Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maldini

Quote from: banker on September 24, 2009, 04:26:47 PM
Since Marty Clarke is definitely on his way home this is the Down team i would like to see line out come championship time:

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) Peter Turley
4) Martin Cole
5) Paul Murphy
6) Liam Doyle
7) Kevin Duffin
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Stephen Kearney
10) Michael Walsh
11) Martin Clarke
12) Benny Coulter
13) John Clarke
14) Peter Fitzpatrick
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

This is a fantastic team with great potential. Hopefully wee james can do the job with these lads and with the likes of murtagh, sexton, mckernan, laverty (hopefully) on the bench he has a few handy subs to throw in

lets see everyone elses teams

calm down lads, yes marty clarke's return is brilliant for the county team but that doesn't make the rest of the team now 'fantastic'

all those other players have been given plenty of chances and i can count on one hand the number of highlights theyve provided in championship football over the years

however, most of the team is still young so i hope  McCartan can bring them on

Joe Umbrella (hey)

My Selection:

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) Peter Turley
4) Martin Cole
5) Paul Murphy
6) Liam Doyle
7) Connor Garvey
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Ambrose Rodgers
10) Michael Walsh
11) Martin Clarke
12) Kevin McKernan
13) John Clarke
14) Benny Coulter
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

Thats my team, Aiden Carr, Laverty and Maginn in my opinion would also be good enough in the forward line but I can only have 6. As for extra defenders Aidan Brannigan and D Rafferty would'nt be too far away.

As for the half forward line though - awesome! 3 Boys who can pass, score from distance and who love to be on the ball. They have natural footballing brains - something lacking in our County teams these last few years!

banker

Quote from: maldini on September 24, 2009, 05:12:00 PM
Quote from: banker on September 24, 2009, 04:26:47 PM
Since Marty Clarke is definitely on his way home this is the Down team i would like to see line out come championship time:

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) Peter Turley
4) Martin Cole
5) Paul Murphy
6) Liam Doyle
7) Kevin Duffin
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Stephen Kearney
10) Michael Walsh
11) Martin Clarke
12) Benny Coulter
13) John Clarke
14) Peter Fitzpatrick
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

This is a fantastic team with great potential. Hopefully wee james can do the job with these lads and with the likes of murtagh, sexton, mckernan, laverty (hopefully) on the bench he has a few handy subs to throw in

lets see everyone elses teams

calm down lads, yes marty clarke's return is brilliant for the county team but that doesn't make the rest of the team now 'fantastic'

all those other players have been given plenty of chances and i can count on one hand the number of highlights theyve provided in championship football over the years

however, most of the team is still young so i hope  McCartan can bring them on

These players may have been given plenty of oppurtunities but i believe that wee james will bring in a new system which the players will adapt well to unlike any of ross and djs systems!
hopefully the other lads will flourish on the return of the 2 clarkes and michael walsh. i would actually consider a change in midfield in bringin ambrose into it instead of kearney. this would leave james a good bench to choose from with players like murtagh, sexton, mckernan, laverty if he makes it, maginn, garvey, aidan carr, d rafferty and steven kearney. with a good starting team and a good depth in the squad i believe wee james will do better with this bunch of players than ross a and dj did

Carbery

What ever happened to James Colgan?

Leo

Quote from: Joe Umbrella (hey) on September 24, 2009, 06:15:54 PM
My Selection:

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) Peter Turley
4) Martin Cole
5) Paul Murphy
6) Liam Doyle
7) Connor Garvey
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Ambrose Rodgers
10) Michael Walsh
11) Martin Clarke
12) Kevin McKernan
13) John Clarke
14) Benny Coulter
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

Thats my team, Aiden Carr, Laverty and Maginn in my opinion would also be good enough in the forward line but I can only have 6. As for extra defenders Aidan Brannigan and D Rafferty would'nt be too far away.

As for the half forward line though - awesome! 3 Boys who can pass, score from distance and who love to be on the ball. They have natural footballing brains - something lacking in our County teams these last few years!

Kalum King ahead of Ambrose for midfield in my opinion. I'd play Ambros at 11 with McKernan losing out to Clarke. A bench with Maginn, Hanna, Duffin, Devlin , Poland, Brannigan, Sloan and O'Reilly (if he  stays) would be quite strong.
Fierce tame altogether

Maiden1

Some great options in midfield and in the forwards

Midfield
Gordon
Rodgers
King

Forwards
Walsh
M Clarke
J Clarke
McComiskey
Coulter
McKernan
Laverty
Hughes

A few of the young guys like Peter Fitzpatrick and Magee from the u21's would be good options as well.

If they could learn to defend like Tyrone they would have a great team.  A couple of Ricey McMenamin's in defence would be handy.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

meatsy86

1) Brendan McVeigh
2) Luke Howard
3) P Murphy
4) Martin Cole
5) K McKernan/T Hanna
6) Liam Doyle
7) Connor Garvey
8 ) Dan Gordon
9) Ambrose Rodgers
10) Benny Coulter
11) Martin Clarke
12) Danny Hughes
13) John Clarke
14) Michael Walsh
15) Paul Mc Cumiskey

Dulaney

Anyone else hear that wee pete assisted by John Rafferty is to be unveiled as the new Armagh manager tonight???

supersub

Are all matches goin ahead tomorrow as per fixtures?

No didn't hear that - can't see the latter being true.

T O Hare

Quote from: Dulaney on September 25, 2009, 02:52:28 PM
Anyone else hear that wee pete assisted by John Rafferty is to be unveiled as the new Armagh manager tonight???

I was texted that earlier.. not sure how true it is though!!!! Hope not!!! >:( >:(
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Lecale2

I heard that too. If it's true good luck to him. Big mistake by Armagh IMO.

stiff breeze

to talk about martin clarke starting in the championship next year is crazy, surely he will need a season of games under his belt before the selectors make the decision to include him.

Lecale2

I'd say the An Riocht selectors have already made that decision. He'll start for them in the play-offs!

stiff breeze

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 25, 2009, 08:08:55 PM
I'd say the An Riocht selectors have already made that decision. He'll start for them in the play-offs!

Id agree with you there and they would be dead right to get him to play some part but all the hype surrounding his return is needless. especially the new down manager talking like martys already part of the down panel even though he hasnt played club football this year. Just shows our new county manager is gonna base his selections this year on reputations rather than watching the league games. (this isnt a dig at marty himself more the general thinking of our county)

Long Ball

Wise up Stiff Beeze. Talk of Marty Clark needing a year to re-adjust to Gaelic Football is laughable.  Isn't it lucky for Kerry that Jack O'Connor wasn't so naive when it came to selecting Tagdh Kenelly after 9 years away!! Marty Clark came back after a year to star in An Riocht's league success. He is going to be a Down great- hopefully we can build a team  that brings him success in the next 4-5 years as miracles don't happen overnight.
Drive yer boot in her!!