Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Lads its very easy to sit behind a computer screen and make cheap shots at certain players, Murtagh has been a great servant for Down since 1999 when he was a minor... and there is no one more dangerous or who can dictate a game in Down than Murtagh playing for Ballyholland....
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

thegael

Now please wise up milkman , the young fella Eoin McCartan wouldn't survive on McMenamin , Gourley , or the Mc Mahons they would eat him up and spit him out.
He wouldn't survive out there in the red heat of inter- county championship and remember back to Ballybofey against Donegal in the championship where his lack of  workrate lead to Donegal's goal and subsequent defeat for Down.
The gael doesnt want to be harsh on the young fella but facts are facts as the gael says he would be useful around the panel for squad games etc or the odd run out.

Ronan Murtagh on the other hand is a special type of player strong fit and great at taking teams on we need him back asap.
The big talking point has to be Michael Walsh we need him on our team.Has the mananagement got a grudge against him?The signs are that this management has not  got man management skills but hey if they want to organise a knees up or a bonding weekend well they would be all ireland champions!More emphasis put on drinking etc which really is worrying hopefully these two young managers  will learn the errors of their ways - ah but sadly bars are the place they think Down can win All-Irelands , instead of running around trying to raise cash for a bonding weekend get Micky Walsh back in the fold.

the gael takes no prisoners!

bridgegael

Quote from: T O Hare on January 03, 2009, 04:16:22 AM
Lads its very easy to sit behind a computer screen and make cheap shots at certain players, Murtagh has been a great servant for Down since 1999 when he was a minor... and there is no one more dangerous or who can dictate a game in Down than Murtagh playing for Ballyholland....

totally agree T.  people here think its alright to personally insult players using there anonymity to do so. and for someone to suggest that ronan murtagh plays with 'wing mirrors' has obviously never seen him play!!

"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Our Nail Loney

Just got a text, 8-7 to St Marys half time...

Down team: McAllister, Rafferty, McKernan, Davey, Garvey, Sloan, Boyle, Ireland, Lynch, Kearney, Hughes, Fegan, Sexton, M Magee, C Magee

Interesting line up there if it is the way I received the text, McKernan at full back, Hugh Davey in the corner, Boyle half back... Good to see Garvey getting a run out.

Leo

Down's second hanlf improvement came when the negative across field play (evidenced by Boyle and others) was replaced with strong delivery to teh forwards who then had a field day against a poor St Mary's defence.

Rafferty & Davey surprised me with good contributions, Lynch was abysmal and Hughes both good and bad. Saw enough of Sloan to say he should be given an extended run - clearly not fit by county standards but this will improve.

Always liked Murtagh but have come to the view that there is no future for the team with players like him who just are not smart enough at this level.
Fierce tame altogether

the milkman

Quote from: Leo on January 04, 2009, 09:15:15 PM
Down's second hanlf improvement came when the negative across field play (evidenced by Boyle and others) was replaced with strong delivery to teh forwards who then had a field day against a poor St Mary's defence.

Rafferty & Davey surprised me with good contributions, Lynch was abysmal and Hughes both good and bad. Saw enough of Sloan to say he should be given an extended run - clearly not fit by county standards but this will improve.

Always liked Murtagh but have come to the view that there is no future for the team with players like him who just are not smart enough at this level.

Yeah i thought Davey looked good, he hit some good passes while under pressure!  sloan, m magee looked good and should improve when they are fully fit. big cathal magee caught a few great catches and tooks his goals well.

less said about big jack the better

thegael

FAO of t'o hare amallon bridgegael etc

The gael is quite interested in the feeling around the bridge on the absence of Micky Walsh from the panel.

The gael is also interested to know is the culture of drinking and late nite activity ceased for prominent players , players who should be role models , I would hope  that 2009 might be the year that the bridge puts this behind them.The gael would also be keen to know do the bridge players have any code of conduct about how they conduct themselves both on and off the field even in terms of perception of their behaviour.

gorm agus bui

Quote from: thegael on January 04, 2009, 09:33:52 PM

The gael is quite interested in the feeling around the bridge on the absence of Micky Walsh from the panel.

The gael is also interested to know is the culture of drinking and late nite activity ceased for prominent players , players who should be role models , I would hope  that 2009 might be the year that the bridge puts this behind them.The gael would also be keen to know do the bridge players have any code of conduct about how they conduct themselves both on and off the field even in terms of perception of their behaviour.

FAO A Mallon or Bridgegael, are you seriously expected to answer a clown like him??

gaahead2008

the gael takes no prisoners - is right!!

the gael must be referring to an incident involving Coulter at a nightclub- which is a far away from the field and shouldnt be up for discussion on this gaa board!

I dont see how anyone else from mayobridge can be held responsible for the conduct of anyone from within their parish - if it was joe bloggs there wouldnt be a word of it!!

guevara

Boys some of us seem to be having a laugh!
Hug Davey was run into the ground by McGoldrick (6) when he was on him. It was only when Boyle went onto him Down seemed to force him to play in his own half.

Big Jackie takes some amount of crap from supposed supporters in the stands. He is a scapegoat. He makes a mistake uproar. Hughes or Sexton messes up nothing. I thought Jack wasn't best player on field but without him in midfield especially in 1st half we would've got cleaned out. Joe Ireland was non existent.

Cathal Magee took his goals well but looks very slow and if we are hoping to launch balls in the square come the Championship we are in trouble.
Big Michael Magee done well, thought he kicked smart point & looks big lump of lad who has potential.

But St Marys were very poor started like a house on fire & shouldve went in at the break possibly 6 or 7 up. Their legs went and the goals made game look like thumping.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Pangurban

the gael must be referring to an incident involving Coulter at a nightclub- which is a far away from the field and shouldnt be up for discussion on this gaa board!

As Coulter is an Employee of the Down G.A.A., it is a fit topic of discussion on a G.A.A. board. I know nothing of the incident you refer too, and am passing no judgement, but too say it should not be discussed is patent nonsense

5 Sams

So the Milkman, GAAHEAD 2008 and Open Yer Eyes Man have got pissed off with Hoganstand.com and have arrived on the board in the past 5 minutes making definitive statements about one of Down's most consistent performers over the last 7 or 8 years.....dont forget that Down have been pure dung over that period and he was one of the few that has performed consistently then. Murtagh will be back in a month...the lad has been knocking his pan in for Down over the last 10 years to the detriment of his social life, family life and career...he has a good good business going and is in the middle of making it even better ....so butt out and leave him alone....he'll be starting against Fermanagh in May...mark my words.
The Aristocrat Years

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: 5 Sams on January 04, 2009, 11:48:34 PM
So the Milkman, GAAHEAD 2008 and Open Yer Eyes Man have got pissed off with Hoganstand.com and have arrived on the board in the past 5 minutes making definitive statements about one of Down's most consistent performers over the last 7 or 8 years.....dont forget that Down have been pure dung over that period and he was one of the few that has performed consistently then. Murtagh will be back in a month...the lad has been knocking his pan in for Down over the last 10 years to the detriment of his social life, family life and career...he has a good good business going and is in the middle of making it even better ....so butt out and leave him alone....he'll be starting against Fermanagh in May...mark my words.

What exactly did I say that has got you so defensive?  He was crap last year and could have been taken off in a number of games - how can you deny this?  I believe he is over rated like some other Down players but as you say we have been 'dung' over the last few years and its time other players get a chance.  They can do no worse.

Answer me this - according to you 'he has been knocking his pan in for Down over the last 10 years to the detriment of his social life, family life and career.'  Now I cant comment on his family life but how has he managed to get' a good good business going' if playing for Down has had such a detrimental effect on his work - a wee bit of a contradiction there.

And playing for Down has also had a detrimental effect on his social life as well  :D - since he is a well known member of the Down spice boys club, I fail to see any evidence for this.   :-\

T O Hare

We won the senior, minor and reserve championships by partying hard... we dont train, we just drink all week and turn up on matchdays, sure football in Down is crap  and so easy, is it true other clubs train three times a week!!! Use our model!!!!! ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Mourne Rover

5 Sams is quite right to dismiss the personal abuse against players which some posters offer, but Murtagh has to be open to criticism on the basis of his displays in a Down jersey over the last couple of years. He started all six championship matches in our forward line last summer, and, apart from Offaly, which was little more than a training run, he managed two points in the other five games. He has ability and pace, but has not used it to damage our opposition for some time. A break is probably the answer, so good luck to him if he returns a better player. If he does not improve substantially on his 208 form, there is not much point in starting him against Fermanagh.