Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downredblack

Gavin Barry has great heart and never gives up but he is too small for inter county . Remember POR played him on Mattie Ford one day in Newcastle for 20 mins . So Grant and Barry aren't on it  who is ?

spiritof91and94

T O Hare why have you changed your id?
You arent the great T O Hare are you or just a wannabe?
Conor Gribben got the axe as well but Toner and Carville made the cut from Bryansford - very bizarre choices.
Why is the panel such a secret when they trained in Newcastle last night?

Brick Tamlin

In - Kevin Mc Kiernan , Brian & Neill Sweeney , Colm Murtagh, John Boyle

Out - Paudie Matthews , Brendan Grant, Conor Gribben , Mc Ardle (Castlewellan)

buglebhoy

Can't express my disappointment anymore at Ross dropping Brendan Grant from the Down panel! the man is a consistent performer with a wealth of county experience. at least he can get a break from football for a while.... can see ross knocking at the door again in the near future when he realises he hasnt got 3 or more better defenders than brendan grant.

thewobbler

If Brick's sources are correct and the Sweeney boys are in, well I'll be a bit surprised. I have to put my hands up and say I've never seen the lads play, but I find it inconceivable that a team with two county standard players (plus Declan Lavery) could be languishing in Division IV. Bright managed to find their way out last season (and stay out of it this season) on the back of getting two first division players, so county players should walk it.

Re Grant, you'd have to look long and hard in Down football to find 6 defenders capable of keeping him out of the team, let alone another 6 capable of forcing him out of the panel.

Last point for now - one of the biggest problems during Paddy O'Rourke's tenure was a lack of communication with the fans. Paddy never named his team early, his players never spoke to the press, and he rarely did either. There was a basic lack of desire to keep the fans informed and involved and personally I reckon this was one of the key factors in the apathy towards the Down side in recent years. The lack of PR, positive or otherwise, was simply dreadful (and trust me, this wasn't the PRO's fault).

Well unfortunately it looks like Ross and co. have no desire to learn from this mistake, because if anything communications, PR, etc., have only got worse this year. There was not one press release to the papers or even a memo the clubs regarding the players who had trials in December and January, despite this representing a wonderful publicity opportunity for the new management. And now, with just a couple of days to go to the first National League game, not only have we not got a starting team, we have no clue about the panel bar the rumours that are slipping out through the clubs. As with every Gael in County Down, I want to know what is happening with my county team,  and this really isn't good enough.

Pangurban

Well said Wobbler, you speak for every Down Fan. Grant decision requires some explanation

superblues

it is a very strange decision as said before if he was on the border line why not play him in the MC Kenna cup think there is more to this than meets the eye hope its not a decision that comes back to haunt Ross

passedit

QuoteIf Brick's sources are correct and the Sweeney boys are in, well I'll be a bit surprised. I have to put my hands up and say I've never seen the lads play, but I find it inconceivable that a team with two county standard players (plus Declan Lavery) could be languishing in Division IV. Bright managed to find their way out last season (and stay out of it this season) on the back of getting two first division players, so county players should walk it.

Wobbler,apart from the boys you named St Micks have maybe another couple of decent footballers, the rest are pretty crap which is understandable given their small pick. Despite that, the year Bright went up St Michaels were walking away with the division before their points were frozen after a row in dundrum. Last year St Micks suffered a bit of a hangover from the suspension and Declan Laverty spent the summer in Boston but they still managed to beat St Pauls(who went up) twice and draw with Bredagh. The two lads are decent footballers who are certainly big enough and skilful enough to play county football. Whether they have the mobility necessary remains to be seen, but a spell training with the county will soon establish this.
Don't Panic

5 Sams

Down Football Leagues start on Friday 13th April.
The Hurlers start bating lumps out of each other on Tuesday the 10th.
The Aristocrat Years

Brick Tamlin

Its all gossip and hearsay!!!!! :D :D

seems to be that Ross has kept a panel of about 40 odd which in itself is just baffling.
more and more names keep emergin of who has made it, it seems that more have made it than not. Im pretty sure that Sweeneys have made it, and the others i mentioned. It looks like he goin to completely re-build a new team or panel starting from scratch - personally i think that no-one should be untouchable as regards the chop, no matter who they are. I do find it hard to disagree that Grant isnt one of the best defenders about. Either way its a bold move (and i disagree with it) but i still support the managements decisions (if that isnt contradictory)and am looking forward to the start of the league with anticipation. Does anyone know that all the rested "regulars" were actually given rests or did they request them.

never a dull moment eh.

No1

Down Football Leagues start on Friday 13th April.
The Hurlers start bating lumps out of each other on Tuesday the 10th.

5 Sams, is there a master fixture list out yet?

Lecale2

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Uladh

Was ross's son aiden on the down panel last year?

blowinharp

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on February 02, 2007, 09:58:51 AM
Its all gossip and hearsay!!!!! :D :D

seems to be that Ross has kept a panel of about 40 odd which in itself is just baffling.
more and more names keep emergin of who has made it, it seems that more have made it than not. Im pretty sure that Sweeneys have made it, and the others i mentioned. It looks like he goin to completely re-build a new team or panel starting from scratch - personally i think that no-one should be untouchable as regards the chop, no matter who they are. I do find it hard to disagree that Grant isnt one of the best defenders about. Either way its a bold move (and i disagree with it) but i still support the managements decisions (if that isnt contradictory)and am looking forward to the start of the league with anticipation. Does anyone know that all the rested "regulars" were actually given rests or did they request them.
never a dull moment eh.

the 'regulars' as u describe them did not request the rest, they were given to them, but they still had to do some form of training twice a week. :)