Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on March 03, 2009, 12:59:39 AM
Its very quiet around theses parts at the minute! Was anyone at either of the hurling games.  Good result for the seniors against westmeath.  But hwat is happening with south down? Seems like they can not get going at all this year? Are they missing many lads?

I'd have to say that the win in Mullingar was somewhat a welcome surprise as the team isn't any great shakes and it's the away games that Down need to get points in as I think they've Wexford and Offaly at home so the odds would be against them there. With away games against Kerry Laois and Carlow I'd think the hurlers will need at least another 2 wins to secure survival.

I see big Courtney is being tried in the forwards which is no harm as he can win his own ball, something a few of his colleagues up there aren't capable of especially with big Magic swaning about London living the high life.
Big Aaron has shifted a few more pounds over the winter and with a bit more time could make fullback his own even though he doesn't like playing there. Ruairi McGrattan did rightly in centre back against Antrim, an odd decision but was probably forced upon Jingo but it seems to have paid off to date. Ruairi is a neat enough hurler but loses the head the odd time, so if he can keep focused he might be fine. If Jingo can sort out the spine of the team then at least that's something.

DownFanatic

Anybody at the East Down meeting last night? Any confirmation as yet on how these Minor Leagues are going to operate?

amallon

To start a bit of debate here are my predictions for the 2009 end of league standings.  I think Rostrevor could do something this year, they got a good manager in Rafferty and I hear things are going well for them at the minute.  I'm taking a bit of a risk putting Saval out of the bottom 4 but they were hard enough beat last year.  I don't know much about the Point so for that reason I'm sticking them at the very bottom. 

Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Rostrevor
Burren
Longstone
Saval
Castlewellan
Loughinisland
Bryansford
Clonduff
Liatroim
Warrenpoint

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

DownFanatic

Quote from: amallon on March 03, 2009, 02:46:02 PM
To start a bit of debate here are my predictions for the 2009 end of league standings.  I think Rostrevor could do something this year, they got a good manager in Rafferty and I hear things are going well for them at the minute.  I'm taking a bit of a risk putting Saval out of the bottom 4 but they were hard enough beat last year.  I don't know much about the Point so for that reason I'm sticking them at the very bottom. 

Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Rostrevor
Burren
Longstone
Saval
Castlewellan
Loughinisland
Bryansford
Clonduff
Liatroim
Warrenpoint

From what I seen last year, I don't think Warrenpoint will be able to stick it out in the top flight. Liatroim are also nearing the end of their tenure in the top tier. Id say Saval will suffer from 2nd season syndrome and you may see them near the bottom.
I think McGrath will work wonders with Bryansford and Rostrevor may start to realise their potential. Burren and Longstone are the main pretenders to the Bridge in my opinion and they wil be up their along with Kilcoo.

too long ref

any word on who will get picked for the powerade team from last years championship.  when will this team be announced?

Mid Down Gael

Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Rostrevor
Burren
Longstone
Saval
Castlewellan
Loughinisland
Bryansford
Clonduff
Liatroim
Warrenpoint

You wont be far away with this prediction. Can see Saval and Castlewellan in bottom 4 instead of ford and clonduff.

charlie stubbs

wpoint beat wolfe tones by point on sunday there.we wouldnt be fancied do well this year struggle in div 2 armagh likely

amallon

Do Castlewellan not have a good home record?  They have beaten the Bridge down in Castlewellan for the last four or five years, maybe they just lift it against us.  Winning most of your home games would be enough the take at team out of the bottom four.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

bennydorano

Hear Cross 'stuffed' Down last night? Any witnesses

NedFlanders

Mayobridge
Kilcoo
Rostrevor
Burren
Longstone
Saval
Castlewellan
Loughinisland
Bryansford
Clonduff
Liatroim
Warrenpoint

Amallon, i don't agree with you often but i think your nearly spot on with your predictions:
Warrenpoint, from what Ive seen of them, dont have what it takes to hold down a divsion one position. Laitroim, have been getting the rub of the green the last few years but i think they will also go down this year. Clonduff will struggle, more than ever because they will probably lose A.Carr and J.Fegan for most of their crunch games ( if all goes well with Down). Bryansford, with Wee Pete at the helm could be the supprise package this year, abit like Án Ríocht 2 years ago, maybe not to win it, but to stay up with plenty to spare. Loughinisland were unlucky in the county final last year and if they keep the same mentality this year, they'll do OK.  Castlewellan do have a good home record and that should keep them up and safe. Saval with out Stephen Kearney and Danny Hughes could struggle. Longstone, Burren and Rostrevor all three clubs very alike, all will be challenging for the top spots, but wit Mayobridge and Kilcoo ore that likely having two of the tops spots already, it will be intrestin to see what develops there.

DownFanatic

St Malachy's, Castlewellan, won the Ulster U-14 McDevitt Cup today in Casement Park with a 3-08 to 1-13 win over Holy Trinity, Cookstown.
The game was tied with about 5 minutes to go when Dundrum's Conn Rooney popped up with the winning score  ;D

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on March 04, 2009, 04:26:24 PM
St Malachy's, Castlewellan, won the Ulster U-14 McDevitt Cup today in Casement Park with a 3-08 to 1-13 win over Holy Trinity, Cookstown.
The game was tied with about 5 minutes to go when Dundrum's Conn Rooney popped up with the winning score  ;D

Cracking final today, one of the best in years at this level. Well done to St. Malachys on a brilliant performance. Young Conn Rooney, Aidan Fulchur (Kilcoo) and Cathal Tumilty (Drumgath) where outstanding. Up St.Mals.

Shortso79

Quote from: bennydorano on March 04, 2009, 12:10:49 PM
Hear Cross 'stuffed' Down last night? Any witnesses

Was at the game last night.

Per my reckoning the final score was Down 1-11 Crossmaglen 0-18

Good run out for both teams

downredblack

Ross Carr will name his side to take on Cavan on Saturday night through the Down GAA Website www.downgaa.net at 4.30pm today (Friday).

The GAA

Quote from: downredblack on March 06, 2009, 11:10:30 AM
Ross Carr will name his side to take on Cavan on Saturday night through the Down GAA Website www.downgaa.net at 4.30pm today (Friday).

That's very exiting