Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on December 01, 2008, 06:13:51 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 30, 2008, 07:25:10 PM
id beg to differ mainly due to the fact that This time last year Wpt were in a bottom 4 playoff and nearly got relegated, only just survived, then lost the spine of their team for one reason or another and now find themselves 12 months down the line as Div2 Champions and getting promoted, nobody give them a chance this season and probably not today so fair dues i say. Quite a remarkable turnaround i think.id wager more that they will celebrate alot more tonight than they did last week,also considering the fact that they rarely lift any silverware.

as for Bryansford id still say they will be very disappointed with the end to their season and judging by reports from inside the club all is not well in Newcastle.

Bryansford are promoted thats what they wanted but we lost our management team yesterday after the game, this is unfortunate but Burnsey has given us 7 years as trainer and manager and we thank him for that - we will have a look at it this week and an appointment will be made soon.
But our club is bigger than any one player.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes, Spirit?

I posted a question a while back about a fall out in Bryansford which resulted in a few poor results.  There was very little response.  Maybe you could enlighten us.

Must have been disappointing yesterday.  For a team to be so dominating and beat many team with such ease yet not win the leagur must rank as underachievement.  Bryansford have been head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in Division 2 but were just lacking something yesterday.  Maybe were a little complacent?

spiritof91and94

No sour grapes at all fair play to warrenpoint.
Getting back up was our aim and we acheived that - last time we came up was in 2003 and what happened? We won a SFC!!!!
Ironic when everyone is talking leagues last year we were relegated with 21 points this year liatroim stayed up with 12!! FFS.

Bacon

The proposal is a good one. No doubt about it. Hopefully delegates to convention will rise above the petty self-interest and vote for the general good. In some cases it will be turkeys voting for Christmas but that's just the way democracy works.

Hurling Convention is tomorrow night in Castlewellan. An awfull waste of an evening for anyone who attends.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on December 01, 2008, 07:46:13 PM
Quote from: spiritof91and94 on December 01, 2008, 06:13:51 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 30, 2008, 07:25:10 PM
id beg to differ mainly due to the fact that This time last year Wpt were in a bottom 4 playoff and nearly got relegated, only just survived, then lost the spine of their team for one reason or another and now find themselves 12 months down the line as Div2 Champions and getting promoted, nobody give them a chance this season and probably not today so fair dues i say. Quite a remarkable turnaround i think.id wager more that they will celebrate alot more tonight than they did last week,also considering the fact that they rarely lift any silverware.

as for Bryansford id still say they will be very disappointed with the end to their season and judging by reports from inside the club all is not well in Newcastle.

Bryansford are promoted thats what they wanted but we lost our management team yesterday after the game, this is unfortunate but Burnsey has given us 7 years as trainer and manager and we thank him for that - we will have a look at it this week and an appointment will be made soon.
But our club is bigger than any one player.

Sounds like a case of sour grapes, Spirit?

I posted a question a while back about a fall out in Bryansford which resulted in a few poor results.  There was very little response.  Maybe you could enlighten us.

Must have been disappointing yesterday.  For a team to be so dominating and beat many team with such ease yet not win the leagur must rank as underachievement.  Bryansford have been head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in Division 2 but were just lacking something yesterday.  Maybe were a little complacent?

The sour grapes were in relation to Eamon Burns.

DaddyLongLegs

How honest are Clubs in naming their top 13? I dont know if there is some form of check but in the past it was name as many eligible players who you knew wouldnt play football anyway thereby leaving the vast majority of your real senior team able to play reserves. Is there a vetting process or might graves still need to be opened to get the top 13 on the field?

thewobbler

I've just has a look through the South Down named 13 lists for this year and most of them aren't far off the mark. Pretty much every team has 10+ first team starters on their list. Although pretty much every team has one very debatable entry too.

I could pint fingers at a couple of clubs, but that'd be nasty.

To be honest, I'd say most first team managers don't bother telling their secretaries who to put on it and who not to, meaning it's left to the judgement of the secretary - which might not always be up to date.

DaddyLongLegs

Quote from: thewobbler on December 01, 2008, 09:40:51 PM
I've just has a look through the South Down named 13 lists for this year and most of them aren't far off the mark.

As a matter of interest, where did you see the lists? Are these online?

thewobbler

I look after our reserves, so get a copy off our secretary each year.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: thewobbler on December 01, 2008, 09:40:51 PM
I've just has a look through the South Down named 13 lists for this year and most of them aren't far off the mark. Pretty much every team has 10+ first team starters on their list. Although pretty much every team has one very debatable entry too.

I could pint fingers at a couple of clubs, but that'd be nasty.

To be honest, I'd say most first team managers don't bother telling their secretaries who to put on it and who not to, meaning it's left to the judgement of the secretary - which might not always be up to date.

You mean to tell me that clubs don't try to get away with at least one or two men who have quit a year or two back or have notion of coming back. 

Every club has a few men like this.

Bacon

Every club is sent a copy of the list and the right to object to anyone on it. I think there's usually a few objections.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

passedit

Quote from: DownFanatic on December 01, 2008, 01:47:59 PM
The ambiguity I was referring to on the language of the report centres around the starred system and the introduction of a PRFL team.
Firstly, the report doesn't explicitly state that the starred system will affect all Divisions. Depending on your interpretation, I took it that the starred system would only affect Divisions 3 and 4.
Secondly, if the proposals come to fruition this will be the lineup of  the Divisions:

1 - Mayobridge, Kilcoo, Rostrevor, Castlwellan, Burren, Clonduff, Loughinisland, Longstone, Saval and Liatroim
2 - An Riocht, Ballyholland, Bryansford, Annaclone, Warrenpoint, Banbridge, Shamrocks, Ballymartin, Darragh Cross, Atticall
3 - Tullylish, Downpatrick, Kilclief, Dundrum, Glasdrumman, Ardglass, Bredagh, Carryduff, Drumgath, Drumaness, Saul, St Pauls
4 - Glenn, Teconnaught, Bosco, St Michaels, Mitchels, St Johns, Aghaderg, Dromara, Bright, Ballykinlar, Aughlisnafin, Mayobridge II's

Now, what happens if Mayobridge II's win Division 4. We know they cannot be promoted so does this mean that only one other team from Div 4 will get promoted or will two teams go up?

Makes a fair bit of sense that, even Mayobridge 2nds might even work as the first team squad would be in action elsewhere (making it in essence a 2nd/3rd team).

My only proviso, if they want to bring it in in 2009, would be that the 'promoted' sides from this year should get a shot at a one off playoff with the bottom two in the revised leagues (could be done a couple of weeks before the start of the regular season). Sorta like

Saval v Bryansford
Liatroim v Warrenpoint
Darragh v Carryduff
Attical v Glasdrumman
Saul v Dromara
St Pauls v Aghaderg
Don't Panic

Square Ball

East Down Under 20 (2008 Competition)
Date Sunday 7th  December Time 2:00pm            
Carryduff      v      Drumaness   G Brannigan      
Dun Ghláis      v      Bryansford   A Grant      
      v            

Bredagh      v      CastlewellanP Brownlee      
St. Mary's      v      Kilcoo   M Lynch      
Loughinisland      v      Bye      

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

T O Hare

lads what is your views on the Down club stars in the Irish news.. some strange decisions, Liam Coulter never conceded a goal in the championship and never got picked, Noel Sexton was the highest scorer (by a mile) and never got an award... conor garvey was picked out of position!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Our Nail Loney

can you post the team tom?? off work today and won't get a paper till later...

T O Hare

1. Kieran Gordan- Louginisland
2.Gavin Barry-  Mayobridge
3. Aidan Brannigan -Kilcoo
4. Declan Burns - St johns
5. Chris mc Govern -Burren
6. Joe Doran-Loughinisland
7. Micheal Lively- Mayobridge
8. Conor Garvey- Mayobridge
9. Alan Molloy - Loughinisland POTC
10.Owen Pyers -Annaclone
11. Kevin Mc Kernan- Burren
12. Benny Coulter
13. Gerard McNulty- St Johns
14. Cathal Magee- Mayobridge
15. Adrain Barry- Mayobridge

My Gripes with this team
Liam Coulter never conceded a goal
Last i seen of Aidan Brannigan was in championship was bing sent of for hitting Eion Mc Carten who destroyed him
Conor Garvey played defence during the championship
Noel Sexton was the top scorer by a mile
Eoin Mc Carten had a great year and was the best full forward of the year

Do i sound biased???? :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"