Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

From our club website:

QuoteThe Joe McCrickard Cup match against Shamrocks due to be payed on Saturday is OFF due to reasons beyond our control.

It leaves us with the ridiculous situation of having no games this weekend, the Hurlers have five league games and a minimum of one championship game remaining. The senior footballers have five league games(3 home, 2 away) and the Reserves have championship and league semi-finals left to play.

Ridiculous situation just about sums it up!  >:(

johnneycool

Quote from: No1 on September 18, 2009, 02:39:11 PM
QuoteNo.1 is your man from ballygalget stayin on next year to manage the hurlers?

Dunno yet.

The managers posts in both codes are reviewed on an annual basis.  I'd say he'd be happy enough to stay on though.  Unless the big job comes up at his own club.   ;D

We couldn't afford him No1.

lecale4

Paul Blaney is first and foremost a Down fan, he has no other agenda and has nothing to gain by being involved in the selection process except hopefully a better Down team.

It's very easy to sit behind the anonimity of a site such as this and slate people with a combination of half truths and innuendo - very cowardly!!

Get off your ar*e and put in half the time Paul Blaney does for Down GAA and then maybe you can comment.

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: dundrumite on September 17, 2009, 11:55:37 PM
Quote from: CĂșig huaire on September 17, 2009, 10:38:13 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 17, 2009, 09:50:15 PM
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy

What controversy? Wee James is the right man for the job. Unless we were going to appoint a big name, big money outsider then there was no other option.

2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence

Nonsense, it was a 5 man panel, who were answerable to the CB and in turn to the clubs, if you have an issue with the appointment take it up with your club, who in turn can raise the matter with the CB if they feel you have a case. (Which you don't)

3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak

What else would you expect from what is an amateur organisation. Maybe we should appoint a team of PR consultants?? Yes it was wrong, but we all make mistakes, in the grand scheme of things its no big deal.

4. the bickering amoung genuine Down GAA followers (just read this thread),

I have met very few people who are not in favour of Wee James getting the job. And as for genuine Down supporters on this thread or board for that matter, how many of you go to games on a regular basis? I reckon there are about a half dozen posters on this board who regularly attend county games.

5. there is no imagination in the actual appointment so expect more the same - we got the wrong man and therefore continued failure,

We are not Kerry or Tyrone, name a big name outsider who would take us on? Micko? Paidi?  Get real. James is the right man for the job at this time and is entitled to our support.

6. need I go on?

No your argument has already been ripped to shreds.

Touche

Dundrumite, I like you because you make me laugh.  According to you nothing I have said has happened and you say I should "get real"??

Sorr but I can only laugh at you and the lack of veracity of what you seen to believe are conclusive winning counter statements.  Its still only your opinion, and whatever happened to the H in IMHO.

Am begining to thinkI may know you. You wouldn't happen by any chance to be very mature current Dumdrum Sen goalie?  The one who thought it was a great act to empty out Enda Gormley's water bottle during a match.  Based on quality of your arguments sounds about your level. 
Bye the way, how high are your expectations for James' achievements in 2010, 2011?       

Mourne Rover

Guevara, are you serious about your claim that James Colgan has had `more chances than most' at senior level ? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember him playing at any stage in a NFL game. He came on in injury time against Donegal in the 2006 SFC without touching the ball, and his only competive match was Armagh in the 2008 semi. He had a difficult start, but settled well, scored a fine point and generally looked like a decent prospect for a number of central positions. Something must have happened behind the scenes as he was immediately dropped and has never subsequently featured. He may or may not make the grade, but it would be harsh to suggest that we have had a reasonable  opportunity to assess his potential. Given his contribution in club, college and under age county competitions, we should at least give him a couple of runs in the new year. 

passedit

How many people moaning about the selection comittee now were up in arms last week when Pete was nailed on?
Don't Panic

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Mourne Rover on September 19, 2009, 12:19:57 AM
Guevara, are you serious about your claim that James Colgan has had `more chances than most' at senior level ? Please correct me if I am wrong, but I cannot remember him playing at any stage in a NFL game. He came on in injury time against Donegal in the 2006 SFC without touching the ball, and his only competive match was Armagh in the 2008 semi. He had a difficult start, but settled well, scored a fine point and generally looked like a decent prospect for a number of central positions. Something must have happened behind the scenes as he was immediately dropped and has never subsequently featured. He may or may not make the grade, but it would be harsh to suggest that we have had a reasonable  opportunity to assess his potential. Given his contribution in club, college and under age county competitions, we should at least give him a couple of runs in the new year.

I totally agree Mourne Rover. Colgan is more than good enough and deserves a run off games. If he got the chances players like Jack Lynch, John Boyle, Peter Turley, John Fegan, Colm Murney etc... got im sure he would have took his. Ross was a prat to players like James, John Clarke, Mickey Walsh and Conor Laverty and his dislike off these men cost him as they are better than more than half off last years squad. It was a joke and Ross could never give an explaination for their absence, he just bluffed it off.

Lecale2

Quotein fairness to Ballycran, they are meant to be putting out a minor team (Ulster league) and a senior and reserve team (antrim league) tomorrow but I can either see the minor game moved to the sunday or they'll not play the reserve game not to mention the Joe McCrickard. I don't think its anything to do with the senior final being on next week.

The minor final was called off on Thursday. The 2 Antrim matches go ahead.

behind the wire

Quote from: guevara on September 18, 2009, 02:12:10 PM
A few boys In my opinion should be in with a shout next year based on what I have seen this year!

Kalum King (B'Ford) - Big lad who dominates midfield anytime Ive seen him - fitness may be an issue

Colm Kearney (B'Ford) Best forward I have seen this year should be a cert.

Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo) Tight marker who has had another good year.

Paul Devlin (Kilcoo) Has pushed on from his Minor days as an outstanding talent. Has filled out a bit. Great footballer

Conor Lavery (Kilcoo) In the form of his life. He may be small but ask any defender who has marked him was it easy?

Ryan Mallon (Warrenpoint) Come on massively in past 2 or 3 years. Any man that can clean Ambrose Rodgers out at Midfield should be in!

Ryan Boyle (Warrenpoint) Only for bad injury this year I think he would've stepped up from the u-21. One of the best attacking half backs in the County

Ryan Stranney (L'Island) Big powerful fella who has been impressive for the Island this year.

Mickey Walsh (M'Bridge) Super footballer who pulls all the strings for the Bridge.

I just hope James bases his selection on actual performances as opposed to reputations or what boys "could do" or have done 3 or 4 years ago.
Personally I dont think guys like Colgan should be near it. He's had more chances than most......living on a reputation from Minors & has never put in a Performance Ive seen to suggest otherwise. Too slow & I think theres better Midfielders out there because lets be honest with his lack of pace you cant play him anywere else.

I also disagree with the notion that so many U-21 guys from last year should be on it. Dont get me wrong if they are the best in their position no prob but to many times last year I seen guys who were on the U-21 & Senior panels who wouldnt be in the top 3 or 4 in the County in their position!
Pick the best players based on form thats my view!!

Couldn't see it. sure his career is ruined. stephen nolan said.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

dundrumite

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on September 18, 2009, 11:23:24 PM
Quote from: dundrumite on September 17, 2009, 11:55:37 PM
Quote from: CĂșig huaire on September 17, 2009, 10:38:13 PM
1. New Manager's appointment under a big cloud of controversy

What controversy? Wee James is the right man for the job. Unless we were going to appoint a big name, big money outsider then there was no other option.

2. New Manager's selection decision alledgedly more to do with a selection panel member's less than objective influence

Nonsense, it was a 5 man panel, who were answerable to the CB and in turn to the clubs, if you have an issue with the appointment take it up with your club, who in turn can raise the matter with the CB if they feel you have a case. (Which you don't)

3. Ametuer PR irt the announcement/leak

What else would you expect from what is an amateur organisation. Maybe we should appoint a team of PR consultants?? Yes it was wrong, but we all make mistakes, in the grand scheme of things its no big deal.

4. the bickering amoung genuine Down GAA followers (just read this thread),

I have met very few people who are not in favour of Wee James getting the job. And as for genuine Down supporters on this thread or board for that matter, how many of you go to games on a regular basis? I reckon there are about a half dozen posters on this board who regularly attend county games.

5. there is no imagination in the actual appointment so expect more the same - we got the wrong man and therefore continued failure,

We are not Kerry or Tyrone, name a big name outsider who would take us on? Micko? Paidi?  Get real. James is the right man for the job at this time and is entitled to our support.

6. need I go on?

No your argument has already been ripped to shreds.

Touche

Dundrumite, I like you because you make me laugh.  According to you nothing I have said has happened and you say I should "get real"??

Sorr but I can only laugh at you and the lack of veracity of what you seen to believe are conclusive winning counter statements.  Its still only your opinion, and whatever happened to the H in IMHO.

Am begining to thinkI may know you. You wouldn't happen by any chance to be very mature current Dumdrum Sen goalie?  The one who thought it was a great act to empty out Enda Gormley's water bottle during a match.  Based on quality of your arguments sounds about your level. 
Bye the way, how high are your expectations for James' achievements in 2010, 2011?       

Firstly, I am flattered you like me, I like you as well  ;)

Secondly, I didn't feel the need to further contribute to Cuig Huaire's argument as I felt he answered all your points to my satisfaction and I agreed with them hence the touche. I'll give you it was lacking the "H" and I apologise for coming across as smug. The negativity towards both Ross and James( before the man has being at the helm for a game) is something that gets on my goat as does hear say which you base your second point on and thats why I felt the need to back the above poster's post.

Thirdly, I am not the current "very mature Dundrum Senior keeper". I see your Getting personal with " thats about my level," but thats your "humble" opinion.

Fourthly, based on what he did with an average Queens team, including three consecutive sigerson finals and getting the upper hand of a star stubbed ploy team (in tight finishes which is a trait that wouldn't go a miss with this Down team) I would be optimistic. By optimistic, I mean maximising the potential of this current crop of players, perhaps with a favourable draw an Ulster championship or an All-Ireland semi final. Granted he didn't deliver the big goods with Burren or Ballinderry, though I like to have my glass half full.

By the Who (thats available) would you personally like to see in the hot seat?   

passedit

Tullylish bt bredagh by a point. That's it for bredagh for the year I think
Don't Panic

Square Ball

Bad day for Bredagh....

Kilcoo have the first part of a treble in the championship, the beat Bredagh in the U 16 East Down championship by 3.  :(

I wish them all the best for the all county final
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Rover

Kilcoo 2-10 Bredagh 1-10. Very tight u16 ED final, which could have gone either way. Daithi O'Hanlon and Kevin Dornan had a great battle at midfield, with nothing between them. Kilcoo got their goals at the right time, although the ref missed a blatant foul during the build-up to the second one, and were 8 up going into the final quarter. Bredagh then took over and should probably have at least had a draw. However, Kilcoo are a fine side, and the all county treble, u16 minor and senior, is very much on.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Square Ball on September 19, 2009, 04:09:42 PM
Bad day for Bredagh....

Kilcoo have the first part of a treble in the championship, the beat Bredagh in the U 16 East Down championship by 3.  :(

I wish them all the best for the all county final

Cheers square ball. Two very even sides today in Saul and our goals in the second half proved decisive. Hope this Bredagh team keeps at it, they have a bright future. Hopefully now after the ladies and under 16s today our winning streak continues.

Long Ball

3 Down teams in kilmacud semi finals, longstone, Clonduff and Castlewellan.
Drive yer boot in her!!