Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

east down gael

With regards the incident in the bredagh st pauls game last night people need to take a step back and calm down.

Mid Down Gael

Just after reading Matt Fitzpatricks preview to Stone v Liatroim and Ford v Kilcoo in Irish News. That man seriously has not a clue. He mentions Kilcoo will look to minor stars Ollie and Ciaran McClean and Darragh OHanlon. For a start Darragh is 16 and is not allowed to play any adult football while Ollie has never played a level above minors never mind senior championship. Ciaran is a senior panelist and probably wont even be in first 24 havin only featured in one league game all year.
Every year Matt writes the biggest pile off shite. I wonder where he gets his information from because he has not been at one Kilcoo game this year and i doubt if he has seen the fontenoys, stone or the Ford. Its pretty bad when you cant get and accurate preview off whos involved in the Irish News.

thewobbler

I thought his description of Carryduff vs Ardglass as a derby match was quite bizarre.

down6061689194

And every week in the Down Recorder the blind man and his dog would realise he didn't have enough content for his column so decided to wish someone a happy birthday or bring up some stupid story he heard. Mans an Ejit.

off the laces

Quote from: thewobbler on August 06, 2009, 08:58:17 AM
I thought his description of Carryduff vs Ardglass as a derby match was quite bizarre.
Just giving Ardglass a mention so he can get Tea and Biscuits again next time he is out there... ;)
Keeps 'er' straight

johnneycool

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on August 06, 2009, 08:00:11 AM
Just after reading Matt Fitzpatricks preview to Stone v Liatroim and Ford v Kilcoo in Irish News. That man seriously has not a clue. He mentions Kilcoo will look to minor stars Ollie and Ciaran McClean and Darragh OHanlon. For a start Darragh is 16 and is not allowed to play any adult football while Ollie has never played a level above minors never mind senior championship. Ciaran is a senior panelist and probably wont even be in first 24 havin only featured in one league game all year.
Every year Matt writes the biggest pile off shite. I wonder where he gets his information from because he has not been at one Kilcoo game this year and i doubt if he has seen the fontenoys, stone or the Ford. Its pretty bad when you cant get and accurate preview off whos involved in the Irish News.

Matt quotes off any county players from that club and goes from there even if they're retired a good few years previous. He's been using this technique for as long as I can remember.

Brick Tamlin

lads, forgive my ignorance, argument in work here that needs settled. How many players can actually strip out for championship over the weekend. i understood that ye had to name panel of 24 to strip out (15 take the field and 9 named subs on the bench). is it possible that you could have any more than 9 stripped out on bench, obviosuly they arent named and cant play but can they, as panel members still be inside the dugout stripped, and be part of it all. Do clubs bring 30 and just name 24? i thought it was just 24 inside the wire and thats it, no more but this guy reckons not.

D4S

Tonights Betting!

5/4 Liatroim  6/1   Longstone 4/6
5/6   +1.5                -1.5      5/6

5/2 Ardglass  7/1   Carryduff  1/3
5/6      +4.5             -4.5     5/6
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

DownFanatic

At least Matt Fitzpatrick tried to put a bit of effort in to his Championship preview this week. The Mourne Observer carried about four small paragraphs in theirs and they only mentioned one JFC game and three IFC games.

Matt's previews and reviews are becoming seriously outdated. The terms 'well balanced team', 'sound defence' and 'fast moving attack' are used to describe every team he analyses.

His previews are also littered with innacuracies. For example, he has Paul O'Shea down as the Ardglass manager + the Kilcoo faux pas that Mid Down Gael alluded to.

I would be very confident of doing a much more comprehensive and accurate preview of our Championships than any local journalist.

Just a question: Is there a gap in the market for a monthly Down GAA magazine? Surely something like this could work well. With the right contributors it would offer much better local GAA coverage than our weekly newspapers which generally just rely on club PRO's submitting match reports and club notes.

maldini

you should bring that plan to the dragons den Down Fanatic

Matt also named a player who has played 1 game this season for Darragh Cross as one of their key men.

He has used the opening line - Its championship time again, for the last 20 years!

DownFanatic

Quote from: maldini on August 06, 2009, 11:36:59 AM
you should bring that plan to the dragons den Down Fanatic

Matt also named a player who has played 1 game this season for Darragh Cross as one of their key men.

He has used the opening line - Its championship time again, for the last 20 years!

Theo Paphitis would never entertain it. He's a soccer man.

Nailed On

Quote from: D4S on August 06, 2009, 11:30:27 AM
Tonights Betting!

5/4 Liatroim  6/1   Longstone 4/6
5/6   +1.5                -1.5      5/6

5/2 Ardglass  7/1   Carryduff  1/3
5/6      +4.5             -4.5     5/6

This from Hughes' D4S?

norabeag

Matts coverage is a load of bollix. His previews just consist of listing players names he thinks might still be playing whether thay are retired , dead, or emigrated and his chat is more of a name dropping exercise
His analysis is shocking but it mirrors the attitude of the Down Recorder to Gaelic games.
If it was not for the clubs sending in their notes there would be nothing of note.
At least the democrat made a good stab at objectively covering GAA.

Town Gael

Last year Matt mentioned 8 Castlewellan players in the Irish News- 5 of whom didn't even play last year!!! This is not making an effort, this is poor journalism. You wouldn't get away with such a lazy effort in any other job and going by the standard of reports on many Down club websites there are people within the county more than capable of doing a better job.

Downboy

Hey all , I am  brand spanking new so please be gentle

D4S - you have any odds for other games.

Specifically Castlewellan Saval if you have it
cheers