Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannymcfella

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 17, 2008, 07:11:14 AM
QuoteMcDonald is in a different league to the Tyrone corner forwards,

Who is McDonald? Is he good?

Stupid question! Every1 knows he is the guy who sells the burgers, fries and McFlurrys. Think he is partially responsible for the 1000s and 1000s of fat kids in the country

No1

QuoteWe had the misfortune of travelling to Ardglass to play in the reserve championship last night, that was my first time playing there and hopefully the last!!!! Animals who actually believe they are saints!!!!

:D  ;D  :D

A rite of passage for any East Down footballer Mr O'Hare.  Youse South Down boys think it's all glamour and champagne football!

Fortunately for you, a Sunday afternoon away game in the lashing rain and driving wind against Killyleagh in Wolfe Tone Park in the early nineties was never going to be an option for you Spice Boys! 

Ardglass reserves on a sunny Sunday evening is a cake walk in comparison!

DownFanatic

Im starting to hear from a lot of people in East Down about a young lad that plays for St Pauls called Daniel Eastwood.I think he is still U-14. Talking to other teams and that,supposedly he is one of the most talented young players around. What do the St Pauls posters make of him?

As for travelling to Fortress Ardtole, T O'Hare, I should of warned you. Its not a nice place to go. Although as No1 mentions its nowhere as near as welcoming as Wolfe Tone Park, Killyleagh.
I brought an U-16 team there a few years back. We beat them well but instead of packing our things and heading off to savour our victory, we were swamped by the team and their supporters. A couple of fights broke out and the Killyleagh mafia chased us up the hill to our bus with stones and bottles.Lovely people.

st pauls mcgrath

Quote from: DownFanatic on June 17, 2008, 11:31:19 AM
Im starting to hear from a lot of people in East Down about a young lad that plays for St Pauls called Daniel Eastwood.I think he is still U-14. Talking to other teams and that,supposedly he is one of the most talented young players around. What do the St Pauls posters make of him?

well DF havnt seen an awful lot of him playing myself but from wat i have seen he is a very good footballer. plays off both feet and can take people on. if u look through some of the match reports for u14 the personal tallies he racks up speaks for itself. only problem is he tend to hold onto the ball a bit too long. however hopefully with time he'll grow out of this and is certainly 1 for the future of st.pauls
Down by birth....St.Pauls by the grace of god

stpauls

just want to echo what Mr. McGrath has said, a great talent who can play off both feet, can take his scores but does tend to over carry the ball every now and again, but he will grow and develop as he gets older and will no doubt be a member of many a Down panel over the next few years.

5 Sams

Having read about young Eastwood at St Paul's...I'd say that everyone would have a special talent at their club at U 12/14/16 level who would be expected to eventually "make it".

Who's yours?

We have a couple of exciting prospects in Rory Keenan at U 16 and Tiernan Rushe at U 12....Robbie White would have come in to this bracket last year but you could say he has "made it" because he has already played minor c'ship for Down.
The Aristocrat Years

T O Hare

i will be advising Mickey Donnelly that if we win the senior championship this year and need a few challenge matches before the ulster campaign that a few games in Ardglass would make Ulster look like a sparring match...
worst of it is they have some decent footballers but reminded of playing under 12 west Belfast teams  :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

off the laces

Ardglass have good footballers but will always be a shower only a mother could love.
Playing in ardtole is a frightening episode but not as scary as playing behind the primary school you never knew who would hit first the players or the mouthy supporters.
Ardglass now seem to have the mentality that everyone is against them and it even has some east down refs afraid of their actions just ask drumgath/glassdrumman players
Keeps 'er' straight

passedit

Young eastwood is a grandson of Barney's so unfortunately there's a bit of Tyrone blood there. Not to worry though he's a good un, good balance, strong, quick and deadly with both feet. I wouldn't worry about the overcarrying, when he has to he can spot and give a pass.

I haven't seen as good a footballer since i saw wee james in action at the same age. I was at st pauls u14 game v St Johns last night and they had to take him off at half time because he looked like he was playing two grades below himself.

That said he has a long road to travel yet and there's many a slip awaiting. not only women and drink but he's just as handy at the soccer and rugby apparently so i wouldn't be hailing the messiah just yet.
Don't Panic

Lecale2

You really shouldn't mention the names of any talented youth players on a public discussion board like this.

Loughinisland will have them all signed up by the end of the summer.

passedit

Quote from: off the laces on June 17, 2008, 12:47:03 PM
Ardglass have good footballers but will always be a shower only a mother could love.
Playing in ardtole is a frightening episode but not as scary as playing behind the primary school you never knew who would hit first the players or the mouthy supporters.
Ardglass now seem to have the mentality that everyone is against them and it even has some east down refs afraid of their actions just ask drumgath/glassdrumman players

Never a great idea to go sprinting down the wing in that old place, could end up on yer hole with not a player near you very handy. Running the gauntlet i think it's called
Don't Panic

DownFanatic

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 17, 2008, 01:08:10 PM
You really shouldn't mention the names of any talented youth players on a public discussion board like this.

Loughinisland will have them all signed up by the end of the summer.

Good call Lecale. You dont want them bastards gettin wind of any potential stars.  >:(

amallon

What are the names of the stands in Clones again.  Gerry Arthurs is the seated stand.

Seated area opposite Gerry Arthurs =  ???
The big Terrace that runs the length of the field = McGrane stand??
Behind the goals at the Clones side =
Behind the goals at the countryside end =
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

dundrumite

Quote from: No1 on June 17, 2008, 11:25:55 AM
QuoteWe had the misfortune of travelling to Ardglass to play in the reserve championship last night, that was my first time playing there and hopefully the last!!!! Animals who actually believe they are saints!!!!

:D  ;D  :D

A rite of passage for any East Down footballer Mr O'Hare.  Youse South Down boys think it's all glamour and champagne football!

Fortunately for you, a Sunday afternoon away game in the lashing rain and driving wind against Killyleagh in Wolfe Tone Park in the early nineties was never going to be an option for you Spice Boys! 

Ardglass reserves on a sunny Sunday evening is a cake walk in comparison!

Got chased out of Wolfe Tone Park twice, once with stones and had to leg it down the lane and onto the bus.............and that was at under 12. Good times :o

bridgegael

FAO lfdown...  fella that was taken to hospital after getting hurt during our match on friday night,  any word of how he is??
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"