Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

Benny did make a statement after last years final test that he wouldn't be playing again, but that was in the heat of the moment and he retracted it a week later.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Dulaney

Thought Benny's statement was more or less that he wouldn't be back given the state of the international rules series at that time and the kicking/beating matches on the field!!! u couldn't blame him for sayin he was finished with it either (the game was descending into somethin more like Bare knuckle Boxing), its gonna be a make or break year for the the whole series, if there is the same level of violence even with this new structure it's gonna be difficult to argue for its continuation....tho i hope this isn't the case for it provides boys with a rare opportunity to represent their country!! (plus the streakers are a rare spectacle ;))

fred the red

Was it a lad from Kilcoo who streaked the time Ireland played Australia in Galway?

amallon

Nah it was a nutter from the Bridge. Spent the best part of the night in the slammer for it. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Old Bill

one of many from that part of the country.. aidan

milltown row

so lads, how will the game go against Naomh Gall? is the bridge a better team since we last met at the marshes or worse? i'm expecting a real close game. Antrim teams would be underdogs in all club championships considering antrims standing within Ulster.

do the bridge believe they are owed a Ulster having been there twice and lost?

stiffler

Quote from: milltown row on October 02, 2008, 09:21:46 PM
so lads, how will the game go against Naomh Gall? is the bridge a better team since we last met at the marshes or worse? i'm expecting a real close game. Antrim teams would be underdogs in all club championships considering antrims standing within Ulster.

Galls by 3.

Wee James will have his lads rightly pumped up for this 1!
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

umpire

1980 Down Minor football final

Half - time; Mayobridge 0.3 Bryansford 1.0
Full - time; Mayobridge 0.7 Bryansford 1.1
Mayobridge team.

Sean Rooney;
Michael Magee, Colin Lively, Jimmy Coulter;
Raymond Butterfield, John Goss, Paul Butterfield;
Eamon O'Hanlon (captain), Michael Linden 0.6;
Michael Lively, John Gorman, Tony Burns;
Eamon O'Hare, Sean Poland 0.1, Peter Linden.
Manager ????

Bryansford team;

Mark Wellls;
Stephen Poland, Jerome Murray, James Rooney;
Mark Walsh, Eamon Burns, Joe Rice;
Alfie Hanna (captain), Liam Poland;
Aidan Brannigan, Brian Walsh, Eamon Corrigan;
Francis McKibben 0.1, John Firzpatrick, Francis Rooney 1.0;

Sub used; John Walsh for Francis Rooney
Manager Sean Caughey

western exile

I think that is a silly analogy. St. Galls are one of the best clubs in Ulster and Mayobridge have a big task on their hands.

5 Sams

Quote from: umpire on October 02, 2008, 11:28:32 PM

Mayobridge team.

Sean Rooney;
Manager ????

Bryansford team;

Mark Wellls;

Manager Sean Caughey

Jaysus lads thats some blast from the past....Them boys would all be my run. Peter Linden was as good a player as I ever came up against ....as was Gorman and Ramy Butterfield. Mickey Lively was a hurler too in his time...is that his son playing now?

M Linden 6 points from midfield says it all...great memories lads although maybe not for most minor teams at the time.
The Aristocrat Years

spiritof91and94

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 03, 2008, 12:02:06 AM
Quote from: umpire on October 02, 2008, 11:28:32 PM

Mayobridge team.

Sean Rooney;
Manager ????

Bryansford team;

Mark Wellls;

Manager Sean Caughey

Jaysus lads thats some blast from the past....Them boys would all be my run. Peter Linden was as good a player as I ever came up against ....as was Gorman and Ramy Butterfield. Mickey Lively was a hurler too in his time...is that his son playing now?

M Linden 6 points from midfield says it all...great memories lads although maybe not for most minor teams at the time.

A blast alright. Jerome Murray is assistant to our minor manager Francie McKibben and Eamonn is assisted by Aiden Brannigan at senior level. Mark Wells has sons in underage.Thats the only affiliation that team has at present with the club.

T O Hare

Quote from: stiffler on October 02, 2008, 10:55:16 PM

Galls by 3.

Wee James will have his lads rightly pumped up for this 1!

Manager- Tom O'Hare and James Gallager  :) The start of the glory years, some great players for the Bridge!!!!

Good to see A Mallon making the Gaelic life, wee James is after him!!!!!
Nice bit from Kevin Mc Gourty of Mickey The Leg-end !!!!!

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

lfdown2

jaysus but thon mcgourty loves down!!

Colonel Cool

Quote from: johnneycool on October 02, 2008, 10:54:06 AM
Quote from: Bacon on October 02, 2008, 08:33:35 AM
Quote from: Lecale2 on October 01, 2008, 10:17:24 AM
Hurling final on Sunday, Portaferry v Ballygalget. Should be a good game.
There's little between the 2 team. Ballygalget beat them in the league a few weeks ago and in the SHC last year but I would still make Portaferry slight favorites. They had a tough semi final with Ballycran whereas the Galgets had a virtual walk over v South Down. Paul Braniff is back and when he plays well so does Portaferry. No quarter will be given or expected in Ballycran and I expect Portaferry to win by 3pts.

Without Magic Portaferry will eat them. If they can stay injury free they might even give Ulster a rattle (for once!).

I don't see us being 'eaten' by Portaferry and if Hugh clamps down on Dules diving big Aaron can keep him quiet enough in the closer confines of Ballycran provided the Ports don't try and suck our two corner backs up the field and they follow them. Wee Liam should be left in to cover around the house. The Ports don't have a whole lot left in the scoring stakes and I'd be more worried about Andy and Cougie in midfield than any of their other scoring threat. A lot will depend on how Gabriel Clarke gets on with BA. If Gabs gets a good start he usually has a stormer, but if BA gets on top Gabs falls away badly as he's no plan B after the tippy tappy stuff fails.
As I've said before we'll need at least parity in midfield to give the forwards enough ball to win the game, something Ballycran managed in spurts by fast early ground hurling to by pass the Ports half back line and trouble a dodgy Portaferry fullbackline. Our half forwards are the line we need to see most improvement out of as Gary Flynn and Stevie Clarke can become non-entities in the game far too easy. They need to start winning their own ball and taking scores now that Magic is gone. I think the ports have a decision to make in who picks up Dingy, as young O'Prey may be a bit green for his wiles. Historically Zelda has done well on Dingy but he's not the same hurler now that he was and may be the man to lose out for Murph's return. I'd expect Paddy Rat to get the nod ahead of Jonny Boon as we need to try exploit any lack of pace in the ports defence but he'll need to be a bit braver than normal.

The Ports will be favourites but I don't see them as world beaters unlike Deccy Bacon and our lads would need to step it up a gear but its not beyond them plus they'll be well reminded of their limp perfomance last year against Ballycran so giving up is not an option.

Good analsys JC. I'd make a couple of comments. Portaferry showed a fair degree of mental strenght against us in the semi. I hear what you're saying but I think they are over that issue now. In previous years they would have crumbled when we had them on the rack but this year they didn't.

I agree with you and Bacon on the lack of strenght in dept and for that reason neither will trouble Ruiri Ogs or Kevin Lynch's. I'm looking forward to a great game and I'd expect Ports to win by 2 but I certainly wouldn't recommend putting any money on it. Is Fox offering odds?
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

milltown row

Quote from: western exile on October 02, 2008, 11:31:48 PM

I think that is a silly analogy. St. Galls are one of the best clubs in Ulster and Mayobridge have a big task on their hands.

i'm messing with ya, no doubt St Galls will go in on an even par away from home, we've been to three ulster finals and only one one, the bridge have been unlucky in their two appearances. near enough the same teams/panels so both very hungry. should be a good game