Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Ross Carr is the man for the job. Anyone I have talked to that has played under him rates him very highly. I think he has done a fairly good job with what he has had at his disposal.

The problems we have in Down are:

1 - We have petty, over sceptical 'supporters' who live to critiscise
2 - We just don't have enough of the highest standard of quality inter-county players in our starting 15
3 - We don't have a recognised centre of excellence to bring along our very talented youth who over the past few years have excelled at Vocational and to a lesser extent Ulster Colleges level.

supersub

Quote from: downredblack on March 16, 2009, 01:13:45 PM
Why would Martin Cole be sitting at home other than injury or illness ?

as a matter of fact he was neither of these!

gaahead2008

down fanatic - you obviously have spoken to very lads that have played under carr: you only have to ask any of the panelists from the minor squad of 2004!!
And as for his time in Monaghan, the fact that there was a vote of no confidence at the end of his second season is very alarming!
in addition to this, he rushed ambrose back last week but yet this week is trying to cover his tracks by saying rodgers isnt ready! what a joke!
his son is apparently injured but is fit to slide down a slope somewhere!
longford where very poor yesterday, the overall down performance was disappointing also. but we got two points and thats what counts.
tom ohare: if there was less fat cats sitting at the dinner tables post match, then perhaps more of the county players up and down the country could travel with their so-called team mates!! i dare say carr's son wont be left out of the top 24 when he returns from his holidays, unless of course he picks up a injury on the slopes.....

western exile

Quote from: gaahead2008 on March 16, 2009, 06:51:59 PM
down fanatic - you obviously have spoken to very lads that have played under carr: you only have to ask any of the panelists from the minor squad of 2004!!
And as for his time in Monaghan, the fact that there was a vote of no confidence at the end of his second season is very alarming!
in addition to this, he rushed ambrose back last week but yet this week is trying to cover his tracks by saying rodgers isnt ready! what a joke!
his son is apparently injured but is fit to slide down a slope somewhere!
longford where very poor yesterday, the overall down performance was disappointing also. but we got two points and thats what counts.
tom ohare: if there was less fat cats sitting at the dinner tables post match, then perhaps more of the county players up and down the country could travel with their so-called team mates!! i dare say carr's son wont be left out of the top 24 when he returns from his holidays, unless of course he picks up a injury on the slopes.....
gaahead2008, go buy a dictionary.  If you cannot afford one, here is a snippet

sup⋅port⋅er    /səˈpɔrtər, -ˈpoʊr-/  Spelled Pronunciation [suh-pawr-ter, -pohr-]
–noun
1.    a person or thing that supports.
2.    an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate.

Pangurban

3 - We don't have a recognised centre of excellence to bring along our very talented youth who over the past few years have excelled at Vocational and to a lesser extent Ulster Colleges level.

The above is the most relevant point made during this debate

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Pangurban on March 16, 2009, 08:59:32 PM

The above is the most relevant point made during this debate

Has anyone any suggestions on a centre of excellance?

Pangurban

The new development proposed for Byransford could be extended to include a centre of excellence

NedFlanders

Has this thread turned into the Brendan McVeigh and John Clarke thread, both went to Auz big deal, they deserved it, giving 100% for bot club and count can take it tole, i agree with the gael, get Carr and Dj out, would be best for Down football.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: NedFlanders on March 17, 2009, 01:52:19 AM
Has this thread turned into the Brendan McVeigh and John Clarke thread, both went to Auz big deal, they deserved it, giving 100% for bot club and count can take it tole, i agree with the gael, get Carr and Dj out, would be best for Down football

nonsense! ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you made that silly remark under the influence of a few beers ;D
The Boys in Red and Black are back

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: dodgy umpire on March 17, 2009, 10:02:51 AM
Quote from: NedFlanders on March 17, 2009, 01:52:19 AM
Has this thread turned into the Brendan McVeigh and John Clarke thread, both went to Auz big deal, they deserved it, giving 100% for bot club and count can take it tole, i agree with the gael, get Carr and Dj out, would be best for Down football

nonsense! ill give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you made that silly remark under the influence of a few beers ;D

Getting them out at this stage of season will do no good watsoever. If we get out of Division 3 and get a good run in championship then we would have to give the management credit. if not then im afraid its another year of failure. it would also be great if the management give Clarke, Colgan and Michael Walsh a chance again and put their personal issues to one side. they would get a lot of respect for that because anyone who knows their football know these 3 are in the top players in the county and are better than a lot of lads playing at present.

Mid Down Gael

Any word on Under 21 lineout and the lads that made the first 24 for tommorrow nights game with Fermanagh? I would expect a Down victory in this one.

lfdown2

sweet jesus this has got ridiculous again, these lads are not on the panel maybe they should maybe not, not my decision, we have one defeat in the league and at the minute are in the right position for promotion, we are ticking along nicely with our more senior players still to come into the frame, last year we made a great burst at the start of the year then faultered, personally i would prefer if we continue the build up to the championship and get our best players fit with a few games under there belt before eniskillen!

gorm agus bui

Have we given up on getting even one player from Kilcoo or Castlewellan even into the panel? ::)

And where exactly does Kevin Duffin play his football

lfdown2

Quote from: gorm agus bui on March 17, 2009, 01:10:15 PM
Have we given up on getting even one player from Kilcoo or Castlewellan even into the panel? ::)

And where exactly does Kevin Duffin play his football

I would imagine so this year, how about the lads that are there get on with it, brannigan and lavery were given their chance!

supersub

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on March 17, 2009, 10:20:33 AM
Any word on Under 21 lineout and the lads that made the first 24 for tommorrow nights game with Fermanagh? I would expect a Down victory in this one.

think its something like this

gordan

turley
higgins
m.digney

poland
j.fitzpatrick
t.hanna

p.fitzpatrick
m.magee

j.oreilly
maginn