Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

WTF dirt have these boys got on the county board?

They have managed to get tomorrow's hurling fixture against Kilclief postponed. 

Between football and hurling games between us and them they have managed to get 4 or 5 fixture changes to suit themselves this year.

No other club in the county would be given this leeway.

Square Ball

Quote from: Long Ball on September 18, 2009, 08:30:53 AM
The 5 man panel was a joke- the 5 chosen to appoint should have been totally impartial.

1- Devenney- worked with James with the University team
2- Blayney- Borther-in-Law of James
3- Haughian- Can't stand Pete McGrath (How is winning 2 All-Irelands underachieving Emmet?)

So before the interviews even began a majority of the panel were going to vote for James.
As for the CB having to give their stamp of approval that's a nonsense, they were going to agree to whatever decision the panel came to.

As for Pete finding out in the press- that's an absolute disgrace and insult and I wouldn't blame him for turning his back on Down for it.

Long Ball,you are way out of order here.Paul Blaney note not Blayney is no relation to James Mc Cartan.He has been chair of our Club Bredagh for this past 4 years,a club with 33 teams across 4 codes.Ask anyone about his fairness in dealing with all the issues across these codes and the other situations we face such as no pitch,dealing with Belfast city council and its long tradition of promoting soccer on their facilities,posts being ripped down and burnt in Hydebank playing fields.You are talking through your hat and as for Jack Devaney,he also is a member of Bredagh and while I don't know him to talk to, all that I have heard about would point towards an upstanding capbale Gaa man .Get your facts straight before coming on here with your measly nine posts and trying to blacken people's unpaid work for the Gaa.Ar-ehole.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

maldini

why were there 2 bredagh men on the selection panel in the first place??

6th sam

Quote from: No1 on September 18, 2009, 09:21:24 AM

Between football and hurling games between us and them they have managed to get 4 or 5 fixture changes to suit themselves this year.

Didn't take you for a conspiracy theorist No.1!

It's just not fair,Kilclief have apparently made several requests for postponements in the past for weddings,stag weekends,Bobby Dalzell,Strangford regatta and Castleward opera-and all have been cynically rejected by those South Downers on the County Board :D

Only joking,I know that Kilclief despite being a dual club,make every attempt to get fixtures played,yet Shamrocks appear to postpone at the drop of the hat.I think the relative league positions of yourselves and Shamrocks in both codes,shows that Kilclief's committment to playing games pays off.I think the GAA has a problem in terms of postponement or failure to field among a number of clubs.Some clubs would prefer not fielding than risk getting beaten on the field.I know our own club have been on the receiving end of hidings,as a result of fielding weakened teams,but if a club allows an ethos to develop,whereby they feel if they are short they'll make every attempt to postpone,they're in trouble.

If the stories about frequent postponements and failure to field,regarding Shamrocks are true,surely opposing clubs and the county board have to challenge this-for the good of Shamrocks  as much as anything else.

THE DADGA

No.1 is your man from ballygalget stayin on next year to manage the hurlers?

Whitehair

Quote from: 6th sam on September 18, 2009, 09:58:38 AM

It's just not fair,Kilclief have apparently made several requests for postponements in the past for weddings,stag weekends,Bobby Dalzell,Strangford regatta and Castleward opera-and all have been cynically rejected by those South Downers on the County Board :D

Only joking,I know that Kilclief despite being a dual club,make every attempt to get fixtures played,yet Shamrocks appear to postpone at the drop of the hat.I think the relative league positions of yourselves and Shamrocks in both codes,shows that Kilclief's committment to playing games pays off.I think the GAA has a problem in terms of postponement or failure to field among a number of clubs.Some clubs would prefer not fielding than risk getting beaten on the field.I know our own club have been on the receiving end of hidings,as a result of fielding weakened teams,but if a club allows an ethos to develop,whereby they feel if they are short they'll make every attempt to postpone,they're in trouble.

If the stories about frequent postponements and failure to field,regarding Shamrocks are true,surely opposing clubs and the county board have to challenge this-for the good of Shamrocks  as much as anything else.

The excuse this times something like "they've to go to Dublin for the football this weekend". We were surprised to see them down at the St. Judes 7's in Dublin a few weeks back as they don't seem to be able to find their way to any of the other Hurling clubs in Down.
Also our match v Ballycran is postponed for 3 weeks due to Ballycran competing in Minor and Senior finals over the next fortnight.
Lastly fair play to Bredagh, think i saw them down to play 2 senior Football and 2 senior Hurling matches tomorrow at 3 venues, some achievement if all games go ahead.

Square Ball

Quote from: Whitehair on September 18, 2009, 12:17:29 PM

The excuse this times something like "they've to go to Dublin for the football this weekend". We were surprised to see them down at the St. Judes 7's in Dublin a few weeks back as they don't seem to be able to find their way to any of the other Hurling clubs in Down.
Also our match v Ballycran is postponed for 3 weeks due to Ballycran competing in Minor and Senior finals over the next fortnight.
Lastly fair play to Bredagh, think i saw them down to play 2 senior Football and 2 senior Hurling matches tomorrow at 3 venues, some achievement if all games go ahead.

Another of the issues facing Bredagh that Long Ball would do well to understand.

bikeflyer30

I see Danny Hughes has come out in surpport of the wee James appointment , Do players say this to stay in the mix or are they happy with the new managment? but im sure Danny will be there anyway, but should players get a say in the new managers appointment. :-\

Leo

Quote from: Square Ball on September 18, 2009, 09:55:25 AM
The 5 man panel was a joke- the 5 chosen to appoint should have been totally impartial.

3- Haughian- Can't stand Pete McGrath (How is winning 2 All-Irelands underachieving Emmet?)

So before the interviews even began a majority of the panel were going to vote for James.
As for the CB having to give their stamp of approval that's a nonsense, they were going to agree to whatever decision the panel came to.

As for Pete finding out in the press- that's an absolute disgrace and insult and I wouldn't blame him for turning his back on Down for it.

Long Ball,you are way out of order here.Paul Blaney note not Blayney is no relation to James Mc Cartan.He has been chair of our Club Bredagh for this past 4 years,a club with 33 teams across 4 codes.Ask anyone about his fairness in dealing with all the issues across these codes and the other situations we face such as no pitch,dealing with Belfast city council and its long tradition of promoting soccer on their facilities,posts being ripped down and burnt in Hydebank playing fields.You are talking through your hat and as for Jack Devaney,he also is a member of Bredagh and while I don't know him to talk to, all that I have heard about would point towards an upstanding capbale Gaa man .Get your facts straight before coming on here with your measly nine posts and trying to blacken people's unpaid work for the Gaa.Ar-ehole.

Well said Square Ball.
My understanding is that Balney and Haughian were nominated onto the selction  panel. Don't know Devaney but I do know Blaney asa single-minded committed Down supporter who would have done what he considered right for the county, and I'm neither a Bredagh or Ballycran man nor related in any way to anyone involved.

As for Pete and the press I am disappointed that he choses to slam the rest of the county baord because of an apparent mutual   dislki kbetween him and one member of the selection panel and a leaked report, again by one person, for which too many ill-informed posters are using to castigate all and sundry.

Nobody has yet told me what the county board did wrong.

We have a new management team - it looks exciting to me and even if it isn't to everybody's liking (no appointment would) it is a big improvement on what we had with the previous incumbents. Time to be positive and get behind them.

By the way I'm told that same selection panel member is not known for his love of the Mccartans!

Up Down.
Fierce tame altogether

THE DADGA

Quote from: Leo on September 18, 2009, 12:58:57 PM

Well said Square Ball.
My understanding is that Balney and Haughian were nominated onto the selction  panel. Don't know Devaney but I do know Blaney asa single-minded committed Down supporter who would have done what he considered right for the county, and I'm neither a Bredagh or Ballycran man nor related in any way to anyone involved.

As for Pete and the press I am disappointed that he choses to slam the rest of the county baord because of an apparent mutual   dislki kbetween him and one member of the selection panel and a leaked report, again by one person, for which too many ill-informed posters are using to castigate all and sundry.

We have a new management team - it looks exciting to me and even if it isn't to everybody's liking (no appointment would) it is a big improvement on what we had with the previous incumbents. Time to be positive and get behind them.

By the way I'm told that same selection panel member is not known for his love of the Mccartans!

Up Down.
Hi Leo, (sorry this has nothin to do with the gripping management fiasco). You say Bredagh have 4 codes, wats the fourth: handball? Rounder's?

bredaghgael86

He probably meant mens football, hurling, camogie and ladies football as the four codes.

johnneycool

Quote from: Whitehair on September 18, 2009, 12:17:29 PM

in fairness to Ballycran, they are meant to be putting out a minor team (Ulster league) and a senior and reserve team (antrim league) tomorrow but I can either see the minor game moved to the sunday or they'll not play the reserve game not to mention the Joe McCrickard. I don't think its anything to do with the senior final being on next week.

We're got as bit of a reprieve as St Johns don't have a reserve team so we are in a position to get a team to go to cherryvale as well as our seniors playing the Johnnies at home, then the minors (most of whom will be playing in either game) have Rossa on the sunday.

guevara

A few boys In my opinion should be in with a shout next year based on what I have seen this year!

Kalum King (B'Ford) - Big lad who dominates midfield anytime Ive seen him - fitness may be an issue

Colm Kearney (B'Ford) Best forward I have seen this year should be a cert.

Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo) Tight marker who has had another good year.

Paul Devlin (Kilcoo) Has pushed on from his Minor days as an outstanding talent. Has filled out a bit. Great footballer

Conor Lavery (Kilcoo) In the form of his life. He may be small but ask any defender who has marked him was it easy?

Ryan Mallon (Warrenpoint) Come on massively in past 2 or 3 years. Any man that can clean Ambrose Rodgers out at Midfield should be in!

Ryan Boyle (Warrenpoint) Only for bad injury this year I think he would've stepped up from the u-21. One of the best attacking half backs in the County

Ryan Stranney (L'Island) Big powerful fella who has been impressive for the Island this year.

Mickey Walsh (M'Bridge) Super footballer who pulls all the strings for the Bridge.

I just hope James bases his selection on actual performances as opposed to reputations or what boys "could do" or have done 3 or 4 years ago.
Personally I dont think guys like Colgan should be near it. He's had more chances than most......living on a reputation from Minors & has never put in a Performance Ive seen to suggest otherwise. Too slow & I think theres better Midfielders out there because lets be honest with his lack of pace you cant play him anywere else.

I also disagree with the notion that so many U-21 guys from last year should be on it. Dont get me wrong if they are the best in their position no prob but to many times last year I seen guys who were on the U-21 & Senior panels who wouldnt be in the top 3 or 4 in the County in their position!
Pick the best players based on form thats my view!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

No1

QuoteNo.1 is your man from ballygalget stayin on next year to manage the hurlers?

Dunno yet.

The managers posts in both codes are reviewed on an annual basis.  I'd say he'd be happy enough to stay on though.  Unless the big job comes up at his own club.   ;D

Square Ball

Quote from: Leo on September 18, 2009, 12:58:57 PM

Well said Square Ball.

Up Down.

And well said back at you.Thanks Leo