Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

do we have to pick winners of alll the championships?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

umpire

Square Ball

19 of First round games SFC, IFC and JFC
12 of Quarter final games SFC, IFC and JFC
6 of semi final games SFC, IFC and JFC

6 Finals of SFC, IFC, JFC, PRFC, RFC and MFC.

In total 43 games.
Again this year, outright wins accepted only.

umpire

Previous meetings

2008 First round,
Liatriom 1.10 Longstone 2.7

Liatriom
Hugh Smyth
Declan O'Prey, Aidan Rice, Martin Armstrong;
Joe Malone, Micheal McCartan, Aidan Brown;
Colin McCrickard 0.1, Tommy Armstrong;
Dan Morgan, PP McCartan 0.2, PD Savage;
Paul Burns 0.1, Aidan O'Prey 1.2, Declan Burns 0.4;
Subs used
Liam Morgan, Paul Brennan and Jarlath Austin.

Longstone
Adrain Poland,
Glen Burden, Eamon Quinn, Cormac Poland;
Mark Doran, Barry Kelly, Conor Smith;
Peter Trainor, Conor Poland;
Adrain Trainor 0.1, Barry Doran 0.4, Gerard Quinn;
John Magee, Ryan Kelly 1.1, Stephen Doran 1.1
Subs used
Mark Harrison Gary Trainor and Michael Ireland

2008 First round replay
Liatriom 0.7 Longstone 0.5

Liatriom team
Hugh Smyth
Declan O'Prey, Aidan Rice, Martin Armstrong;
Joe Malone, Micheal McCartan, Aidan Brown;
Colin McCrickard, Tommy Armstrong;
Dan Morgan, PP McCartan 0.6, PD Savage;
Paul Burns, Aidan O'Prey 0.1, Liam Morgan;
Subs used
Rory Burns and Jarlath Austin.

Longstone team
Adrain Poland,
Glen Burden, Eamon Quinn, Cormac Poland;
Mark Harrison, Barry Kelly, Conor Smith;
John Magee, Conor Poland 0.1;
Adrain Trainor 0.1, Barry Doran 0.2, Gary Trainor;
Mark Poland, Ryan Kelly, Stephen Doran
Subs used
K Doran 0.1 and Micheal Ireland

2004 Senior Final
Mayobridge 4.14 Annaclone 0.8

Mayobridge team
Sean Featherstone,
Gavin Barry, Kieran O'Hare, Ronan O'Hare;
Brendan Grant, Francis Poland 0.1, Darragh Tighe;
Eoghan Woods. Declan Rooney 0.1;
Noel Sexton 0.3, Benny Coulter 2.4, Adrain Barry 1.0;
John Quinn 0.1, Mickey Linden 0.2, Robbie Coulter;
Subs used
Conrad Fegan and Paul Cunningham 1.0

Annaclone team
Mark McNeill;
Peter McColgan, Benny McArdle, Gary McArdle;
John Haughey, Colm Farrell, Gary Burns;
Sean Pyres, Kevin Doyle;
Colm Fegan 0.4, Gerard Fegan 0.3, Thomas Pyres;
Martin Farrell, Paul Burns, Martin McAleenan;
Subs used
?. Fegan 0.1 Conor McConville and Daniel McCusker.

Don't have any recent record of other 6 games in Senior Championship.

guevara

The Shamrocks thing I know pissed a lot of people off. Hugh Davey was home a few weeks & brought straight in yet boys who had been playing away all year & possibly shouldve been on it were left in the cold.
No offence to Shamrocks at all but there Div II side of last year wouldve been lucky to have two men you could nominate for the county never mind the seven.
It showed the clubs there was an obvious bias towards selection & I think the two of the (DJ in particular) lost a lot of credibiltiy over it.

I agree Aidan Carr has been played all over the place but anytime he's played he's been very poor. He isn't a natural free taker but then maybe he's one of a few prepared to step up & hit them.
The incident with Clarke in the Winter showed again certain boys had one rule & others obeyed a different one. Ross has done nothing in his tenure to justify another year & results speak for themselves.
There are certain boys that no matter how bad they play they will stay on & Saturday past proved this. Hanna was the scapegoat & even the media cried foul over it!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

western exile

Quote from: guevara on July 23, 2009, 10:16:37 AM
The Shamrocks thing I know pissed a lot of people off. Hugh Davey was home a few weeks & brought straight in yet boys who had been playing away all year & possibly shouldve been on it were left in the cold.
No offence to Shamrocks at all but there Div II side of last year wouldve been lucky to have two men you could nominate for the county never mind the seven.
It showed the clubs there was an obvious bias towards selection & I think the two of the (DJ in particular) lost a lot of credibiltiy over it.

I agree Aidan Carr has been played all over the place but anytime he's played he's been very poor. He isn't a natural free taker but then maybe he's one of a few prepared to step up & hit them.
The incident with Clarke in the Winter showed again certain boys had one rule & others obeyed a different one. Ross has done nothing in his tenure to justify another year & results speak for themselves.
There are certain boys that no matter how bad they play they will stay on & Saturday past proved this. Hanna was the scapegoat & even the media cried foul over it!!
That is simply not true. You could not have attended many games over the last couple of years if you draw that conclusion

guevara

Quite the opposite in fact Western Exile!!
I've been to the majority of games over the past few years including McKenna Cup.
Why is it that as soon as you disagree with somebody's opinion on here they jump to the conclusion that you are a "Sofa Supporter"????.
In "my opinion" Aidan Carr hasnt fulfilled the obvious potential he has this year!
The truth is a lot of the fellas on that team will never be hauled ashore no matter how poorly they perform. There is a definite clique of some sort but that may not be the actual players fault more to do with management giving certain boys "untouchable" status
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

western exile

So if you mean "this year" then maybe....   But you said "anytime he has played"  which is simply not true

Brick Tamlin

complete pointless argument. Aidan Carr is well fit for county colours and is a very decent footballer, end of story.
Move along now, nothing here to see.

guevara

Apologies I was referring to this year!
Brick nobody is questioning whether the fella is good enough to wear the shirt.
Like most supporters Im a bit disillusioned with management decisions regarding him.

Michael Jordan

thewobbler

In my opinion Aidan Carr was Down's best performer over the 2008 Championship, when his loose marking from half-back was more than compensated by his playmaking ability. He was one of the real leaders of the team last year.

He didn't have a good 2009. But how many Down players have turned in back-to-back big seasons for us in recent years?

To suggest he isn't county standard is madness.

Mid Down Gael

Aidan Carr is well worth his place on the county panel. But he has had some poor games and was left on the pitch. He should have been subtituted in Enniskillen and ended up being so frustrated and got the line. I think Aidan would be a much better player for Down under a new manager.

guevara

Let me point out, I am in no way saying he shouldn't be on the panel. I believe having to play for a team your father manages places undue pressure on the fella & probably is in part an explanation of poor performance.
But Ross created a can of worms last Saturday in his actions & the decision with John Clarke. IMHO I believe Aidan Carr isn't a defender but a half forward, in which position in that line is a dilemma.
Under a new regime he may flourish into one of Down's best players.

Michael Jordan

downredblack

I was away for the match and didn't see it (Thks for the link wobbler , I didn't make it) . I have it recorded but can't bring myself to watch it but I have to say that some of the criticisms regarding the Aidan Carr substitution are a bit harsh . It has been posted here that Hanna had an injury going into the game if this is the case then his early substitution would make sense . Also who was hitting our frees / 45's prior to Aidan Carr coming on ? could this of led to Carr's early introduction ? Do I think that Ross Carr would potentially weaken his team just to have his son on the field ? Definitely not .

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: downredblack on July 23, 2009, 04:02:09 PM
I was away for the match and didn't see it (Thks for the link wobbler , I didn't make it) . I have it recorded but can't bring myself to watch it but I have to say that some of the criticisms regarding the Aidan Carr substitution are a bit harsh . It has been posted here that Hanna had an injury going into the game if this is the case then his early substitution would make sense . Also who was hitting our frees / 45's prior to Aidan Carr coming on ? could this of led to Carr's early introduction ? Do I think that Ross Carr would potentially weaken his team just to have his son on the field ? Definitely not .

Paul McComiskey hit close in frees and had 100 per cent record, Benny McArdle hit one with left and scored and Ambrose scored a long range free off the ground as well as missin one near the end. So Aidan was not brought on for frees. He deserverd to be brought on at that stage but not for Hanna, who was injury free, it should have been for Garvey or Murphy.

islandboy

Liatriom v Longstone     
Bryansford v Kilcoo 
Clann na Banna v An Riocht
Loughinisland v Warrenpoint
Castlewellan v Saval 
Mayobridge v Annaclone
Clonduff v Rostrevor
Ballyholland v Burren

Intermediate Championship

Ardglass v Carryduff
Glasdrumman v Drumaness