Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorm agus bui

Quote from: Bitta-Banter on September 17, 2009, 12:45:46 PM
If McGrath found out that he didnt get the job via the Irish News then that is a disgrace.He was led to believe that the announcement wouldnt be made for 3 weeks.He isnt aggrieved over McCartan getting the job over him, he is making the point about how County Board acted.Anyone know make-up of managerial sub-committee?
John Devenney, Seamus Ryan, Paul Blayney, Emmet Haughian & ?Sean Óg McAteer

Upperbann

Wouldn't be hard to guess which one asked the 'dodgy' question :D

johnneycool

Quote from: gorm agus bui on September 17, 2009, 12:53:57 PM
Quote from: Bitta-Banter on September 17, 2009, 12:45:46 PM
If McGrath found out that he didnt get the job via the Irish News then that is a disgrace.He was led to believe that the announcement wouldnt be made for 3 weeks.He isnt aggrieved over McCartan getting the job over him, he is making the point about how County Board acted.Anyone know make-up of managerial sub-committee?
John Devenney, Seamus Ryan, Paul Blayney, Emmet Haughian & ?Sean Óg McAteer

Is one of those lads not a close relation to the successful candidate?

Upperbann

Nah! 2nd cousin twice removed maybe. But a few of them are QUB old boys!!

bikeflyer30

Im happy to see Brian McIver on board it's some thing new but is Paddy Tally just doing the same job as before? I still think Pete was the way to go:-(

dundrumite

Quote from: DaddyLongLegs on September 17, 2009, 08:23:43 AM
Hear now that Pete McGath is complaining about the manager selection process. Does Pete expect some special treatment - does he forget how far his halo had slipped prior to the appointment of his successor.?
How many egoheads do we have in this county - first the embarrassment of Ross & co who just didnt know when to go and now Pete jumping up & down like a petulant child. My memorys not that good now, but I dont remember Paddy O'Rourke making a show of himself when things didnt work out - he left like a gentleman. dignity intact.

I totally despair with these others who seem to need/want their egos massaged on a regular basis. Mind you, it doent just happen at county level  - most clubs seem to own one or two as well!!!

Catch a grip. Pete is not an ego. I would be slightly pissed off if thats the way I found out also. That rant of yours is over the top lad.

thewobbler

Quotebut I dont remember Paddy O'Rourke making a show of himself when things didnt work out - he left like a gentleman. dignity intact.
You've a selective memory.

13aside

yep,run by a bunch of (sh....)amateurs

bikeflyer30

Did Paddy O' Rourke not go on UTV and put the blame on schools for the mess the county team was in?

banker

1) G.Joyce (ballymartin) Has not been tested at this level worth a go
2) A.Brannigan (kilcoo) His 2009 season speaks for itself. Best defender i have seen this year
3) G.McArdle (annaclone) Fantastic in the 2008 mckenna cup. Never really got more chances after. Worth a shot
4) Conor Poland (longstone) Some might think that it is a bit early but i think he will give this Down team something different
5) G.Johnson (Tullylish) Seems to be a versatile player as any time we play them he plays somewhere different! great athletic player. Questions to be answered if he can step it up to this level
6) L.Sloan (Attical) Thought he was superb for Down in the Mckenna cup and they never gave him a chance after. well worth his place
7)  Liam Doyle (Liatroim) Speeks for himself. He is what Down missed this year
8 ) k.King (Bryansford) A beast of a man back to his very best. I think he could be a regular in the Down team
9) J.Colgan (An Riocht) Many believe he is over rated. Think he is out to prove everyone wrong this year
10) J.McGovern (Burren) He is the Burren forward line by himself. A fantastic player
11) M.Walsh (Mayobridge) The best playmaker in the county without a doubt. Has been in superb form. He is what the Down half forward line lacks. A playmaker!
12) J.McAreavey (Tullylish) Another poster already mentioned 2-3 v Donegal and never seen again. Bit greedy when we play them but with the right players with him it will not happen.
13) C.Laverty (Kilcoo) A cheeky wee bugger but thats what we need. The current Down team are too nice. He is our ricey mc menamin type of personality. Great player can bring others into the game
14) J.Clarke (An Riocht) What a player. Disgrace he was thrown out of the Down team last year. One of the greatest point takers in the county.
15) P.Devlin (Kilcoo) A bit light of himself. If he bulked up a bit he would be a star. Will make it but could be a bit early.

I believe everyone of these lads deserve a go in the Down team. Most players are div 1 but that is were most of the quality is. People may think its wild throwing 2 div3 players into this team but they are great players. A few others i would throw into that team would be:
Darren O'Hanlon (Ballymartin)
M Magee (Ardglass)
J Doran (Lisiand)
J Murphy (Ballyholland)

13aside

it appears from todays irish news that this someone  has waited seventeen years to exact some sort of revenge on pete,what a shame that he seems to have used his trusted and important position in our (yes-OUR !!!) county to self-serve.I would like to make it clear that i fully support the new management and wish them the very best of luck,it just seems to me that all this could and should have been avoided and yet again we make the headlines for the wrong reasons     

Long Ball

Well said 13aside. Pete desreved better than that. The Longstone man in question should NEVER have had a say in the selection process. Down football is forever indebted to Pete for the success he brought us. While James would not have been my choice he deserves the support of the entire county now for the good of Down football
Drive yer boot in her!!

thewobbler

Wind this back a bit fellas please. It was a five man committee. Last time I looked, one vote isn't enough to seal a deal in these situations.

The person who has swung the county management decision into a personal matter is Pete McGrath, not anyone from Longstone.

centre 3/4s

Anyone trying to justify the treatment served out to pete is as big tr**p as those on the conty board who sanctioned the appointment of the new management team... the service that man gave to this county was second to none what did any of those pricks on the selection panel ever do for this county especially that longstone nob!

thewobbler

I'm justifying nothing centre 3/4s. Why the likes of you have to turn simple decisions into huge scandals, I just don't know.

The selection committee had a job to do, which they did with minimal fuss, in quick time, and with a large amount of discretion. Very few whispers came out of that camp during the process. And in the end they've reached a decision that is popular with everyone I've talked to in recent days.

It seems though the cat came out of the bag a little too early regarding the appointment, and that this has upset Pete McGrath enough to turn this into a personal issue. Storm in a teacup. Load of noise about nothing. But he has managed to find people like you bang his drum for him.