Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Any Ballyholland south Scór Sinsear Down club of the year! tut tut Wobbler.  Here is some more Scór news for you

THREE NEW CUPS PRESENTED AT SOUTH DOWN SCÓR FINALS
Saval Sports and Leisure Centre was packed to capacity on Sunday evening past for the finals of the South Down GAA Senior Scór competitions.
The capacity audience enjoyed four hours of music, song, dance and novelty and a feature was the presentation to the South Down GAA Board of three new memorial cups for the best in Scór na nÓg, Senior Scór, and Best Overall in South Down.
The Ceili Dancing section was keenly contested between the teams from Ballyholland, Clonduff, Saval and Glasdrumman with Ballyholland, fielding all-Ireland some of the winners from 25 years previously, beating Saval into second spot.
In the Solo Singing competition, James Brennan from Rostrevor and Siobhan McGivern proceeded to the next round in that order and in Instrumental Music with Tullylish, Drumgath, Mayobridge and Rostrevor in contention, Tullylish emerged in first place with the 'Bridge second.  This competition was of a very high standard as well and could have gone either way because there would have been little to choose between the four teams on stage on the night.
Recitation was next with Declan McConaghy from Glenn and Paddy Duffy from Mayobridge getting the nod in that order over Clonduff's Sean Downey and Claire McCartan from Attical.
The Ballad Group competition is always eagerly awaited and this time it was no different.  Rostrevor, Glenn, Ballyholland and Glasdrumman were competing with the Rostrevor and Glenn coming out on top.
In Novelty Acts, Clonduff with a very Irish twist on the recent presidential election result in the US pipped it over an equally enjoyable Ballyholland act which dealt with the proliferation of rural bachelordom and the efforts of the local curate to get his flock married off, resulting in much confusion amongst the farmers concerned.
The Attical and Rostrevor Novelty acts dealt with marriage (again) and the making of illegal whiskey and probably in any other year would have had no trouble getting through to the next round.
Clonduff fielded two teams in the Set Dancing with their football representatives coming out on top.  Rostrevor were second and we also had wonderful dancing exhibitions from both Warrenpoint and the Clonduff Camogie representatives who must wait another year.
In the Quiz Mayobridge won through over Ballyholland and once again took possession of the Gerry Fitzmaurice Quiz trophy.  The other teams in the competition were Longstone and Glenn.
Following the Interval the audience was entertained by the Saul Scór na nÓg Ballad Group who represent Down and Ulster this Saturday 21st February at the All-Ireland Scór na nÓg finals in Athlone.
In conclusion, Chairman William Smith thanked the competitors, adjudicators and audiences for their support. He offered Best Wishes to the young Saul Ballad Group who take on the winners  from the other three provinces in Athlone next Saturday and promised them full support from south Down;  he thanked the families who presented the perpetual cups; The Sands family from Saval who presented a cup in memory of their son Cathal who was a Scór na nÓg recitation champion in 1992 and 1993; The McCormack family of Warrenpoint who presented a cup in memory of their mother Moya who dedicated her life to the promotion of Scór and Set Dancing in particular and to the Keenan Family from Mayobridge who presented a cup in memory of husband and father Peter who was South Down Scór chairman right up to the time of his death five years ago and who spent most of his life promoting Irish culture both inside and outside the GAA.
Bean a Ti was Ann Lennon from Saval and quiz master was John Devanney from Bredagh
Results:
Ceili Dancing:       Ballyholland and Saval
Solo Singing:      James Brennan Rostrevor, Siobhan McGivern Ballyholland
Instrumental Music:   Tullylish and Mayobridge
Recitation:      Declan McConaghy Glenn and Paddy Duffy Mayobridge
Ballad Groups:      Rostrevor and Glenn
Novelty acts:      Clonduff and Ballyholland
Set Dancing:      Clonduff and Rostrevor
Quiz:         Mayobridge and Ballyholland
Perpetual Trophies: Cathal Sands Memorial Cup for Best South Down Scór na nÓg club 2009; presented by Michael & Lily Sands: Winning club: St Michaels.
Moya McCormack Memorial Cup for Best South Down Scór Sinsear club 2009; presented by Feargal & Roisin McCormack: Winning club: Ballyholland.
Peter Keenan Memorial Cup for Best Overall South Down Scór club 2009; presented by Evelyn and Nichole Keenan: Winning club: Rostrevor.
The East Down Final takes place this Sunday in Dromara with the County final again in Saval on 1st March.

(By Gerry Quinn the Mayobridge one)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Square Ball on February 11, 2009, 07:13:51 PM
Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 11, 2009, 03:15:02 PM
Quote from: YogiBear on February 11, 2009, 10:57:50 AM
Heard yesterday that an ex-Antrim county player has joined Burren.  Apparently lives with his girlfriend down there now, wondering has anyone else heard this?

heard it all before, i suppose its mcgourty is it? yawwwwwwwn.

So you are saying there is no substance to this?

I would be saying that, yes. Because that story seems to come up every once and a while. Althoiugh given Burrens experience with transfer windows, you never know, i could be proved wrong one of these days..........

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Went to the u21 game there this evening. Was very impressed with the way they played their football, alot of slick passages of play and some good scores taken. In the forward line, young Conor Poland was very good, taking one excellent high catch, one that Kyle Coney would be proud of :P ..but for me, Conor Maginn was outstanding at number 10. The lad is a top class passer of the ball, and does his fair share of tackling and tracking back also. No wonder there has been so many good reports about him recently. And with the team not even at full strength yet, I would be confident that Down u21s can retain an Ulster title.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: WhoAreYaWhoAreYa! on February 16, 2009, 10:27:42 PM
Went to the u21 game there this evening. Was very impressed with the way they played their football, alot of slick passages of play and some good scores taken. In the forward line, young Conor Poland was very good, taking one excellent high catch, one that Kyle Coney would be proud of :P ..but for me, Conor Maginn was outstanding at number 10. The lad is a top class passer of the ball, and does his fair share of tackling and tracking back also. No wonder there has been so many good reports about him recently. And with the team not even at full strength yet, I would be confident that Down u21s can retain an Ulster title.

Was also at the game tonight and thought Down played well. wouldnt get carried away though as Tyrone where understrength while Down where only without Murney and ORielly. Thought Kyle Coney and Jason McAnula where great for Tyrone, never stopped working. Mark Digney and Timmy Hanna where Downs best defenders whle Peter Fitzpatrick played well in midfield. Up front Conor Poland, Maginn and Eamon Toner where outstanding while Paul McComiskey looked sharp when introduced.Ryan Boyle should be told to stop attacking, missed four easy scoring chances while Damian Turleys Passing went astray too often. If Down could improve their half back line they will be hard to beat. Down team and scorers where,

1 K Gordan
2 M Digney
3 N Higgins
4 R Boyle 0-1
5 J Murphy
6 C Coffey
7 T Hanna
8 P Fitzpatrick 0-1
9 D Turley
10 C Maginn 1-1
11 M Magee 0-2
12 C Magee
13 P Devlin 0-1
14 E Toner 0-3
15 C Poland 0-6.

Subs :

L Byrne for Coffey (first half)
P McComiskey for Devlin (half time)
R Mallon for Maginn (second half)
C Slevin for Conor Magee (second half)
C McGovern for Poland (second half).

spiritof91and94

T O Hare

I have seen Maginn a few times this year and i dont think he is our answer at number 11 !
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Brick Tamlin

who is the answer, with Martin Clarke elsewhere and Michael Walsh busy rubbin up Kevin Bell, who on the squad is goin to wear No 11 when it matters most. Would say mc kernan is best bet but he is almost too dynamic for steady ball-playing-playmaker type role and is best utilised elsewhere i think.

T O Hare

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on February 17, 2009, 12:08:58 PM
who is the answer, with Martin Clarke elsewhere and Michael Walsh busy rubbin up Kevin Bell, who on the squad is goin to wear No 11 when it matters most. Would say mc kernan is best bet but he is almost too dynamic for steady ball-playing-playmaker type role and is best utilised elsewhere i think.

I seen him play for Queens and on saturday evening and he hasn't impressed me but a few lads from the Bridge who have played with him say he is a good player... We need a settled full-back, Centre half back and centre half forward soon!!!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Brick Tamlin

Bring back Dan Mc Cartan for Full Back, Murphy at No6 and Aidan Carr at No11.

YogiBear

Sure hold on there brick we will bring ould James and Paddy Mo back as well

Mid Down Gael

Michael Walsh is the best number 11 in Down by a street. If he could stay injury free and Ross swallowed his pride then he should be given a few games in league. Benny plays far better with Walsh as playmaker. why have they won 8 out of ten Down titles? Maginn is a better wing forward but definatly not the answer at senior level yet, he is a young lad and should be given time. Aidan Carr is far better at wing back rather than havin his back to goals. Ross has tried Sexton, Murtagh, Aidan in his first year, McKernan and now Maginn among others at times and only McKernan has showed he is capable consistently to date.

Leo

The only players capable of playing no. 11 in the county are Walsh & Clarke (both out of favour).
In their absence I certainly wouldn't rule out Hugh Davey.
Carr, while he lacks a tackle, is better coming onto the ball from half back - I've alwyas like him as a player and in that position and he is now growng to full potentail there.
DMCC at full back is a NO. Too many fouls. If big Louis Sloan hasn't made it, stcik with Rooney.
In other roles. for me, McKernan is over-rated and Maginn needs a year more, but will be mighty.
Fierce tame altogether

gaahead2008

Hugh davey isnt our answer to chf, and considering the number of fellas who have been tried in that role its very obvious that the no-one on the panel is up to the job at present.
carr isnt suited to any of the central roles as he lacks the physical ability required.  connor maginn has had rave reviews but having watched him on saturday night, he seems more intersted in fighting than playing ball.
big jackie tried hard on saturday night, but the verbal personal abuse by fans was totally uncalled for!!

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on February 16, 2009, 11:02:11 PM

Was also at the game tonight and thought Down played well. wouldnt get carried away though as Tyrone where understrength while Down where only without Murney and ORielly. Thought Kyle Coney and Jason McAnula where great for Tyrone, never stopped working. Mark Digney and Timmy Hanna where Downs best defenders whle Peter Fitzpatrick played well in midfield. Up front Conor Poland, Maginn and Eamon Toner where outstanding while Paul McComiskey looked sharp when introduced.Ryan Boyle should be told to stop attacking, missed four easy scoring chances while Damian Turleys Passing went astray too often. If Down could improve their half back line they will be hard to beat. Down team and scorers where,

1 K Gordan
2 M Digney
3 N Higgins
4 R Boyle 0-1
5 J Murphy
6 C Coffey
7 T Hanna
8 P Fitzpatrick 0-1
9 D Turley
10 C Maginn 1-1
11 M Magee 0-2
12 C Magee
13 P Devlin 0-1
14 E Toner 0-3
15 C Poland 0-6.

Subs :

L Byrne for Coffey (first half)
P McComiskey for Devlin (half time)
R Mallon for Maginn (second half)
C Slevin for Conor Magee (second half)
C McGovern for Poland (second half).

Your probably right, a bit niave of me maybe. It is only early to be making such a statement. But I would say that the 2 oreillys would be back in that forward line.. And I would definatly agree with what you said about that corner back. There was one time especially, big magee was in a pile of room, simple pass for a goal, but he shot himself and missed. Someone should tell him what number he has on his back. Im all for attacking defenders ok, but he was surely taking the piss. I know for sure, if i was playing cf, marking him would be a nightmare!!

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on February 17, 2009, 09:16:19 AM
what was the score?

Down won by 5 maybe...

1.17 to 1.12... dont remember for sure. Left a wee bit early.