Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

If my memory serves me right St Johns' victory is only the second any Down club has had in the Ulster JFC in the past 5 years. The only other year I remember a Down team winning was Bredagh winning their Quarter Final game in 2006.

milltown row

Good win and they have trained hard all year, just deserts

Shortso79

St Johns were winning 2-10 to 0-3 at one stage.

Mourne Rover

I think Down Fanatic is right about our dreadful record in the Ulster JFC, while wins by Down clubs in the IFC are equally rare. In the SFC, Mayobridge beat Glenties in the first round of 2005 and have not had a victory since.

It has been over 20 years since our last Ulster senior club title, while we have made no impact since the introduction of the intermediate and junior grades either.  The hard evidence is that club football standards in Down are among the worst in the province.

It's been raised before, but people who come into Down from other counties to either play or manage usually reckon that frees are given far too easily here. No one wants to see injuries take place, but we have to be able to cope with tight marking and legitimate physical challenges.

All this filters through to our county sides as well. It is not a question of players lacking commitment, but many of them expect frees in circumstances in which they will simply not be given outside our own county.

DownFanatic

Teconnaught and Bosco drew 0-10 apeice in Castlewellan today in a Division 3 relegation playoff. That leaves Bosco on 3 points, Teconnaught on 1 and St Michaels on 0. Effectively, Teconnaught v St Michaels next week is a pointless game for the Magheralin men. Win, Lose or draw they are down.

AnDunYeGo

Downfanatic surely if st michaels beat teconnaught then they'll have 2 points and and teconnaught will have 1, therefore teconnaught would go down??? since mitchels are automatically relegated.
or is there 3 teams goin down this year cause of the drumgath thing last year??

Square Ball

Quote from: AnDunYeGo on November 01, 2008, 07:06:23 PM
Downfanatic surely if st michaels beat teconnaught then they'll have 2 points and and teconnaught will have 1, therefore teconnaught would go down??? since mitchels are automatically relegated.
or is there 3 teams goin down this year cause of the drumgath thing last year??
Correct AnDunYeGo, three face the drop
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Mourne Rover

Any result from the Down minor hurling B final today ?

Aristotle Flynn

I'm sure 3 go down. Mitchel's are gone. Teconnaght & Kilwarlin will follow them. Bosco have all to play for & should be safe.

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 01, 2008, 09:43:03 PM

Heard Liatroim beat Bredagh by 2 pts in a rough game.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Bitta-Banter

Division 3 Promotion Play-off at Darragh Cross
Carryduff 1-8 Bredagh 0-10

Mourne Rover

Carryduff had John Lavery, the former county player, sent off after two minutes, but were the more composed side when the pressure was on. Their keeper, Declan Alder, came up to put over a 45 in the closing stages, and the Down management could do worse than have a look at him.

Glasdrumman beat Ardglass by about nine points, and so are defininitely promoted but not yet as champions. If they beat Carryduff next week, and Ardglass beat Bredagh, who have nothing to play for, Carrryduff and Ardgass will be level on three points each and another play-off will be required.

DownFanatic

Annaclone (Down) beat MacCumhaills (Donegal by 2 in the Ulster IFC

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on November 01, 2008, 09:44:43 PM
I'm sure 3 go down. Mitchel's are gone. Teconnaght & Kilwarlin will follow them. Bosco have all to play for & should be safe.

liatroim manager is said to have punched and bust the nose of a bredagh player
The Boys in Red and Black are back

bredaghgael86

Quote from: dodgy umpire on November 03, 2008, 01:16:19 AM
Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on November 01, 2008, 09:44:43 PM

liatroim manager is said to have punched and bust the nose of a bredagh player

Okay, let me start by saying that i in no way begrudge the minor hurlers from liatroim their victory on saturday.  They were by far the better team.  However, that being said the tactics they employed and their petulent, nasty and dangerous behaviour was an absolute disgrace.  The bredagh team were no angels, as no team ever is, but the consistent pulling, both early and late was an obvious tactic to intimidate and hurt the more prominent bredagh players.  Their first reaction when even remotely challenged was to fight straight away.  This beahviour is clearly condoned by the management, one of which was sent out of the pitch within the 1st 5mins.  He came 20yards onto the pitch to talk to one of his players, our number 5 followed his man as he is well entitled to, only to be pushed and punched by the manager.  What sort of man would do sucha thing, hitting a minor trying to play the game.  The manager then cam over to the fence where he swung a punch at one of our supporters, tried to climb over the fence to start a row and then offered him a fight in the car park.  This man is meant to be setting an example to the younb kids he is in charge of.  Am i wrong? is this type of behaviour acceptible? this fella should never be anywere near any team, never mind youth teams.

Moving onto the officials.  I would never criticise officials normally but i cant not. The linesman on the bredagh side in the 1st half was walking the line looking at his fone and texting while the match was in progress.  To me this is disgusting.  For an official to give these players, from both teams such little respect for their final is something i feel the county board should address.  The reason the game was so bad tempered was largely due to the fact the referee was incompetent.  He was physically incapable of keeping up with the play, giving decisions through guess work more than anything else because he was so far away.

Anyway rant over, feel a bit better. ;D

corn02

Lads promotion playy-offs. What way does it work? I thought it was two semis and a final , does everyone play each other?