Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

off the laces

No slack should be cut, i agree with St paul's at the start off the year we are given fixtures and we plan our lives around them,then two weeks before scheduled fixtures things get changed around.
Any fixtures called off should be played by the folowing monday as is the case set out by the county board.
I do not care if it is his first year in just F**ks up alot off peoples pre-arranged plans. Starred games shold be thought out and every eventuality thought about eg down into a semi final etc.
Keeps 'er' straight

Dannymcfella

Quote from: thewobbler on June 26, 2008, 10:57:16 AM
stpauls - I don't see how the fixture changes could affect holidays. The mid-season break now starts a day earlier and finishes on the same time. If anything, this move is going to suit more people.

Well not sure about reserves but our last fixture before the break was on the 3rd July, now its the 10th?? That means we will be missing a hell of alot of players which we can't afford to be as we are already carrying a lengthy injury list and i'd be surprised if this change doesn't affect every club in the county.

amallon

Anyone got the score of the Laitroim Saval game played at the weekend?

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

lfdown2

corn02

Any Down fixtures for Friday?

spiritof91and94

Quote from: thewobbler on June 26, 2008, 10:57:16 AM
stpauls - I don't see how the fixture changes could affect holidays. The mid-season break now starts a day earlier and finishes on the same time. If anything, this move is going to suit more people.

4th May to 11th May is 7 days....
The Championship dates need to be clarified to the clubs asap.

johnneycool

Quote from: upthehoops on June 26, 2008, 11:00:36 AM
it is a nightmare of a job and he's a good lad but clubs cannot be forced to play without players who booked their holidays in good faith when the fixtures came out. It is not a hanging offence and i am sure common sense will prevail.
Lets get over Sunday before we start planning supplementary competitions like Fermanagh

Sometimes clubs need to think about the 20 odd players who won't get a game rather than the one or two off on holidays or on county panels even if the fixture is thrusted upon them without great notice

stpauls

Quote from: johnneycool on June 26, 2008, 02:11:01 PM
Quote from: upthehoops on June 26, 2008, 11:00:36 AM
it is a nightmare of a job and he's a good lad but clubs cannot be forced to play without players who booked their holidays in good faith when the fixtures came out. It is not a hanging offence and i am sure common sense will prevail.
Lets get over Sunday before we start planning supplementary competitions like Fermanagh

Sometimes clubs need to think about the 20 odd players who won't get a game rather than the one or two off on holidays or on county panels even if the fixture is thrusted upon them without great notice

that is all very well for teams with strength in depth, which would not be one of our strong points!!

5 Sams

Question for St Paul's and Off The Laces...

Are you guys involved in club, Divisional or County Admin????

....or are you part of the large body  of "GAA people" who sit on their arses and expect things like fixtures/referees/tickets to appear by magic??
The Aristocrat Years

stpauls

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 26, 2008, 02:50:34 PM

....or are you part of the large body  of "GAA people" who sit on their arses and expect things like fixtures/referees/tickets to appear by magic??

just to answer your question, i have been a PRO on a previous club committee, but due to commitments this year i had to decline the assistant secretary role, but i do intend to fill the vacant seat next year. why do you ask?

5 Sams

Quote from: stpauls on June 26, 2008, 03:10:42 PM

just to answer your question, i have been a PRO on a previous club committee, but due to commitments this year i had to decline the assistant secretary role, but i do intend to fill the vacant seat next year. why do you ask?

If you had any idea what these types of jobs entail (fixtures secretaries, club secretaries, etc, etc, etc) then you wouldnt be slagging them off on an internet discussion board......thats why I'm asking and I think you have answered my question.
The Aristocrat Years

stpauls

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 26, 2008, 03:21:42 PM

If you had any idea what these types of jobs entail (fixtures secretaries, club secretaries, etc, etc, etc) then you wouldnt be slagging them off on an internet discussion board......thats why I'm asking and I think you have answered my question.

and what conclusion did you arrive at then? and on the point of asking questions, why was there the need to change the fixture dates (when they were perfectly fine) at such short notice?

spiritof91and94

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 26, 2008, 03:21:42 PM

If fixtures is part of the Ass Sec job then the person wanting the post should ensure it is watertight and dates are adhered too.
Perhaps next week will see the dawning of a new era when our County will have a full time secretary employed, yes, 1st July sees the incarnation of Sean Og, any thoughts on this?
I have one question, what happens to Seamus Walsh? A man of very high integrity and respect in County Down.

Lecale2

Any results from the football leagues? Bredagh beat Teconnaght by 2 and Carryduff beat Glassdrumman by 7. Any others?

In the Onion Bag

Tut tut Lecale.  You above anyone should know the correct spelling of Glasdrumman.