 4-14 to 0-12.

Ballycran won easy in Ballela. 4-18 to 1-5. Liatroim beat Bredagh last week by 4-5 points.

maldini

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 05, 2009, 02:42:06 PM

McCorry was very modest after the game and said that all the groundwork for this win had been done years before hand. There's a lot of truth in that and I think that those pioneers of the mid 90's can look back with immense pride in what they created.

On another note, Ive never seen so much support for a club in Down from neutrals as I seen over the weekend regarding Kilcoo. From Mournemen to local rivals, everyone seemed to be rooting for them and Id say they will have a few extra supporters in tow come Ulster Championship time.

that isnt like you down fanatic taking a dig at the 'island at any opportunity  ;)

DownFanatic

Quote from: maldini on October 05, 2009, 03:01:34 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on October 05, 2009, 02:42:06 PM

that isnt like you down fanatic taking a dig at the 'island at any opportunity  ;)

No dig there at all. I wouldn't berate a team when they're down. Loughinisland have done extremely well to reach two SFC Finals in a row and its something that us lesser clubs could only dream of. Its merely an observation.

Some shite talked on Saturday night  :P

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on October 05, 2009, 02:59:10 PM

Ballycran won easy in Ballela. 4-18 to 1-5. Liatroim beat Bredagh last week by 4-5 points.

Are Kilclief and Newry still in the mix?

Fíor Gael

Congratulation to Kilcoo, fantastic achievement.
Thought the game was poor enough, not helped by an over fussy referee. It could have been a great game if he had let them go at hell for leather, instead of the stop start spectacle that we were treated to.
On yesterday's performance I would't rate Aidan Brannigan as a good club player never mind a county player, that said, it might just have been nerves as quite a number of players played within themselves yesterday.

Lecale2

Quote from: johnneycool on October 05, 2009, 03:19:15 PM

Are Kilclief and Newry still in the mix?

Yeah but I don't know when they are playing. Newry don't appear kean to travel to Kilclief! I wonder why?  ::)

Maiden1

So Down have few defenders that could cope with his pace but that doesn't mean he should be in the down panel?  There is plenty of defenders in other counties who wouldn't fancy marking him either.  I don't think James McCartan will buy the too small argument somehow.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Whitehair

Good win for the galgets thought that game would have been tight. We were destroyed on saturday, crans led 3.14 to 0.1 at half time having played with a strong diagonal wind in the first half. They'd a strong team out with five who started the Senior final and another two who came on as subs playing.
Dissapointing way to finish the season for us, having played 30 or so games in all competitions which was a welcome change.