Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Dupe

Quote from: Whitehair on September 18, 2008, 11:27:03 AM
QuoteAs you can see from the above, we basically have brought through all the main players from those championship teams with the exception of 3 (1 of whom has transferred).

Would they be two out of; Patrick Mc Greevy, Collie Clerkin & Ryan Watt? The 3 mentioned would be some of the most naturally gifted that were coming through on those teams IMO.

Thought i had mentioned Collie Clerkin.  Currently our top scorer this year for the seniors.  He is doing well.

Watts broke his arm about 3 months ago and Patrick McGreevy only played about 2 years of football after getting a serious injury when he was 16.  He could have been a good one only for that.

Dulaney

Point taken Super dupe, my comment may have been a bit over zealous. i suppose what i should have said is that Rostrevor have difficulty developing their under age talent into senior players. yes they had 7 players on the minor team in 2005, yet they only had 1 as far as i know on the u-21 panel this year which is a shocking turn around. on the same token Mayobridge had 5 players on the minor team of 05 and 5 again on the u-21 panel of 2008, all of whom played some part in the u-21's run to the all-ireland semi-final.
Colm Murney didn't even start that minor final in 04 as far as i can recall yet he has come on leaps and bounds since whereas other players have fallen by the wayside.

islandchampions08

all this talk about minor sucess has got me thinking we (loughinisland) never have a team good enough at underage to challange for A medals cause we normally have about 5-8 very good players with the rest made up of poor/average footballers but them few good players always seem to make it to county level at some stage.

to any off the mayobridge people on here can you let me know how many of your team have represented the county?

1) gordon - nets for minors
2) carville- never made it
3)o'toole- minor and under 21
4) doran- never made it, but very good if only a little bigger
5)o'toole- played minor hurley, only coming into himself this year
6)doran- seniors a few years back
7)turley- minor 99
8)gordon- all grades of down plus ulster
9)molloy- 10 years with down
10)mccarthy- minors and under21
11)stranney- under 21
12)o'reilly- minors captain last year
13)valeintine- nevr made it
14)magic- import but good signing ;)
15)o'reilly- minor under 21

aswel as a few subs

brendan ward
gareth doran
willie russell
stevie molloy
niall mccarthty all these boys have represented county at some stage.

is it better to have very good players coming through each year or a good TEAM now and then

Dulaney

islandchampions08 ;) ;D How is your Half-back Turley, did he break his Collar bone in the semi? Will he be fit to play any part in the final??

amallon

Brendy Ward was about the county panel at the same time as Joe Doran.  I went to Coleraine with these two messers, good lads!

From the Bridge the following were involved with the county
Gavin Barry - Played a few National League games
Seamus Grant - All Ireland winning minor, U21 last year
Conor Garvey - All Ireland winning minor, U21 last year
Brendan Rodgers - Was on county panel a few years ago I think
Brendan Grant - Played with the county for 4 or 5 years, All Ireland winning minor
Eoghan Woods - Was a county minor and U21 back in the day
Brendan Coulter - County senior, All Ireland winning minor
Ronan Sexton - County senior, All Ireland winning minor
Michael Walsh - Was a county senior, might be again, All Ireland winning minor
Noel Sexton  - Played 1 seasons championship football for Down
Ryan Brady - County minor this year
Cathal Magee - All Ireland winning minor, U21 last year
John Caldwell - All Ireland winning minor although broken leg meant he only played against Tyrone, U21 last year
Kieran O'Hare - Was about the county seniors a few years back
Brendan Rooney - Down U21 last year out injured for the rest of the year

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Colonel Cool

Quote from: Whitehair on September 18, 2008, 02:02:48 PM
Cheers Colonel, Naomh Colmcille from Tyrone in Preliminary round @ Down venue on the 28th, winner plays Armagh winner(Away) the following week.

Where are you playing your home games? Bredagh used our pitch last year. I take it you'll use Newry?

Camlough play St Malachy's, Portadown in the Armagh final this weekend.
I'm not Homer Simpson. That ship has sailed. I'm "Colonel Cool"!

downredblack

Quote from: amallon on September 18, 2008, 02:42:51 PM
Brendy Ward was about the county panel at the same time as Joe Doran.  I went to Coleraine with these two messers, good lads!

Brendan Grant - Played with the county for 4 or 5 years, All Ireland winning minor
John Caldwell - All Ireland winning minor although broken leg meant he only played against Tyrone, U21 last year

Did he not play in the Championship as well ? Thought he played in Omagh a few yrs ago .

The GAA

Quote from: amallon on September 18, 2008, 02:42:51 PM

Are you sure?

amallon

Maybe Gavin Barry did play championship not 100% sure.  I'd be fairly sure on Woodsy being part of the county minors and U21 setup, I don't know if he played or not however. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

islandchampions08

Quote from: Dulaney on September 18, 2008, 02:41:33 PM
islandchampions08 ;) ;D How is your Half-back Turley, did he break his Collar bone in the semi? Will he be fit to play any part in the final??

havnt a clue mate havnt heard much from the camp at the mo if i do hear i let ya know

wardy and joe sound as a pound the two of them buck egjits.

most of the mayob lads same age?

Whitehair

Quote from: Colonel Cool on September 18, 2008, 02:46:12 PM
Cheers Colonel, Naomh Colmcille from Tyrone in Preliminary round @ Down venue on the 28th, winner plays Armagh winner(Away) the following week.

Where are you playing your home games? Bredagh used our pitch last year. I take it you'll use Newry?

Not too sure of the venue as yet, County Football final is in Newry on the 28th is it not!?

DownFanatic

Was Loughinisland's star of the 89' Final John Trainor not originally a Bryansford man?

bredaghgael86

We played that St.Malachys team last year, and to be honest they were robbed.  They are a big strong,very physical team but wouldnt be a team full of hurlers, 3 or 4 very good players. My cousin plays for camlough and ive seen them play, they arent bad, but i'd say portadown wud be too strong for them.  We also played that tyrone team un the ulster league, they are similar to portadown, fast and fit, very young team, but only have 1 or 2 very good players, the rest are basically runners.  Ballellas hurling, if they play to their potential should be too much for them.

THE DADGA

Quote from: bredaghgael86 on September 18, 2008, 03:49:45 PM

We played that St.Malachys team last year, and to be honest they were robbed.  They are a big strong,very physical team but wouldnt be a team full of hurlers, 3 or 4 very good players. My cousin plays for camlough and ive seen them play, they arent bad, but i'd say portadown wud be too strong for them.  We also played that tyrone team un the ulster league, they are similar to portadown, fast and fit, very young team, but only have 1 or 2 very good players, the rest are basically runners.  Ballellas hurling, if they play to their potential should be too much for them.

that means ballela will need to sort there corner backs out......to say the least!

spiritof91and94

Quote from: spiritof91and94 on September 17, 2008, 04:47:43 PM
Quote from: islandboy on September 17, 2008, 04:22:15 PM
A Mallon i think your correct with the 3-10 not 3-9. we scored two goals in first half. collie mason and gary wre playing then and were superb. john killen actually played corner forward but year previous got mom at corner back. we had a good team in 80 's best remebered outside down for the 3 game saga with burren in 86. ten points up at half time but they came back. they won the all ireland the same year. what the view in the bridge about the final?
3.10 - 0.05 - we were brutal on the day
That was the day John Trainor came back to haunt Bryansford - he never played another game like it in his life! btw youse were at it back then as well!! ;)
Quote from: DownFanatic on September 18, 2008, 03:35:57 PM
Was Loughinisland's star of the 89' Final John Trainor not originally a Bryansford man?

I covered that one earlier - he was an ex ford player and must have visited Lourdes before the final - he was awesome that day - as a transfer subject ' the tide wouldnt have taken him' ;D