Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miss mess

leo smyth was the referree tonight for the stone match, terrible, gave two penalties and i still dont know what for.

Brick Tamlin

il see your Ned Morgan/Dominic Brogan/Brannigan/Rawlinson and il raise ye Leo Smyth or Peter Mc Clorey.

Green+Gold

I''ve witnessed some terrible refs this season. Ned Morgan must like Glassdrumman as it's not the first time this year he's tried his best to get them a result. Anyone had Ned McGrath ref them recently he didn't seem to know the rules when doing a Div 2 game I was at. Another thing is refs playing for a draw thinking both teams will be happy so they dont get any abuse.
Refs should be assessed on their performances and if they arent up to standard they shoudnt be getting games.

miss mess

penalties aside, the point deserved the win tonight i'll give you's that.  a few loughisland players there eyein up the opposition for the championship.

In the Onion Bag

Against the flow of recent posts I know but the ref at the Bredagh v Glen game did a great job. In terrible conditions he allowed both teams to provide a very entertaining game.  Credit where credit is due.  Don't know who he was.

Town Gael

Brogan got sent off for saying "That's f***ing wild" then when he was calling him over to book him he said " I just want you to do it fairly for both teams" and Brannigan showed him 2 yellow cards!  We would still have lost if he had been on but not by as much and Brannigan is not a good ref

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: Town Gael on July 31, 2009, 11:38:46 PM
Brogan got sent off for saying "That's f***ing wild" then when he was calling him over to book him he said " I just want you to do it fairly for both teams" and Brannigan showed him 2 yellow cards!  We would still have lost if he had been on but not by as much and Brannigan is not a good ref

Call me old fashioned if you want I think the quote above shows a lack of respect bordering on soccer standards and deserving of a sending off.
I want my game, the gaelic game, to be above this.  I much prefer the Rugby model where, even when the ref is wrong, players always give total respect and accept the decision. 

passedit

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 31, 2009, 11:32:41 PM
Against the flow of recent posts I know but the ref at the Bredagh v Glen game did a great job. In terrible conditions he allowed both teams to provide a very entertaining game.  Credit where credit is due.  Don't know who he was.

Was talking to a spectator at this game earlier and he too was very complimentary about the ref.

The ref in the St Pauls Tullylish game seemed to have decided that football was a non contact sport. frustrating for a Bif like myself but probably understandable given the conditions.
Don't Panic

dundrumite

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on July 31, 2009, 11:45:16 PM
Quote from: Town Gael on July 31, 2009, 11:38:46 PM

Call me old fashioned if you want I think the quote above shows a lack of respect bordering on soccer standards and deserving of a sending off.
I want my game, the gaelic game, to be above this.  I much prefer the Rugby model where, even when the ref is wrong, players always give total respect and accept the decision. 
Agreed 100 % rugby referees have authority and respect, something that is sadly lacking in our game, which continues to creep in the direction of soccer.
Think its bang out of order when they are giving up free time to get named and shamed on this... Admittedly my blood has being boiling at certain referees performances. However, you just have to accept it and come to realise without these men no football would be played. I am sure some of your own club players made mistakes tonight,(probably more than some of the referees) but they seem to escape criticism.

dundrumite

Liatriom v Longstone       
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness
Shamrocks v Kilclief
Ballymartin v Drumgath
Dundrum v Saul
Bredagh v Atticall
Downpatrick v Tullylish
Darragh Cross v St Johns

Junior Football Championship

Dromara v Aughlisnafin
St Michaels v Glenn
Mitchels v Teconnaught

thegael

the problem with refs is we haven't got enough so the guys that do go forward and fair play to them are laws onto themselves - what the refereees report says is sacrosanct full stop.
it is a shameful way and really any clown can have too much power but hey what is the alternative!!!!!!!!!!................

bredaghgael86

The difference with rugby referees is that they are approachable and willing to explain (mostly to the captain) what the free was awarded for. GAA refs should adopt a similar policy so at least a player understands instead of being clueless.  having said that, the majority are guessing or giving frees for what they think they saw.  in fairness i wouldnt be up for doing it, its a thankless job where its virtually impossible to please everyone.

mournerambler

Liatriom v Longstone       
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness