Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niall Quinn

And, heeding my accountant's instincts, should Bridgegael not be on 13?!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

umpire

Niall Quinn

You are right again.

I think i give up

Niall Quinn

I didn't mean to be arsey about it umpire.
Have the draws been made for the 2nd round of the Intermediate & Junior Championships yet, does anyone know?
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

amallon

A great win for the Bridge last night, Kilcoo will be wishing they had played that extra time now as the game was there for the taking by either team.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Dannymcfella

No need to worry lads, Ryan Mallons career threatening injury seems to have cleared up, as he scored a scortcher of a goal which ultimately turned out to be a winner. How he can even show up at a football field without admitting to telling lies is beyond me!!! (2 seperate warrenpoint players said to me after, that as much as they wanted to win they didn't want him on the field as he was an embarrassment to the club).
Now before I go on a rant here i have no complaints with the result as the point played for 45 mins and we only played for 15 (thus they deserved the win, we didn't)! During that 15 mins we played some football which I didn't believe we were capable off, really top class!
Few firsts for me in that match. I never actually seen an umpire give a wide from a free kick which was clearly over the bar (seen it happen from play a few times but never a free kick). Never seen a referee book a player for punching, literally 5 yards in front of the ref and he seen clear as day, the same player went on the take 1 of our players out of it when in full flow and only get a tick, should have been a straight red twice, any ref with an ounce of balls would have sent him off (it showed that warrenpoint thought the same when they took this lad off straight after the incident as they knew he would get sent off). Our corner forward was almost gang raped by 5 of there players at the very end of the game which was blatantly a free kick and not give. The funniest of all was when one of there players (Conor? McGarry) hit 2 of our players from behind and run away really was the cowardliest act I have ever seen!!
The difference between the sides was Gary Boyle, especially in the first half, he took some scores which really were top top class, and young Ross McGarry really is a top young player, People have said he shouldn't have been on the county minor side, which is a complete joke (although his goal was lucky as fcuk)!!!!
All in all it was an exciting game of football and any neutural would have really enjoyed it and I would be surprised if there is a better game played anywhere in the county this year.
As i said I have no complaints (although it does sound like I do) they played for 45 mins and we played for 15 which was the difference they deserved it

guevara

Danny personally I think its a joke the whole "Ryan Mallon " issue!
word in our club last night was he was threatened by 5 or 6 or your players throughout the game and this didnt come from the player himself.
I thought our boys dug deep and groundthe result out and probably deserved their win.
I agree Danny young McGarry is a prodigous talent and took all the hits for a 16 year old a potential county star!!

An Phointe Abu
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

Brick Tamlin

Danny, was at the match myself and have to say based on what i had seen Clans gave as good as they got in the physical stakes and were definitely no angels and stupidly targeted certain individuals on the point team which ultimately came back to haunt them in last 10 mins. To be honest when clans went 8 points up in last quarter they were home and dry (or so they believed) and one or two scenes of triumphalism/complacency crept into their game and when really they should have closed the game out they let Point back into it.

In the first half the Point could have cut loose and had game dead at half time only for gifting clans a lifeline through a sloppy goal.
Clans came out of the traps flyin in the second half and were destroyin the opposition all over the field and attacking from all angles in great waves of attaking football and scored somewhere in region of 2-5 without reply..but gradually as Point got a few frees to keep them just about in touch you could sense they were scraping themselves back into it. Then Mallons superbly taken 3 pointer was the defining and turning moment of the match that gave Point the boost they needed. From here on in the Point showed more experience and kept level heads while Clans seemed to crumble and only Paddy Feeney seemed to threaten up front.

a very entertaining game which either side could have won but Point just about deserved it with the better quality players in the positions that mattered. Whatever about off field matters they should be kept off the field and not on the pitch and Mallon from the Point seemed pretty unaffected by abuse and taunts from certain opposing players and effectively turned the game on its head with his goal, maybe if clans had been a bit cuter and concentrated on their own play/players they could have and should have closed the game out.

Honourable mentions must go to Feeney, Fairbairn and both wing backs for clans who tried their hardest to drag them over the finishline and on the Point side the Boyle brothers with a strong spine of Brendan Kearney, Cowan and Mallon impressed most.

and Danny your post is definitely coming across as sour grapes.

Dannymcfella

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 21, 2008, 11:08:52 AM
Danny, was at the match myself and have to say based on what i had seen Clans gave as good as they got in the physical stakes and were definitely no angels and stupidly targeted certain individuals on the point team which ultimately came back to haunt them in last 10 mins. To be honest when clans went 8 points up in last quarter they were home and dry (or so they believed) and one or two scenes of triumphalism/complacency crept into their game and when really they should have closed the game out they let Point back into it.

In the first half the Point could have cut loose and had game dead at half time only for gifting clans a lifeline through a sloppy goal.
Clans came out of the traps flyin in the second half and were destroyin the opposition all over the field and attacking from all angles in great waves of attaking football and scored somewhere in region of 2-5 without reply..but gradually as Point got a few frees to keep them just about in touch you could sense they were scraping themselves back into it. Then Mallons superbly taken 3 pointer was the defining and turning moment of the match that gave Point the boost they needed. From here on in the Point showed more experience and kept level heads while Clans seemed to crumble and only Paddy Feeney seemed to threaten up front.

a very entertaining game which either side could have won but Point just about deserved it with the better quality players in the positions that mattered. Whatever about off field matters they should be kept off the field and not on the pitch and Mallon from the Point seemed pretty unaffected by abuse and taunts from certain opposing players and effectively turned the game on its head with his goal, maybe if clans had been a bit cuter and concentrated on their own play/players they could have and should have closed the game out.

Honourable mentions must go to Feeney, Fairbairn and both wing backs for clans who tried their hardest to drag them over the finishline and on the Point side the Boyle brothers with a strong spine of Brendan Kearney, Cowan and Mallon impressed most.

and Danny your post is definitely coming across as sour grapes.

I'm sure it is but its not meant to be, as I said the point deserved it!

5 Sams

Down GAA Results

Around A Pound IFC

Drumgath 0-12 Carryduff 0-9

Annaclone 1-16 Tullylish 0-5

Warrenpoint 2-13 Clann Na Banna 3-9

JFC

St Michaels 0-11 Glenn 0-10

Democrat Media JHC

Portaferry 2-8 Clonduff 0-14

Ballela 0-16 Warrenpoint 2-9

Down GAA Fixtures

Friday 22nd August 7pm

O'Neills ACFL 1 S17

Kilcoo v Ballyholland

Liatroim v Castlewellan (off)

Clonduff v Longstone (off)

Mayobridge v Rostrevor

Loughinisland v Burren

Saval v An Riocht

O'Neills ACFL 2 S17

Warrenpoint v Annaclone (off)

Ballymartin v Kilclief

Darragh Cross v Downpatrick

Atticall v Tullylish

Shamrocks v Dundrum

Clann Na Banna v Bryansford (off)

O'Neills ACFL 3 S22

Teconnaught v St Pauls

Saul v Drumaness

Bosco v Drumgath (off)

Carryduff v Mitchels (off)

Glasdrumman v St Michaels (off)

Ardglass v Bredagh

O'Neills ACFL 4 S17

Bright v St Johns

Ballykinlar v Dromara

Aghaderg v Aughlisnafin

Saturday 23rd August

Powerade SFC Replay

5pm in Burren

Liatroim v Longstone

(extra-time if required)

Democrat Media JHC Replay

5pm in Kilclief

Portaferry v Clonduff

(extra-time if required)

Sunday 24th August

2pm PRFC

Ballymartin v Kilcoo

Bredagh v Saval

Burren v Bryansford

Carryduff v Mayobridge

6pm RFC

Darragh Cross v Drumaness

Bosco v Mayobridge

Rostrevor v Atticall

Castlewellan v An Riocht

Monday 25th August 7pm

O/S O'Neills ACFL

Div One

Rostrevor v Loughinisland

Ballyholland v Saval

Div Two

Warrenpoint v Annaclone

Clann Na Banna v Bryansford

Atticall v Downpatrick

Div Three

Bosco v Drumgath

Carryduff v Mitchels

Glasdrumman v St Michaels

Div Four

Aghaderg v Dromara

Tuesday 26 August 6:45pm

Democrat Media Hurling Championship Semi Finals

Intermediate

Portaferry 2 v Shamrocks in Liatroim (N Morgan)

Kilclief v Liatroim in Downpatrick (C O' Flynn)

Friday 29th / Sunday 31st August

SFC, IFC, JFC Quarter Finals

Friday 29th August

In Dundrum

7pm Junior Football Championship

Bright v Ballykinlar 

In Burren

7pm Around a Pound Intermediate Quarter Final

Drumgath v Annaclone

8.30pm Powerade Senior Football Championship

Saval v Liatroim or Longstone

Saturday 30th August

In Newcastle

Around a Pound Intermediate Championship

2pm Bredagh v Kilclief

Powerade Senior Football Championship

3.30pm Loughinisland v Downpatrick

In Pairc Esler

Around a Pound Intermediate Championship

6.30pm Glasdrumman v Warrenpoint

Powerade Senior Football Championship

8.30pm Burren v Kilcoo

Sunday 31st August

In Bright

Junior Football Championship

1pm St Johns v  Drumaness

In Saval

Junior Football Championship

1pm  Mitchels v St Pauls

2.30pm Aghaderg v St Michaels

In Hilltown

Around A Pound Intermediate Championship

5pm Darragh Cross v Shamrocks

Powerade Down Senior Football Championship

6.30pm Bryansford v Mayobridge

The Aristocrat Years

Whitehair

QuoteI never actually seen an umpire give a wide from a free kick which was clearly over the bar (seen it happen from play a few times but never a free kick).

The said umpire shouldnt be officiating at games of this level anymore, he's been a great servant and has refeered countless games for both codes in the county but years ago during a match of ours he had to come over to the sideline and ask one of the management to read the time on his watch as he couldnt make it out, a bit of a liability.

Dannymcfella

Quote from: Whitehair on August 21, 2008, 11:18:46 AM
QuoteI never actually seen an umpire give a wide from a free kick which was clearly over the bar (seen it happen from play a few times but never a free kick).

The said umpire shouldnt be officiating at games of this level anymore, he's been a great servant and has refeered countless games for both codes in the county but years ago during a match of ours he had to come over to the sideline and ask one of the management to read the time on his watch as he couldnt make it out, a bit of a liability.

Whens training again? i might get back to the hurling, prob do a better job there

guevara

Also meant to congratulate Ballyholland on a terrific job with the ground looks really smart lads!!
The stand is the blueprint for what clubs throughout the county should be striving for!
I remember few years ago we used to hate going to your pitch because it was normally as hard as the road and bare but its in great nick now looks superb!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

5 Sams

Thanks Guevara.....a lot of boys in the club have put a lot of time, effort and money into getting the ground to the standard it is now.

As for the pitch ....that's our Vice President Joe Kearney's baby.....he would be on the field every day doing some wee job.....he has it in great nick.....even if I say so myself you'd travel far to get a better playing surface.
The Aristocrat Years

Our Nail Loney

Hughes senior odds

4/5 MAYOBRIDGE
4/1 BURREN
4/1 KILCOO
10/1 LONGSTONE
8/1 BRYANSFORD
7/1 LOUGHINISLAND
14/1 SAVAL
14/1 LEITRIM
20/1 DOWNPATRICK

Brick Tamlin

Our Nail, whats the odds on Point/ Burren Double championship win. Just curious.