Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Dundrumite had a post up there that just dissappeared. What's occurring?
Don't Panic

southdown

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsmNidZbwL4

Just spent the last ten minutes watching this, great memories especially the first half of the donegal game, great work Amallon.

Minus15

Quote from: passedit on June 16, 2008, 12:20:37 PM
Lads just wondering about the guy who reffed the St Pauls Mitchells game on friday night. Stout lad from Bosco i think. now i know we don't get the cream of refs in div 3 but that was the best refereeing performance i've witnessed in Down for a while. Took no shit from either team, was scrupulously fair and got 99% of the calls right. Most importantly he engaged with the players without talking down to them. What's his name? was this an aberration? and does he get any decent games to ref?

ps as the st pauls lads will tell you praise for a ref from me is high praise indeed.

According to last Tuesday's Irish News that ref was Barry Andrews. Ive always thought he was good too right from underage. You could always talk to him and he would listen before explaining his decisions although I know a few more who cant have him at all.

T O Hare

Quote from: BRIDGE LAD on June 16, 2008, 12:52:09 PM
Has anyone got any other results from the reserve championship last night?
Big tom got a great goal last night, its a wonder he forgot to mention it!
:o :o :o :o :o

Actually, it hit off his arse!

1on 1 with the keeper  and i calmly slotted him under him.. Stevie from Killeavy rang me today looking advice! ;D

What about Fridays nights games!!! Us v Kilcoo will be interesting.. the magpies would love to be the first to take points of us but i think our lads will be really up for it!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Dannymcfella

Think Ross could do worse than throw Big Tom O'Hare into the full forward line to match big francie, the irresistable force vs the immoveable object!!

T O Hare

Well i carried Coulter through underage football, i was the Mc Gilligan while he was doing the scoring, we were telepathic is one of the most successful underage teams ever in our county, So Ross if you reading this, you know where i live! :)
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Fíor Gael

Quote from: T O Hare on June 16, 2008, 02:38:17 PM
Well i carried Coulter through underage football, i was the Mc Gilligan while he was doing the scoring, we were telepathic is one of the most successful underage teams ever in our county, So Ross if you reading this, you know where i live! :)

Where's that then Tommy?   Gormans???

Dannymcfella

Yeah think he moved to Gormans when he turned 17, before that he had a residence in factory lane, hilltown.

DownFanatic

Down RFC

Dundrum 0-07  Glasdrumman 6-11

Glasdrumman could surprise a few. Cormac Murphy and Raymond Magorrian are both eligible to play in the RFC this year.

western exile

Quote from: Mourne Rover on June 15, 2008, 11:59:33 PM
Wobbler is correct to point out that switching Murphy to a marking job at corner back will deprive us of the outstanding wing-half in Ulster so far this season, but the problem is that someone will have to take on McDonnell. While the three guys in our full back line on Saturday played their hearts out, it is difficult to see any of them coping with McDonnell. Murphy's attacking instincts might have have to be sacrificed on a one-off basis, as McDonnell on a good day could hit us for 1-6 or more from play which would cost us the game.

I fully agree that Colgan should have been tried at full back at a much earlier stage, and, together with others on this board, I have been suggesting it since last year. He plainly did not want to play there, but he now seems to have accepted that it is his best chance of a starting spot for the time being.

I thought McArdle did not do badly there in the league, but I trust Ross (although I still do not understand why Murphy did not start in Omagh) and it seems clear McArdle is not considered ready for championship football and our no 3 against Armagh will be either Colgan or McCartan.

The bottom line is that, if we can restrict Clarke and McDonnell, this is a game we are capable of winning. You can make statistics prove anything, but, even through an otherwise depressing period, our record in Ulster semi-finals is good. We have failed to get past the first round in nine seasons out of the last 12, but we have won our last four semis in row (94, 96, 99, 03).  As we all know, we are also long overdue a win against Armagh.

I am not sure that Colgan was thrown into full back at all on Saturday night.  McCartan had done a great job at FB, but in the first period of Extra Time Cavanagh was moved to midfield.  I think that is the reason that Colgan was brought on i.e. to tag Cavanagh there.  Ross could not have forecast that Tyrone would have moved Cavanagh back to Full Forward.  So Colgan ended up full back by accident, not a deliberate decision.

stiff breeze

Quote from: western exile on June 16, 2008, 07:18:55 PM

I am not sure that Colgan was thrown into full back at all on Saturday night.  McCartan had done a great job at FB, but in the first period of Extra Time Cavanagh was moved to midfield.  I think that is the reason that Colgan was brought on i.e. to tag Cavanagh there.  Ross could not have forecast that Tyrone would have moved Cavanagh back to Full Forward.  So Colgan ended up full back by accident, not a deliberate decision.

mc cartan didnt do a great job at full back, he got away with assault on cavanagh!! Every time the ball went into the forward line I was worried. he is lacking pace , power and any ability. armagh will exploit him if he starts. Kevin mc guigan is also way off county standard.

clonduff 1-13 saval 1-10 (think that was the score, clonduff won by 3 anyway)

Lecale2

Quote from: Dannymcfella on June 16, 2008, 03:21:55 PM
Yeah think he moved to Gormans when he turned 17, before that he had a residence in factory lane, hilltown.
Has the Cove closed?

umpire

Mon 16th  June
Div one table

P   W   D   L   Pts   SD   Teams
9   9   0   0   18    73   Mayobridge
9   6   1   2   13    45   Kilcoo
9   6   0   3   12     5   Longstone
9   6   0   3   12     1   Clonduff
9   5   1   3   11     0   Rostrevor
9   5   0   4   10    -8   Loughinisland
9   4   1   4    9    13   Castlewellan
9   4   0   5    8   -12   Burren
9   2   2   5    6   -13   Saval
9   2   1   6    5   -13   Ballyholland
9   1   0   8    2   -39   Liatriom
9   1   0   8    2   -52   An Riocht

Mourne Rover

Dan McCartan did what he had to do on Cavanagh, which was to accept that he could not beat him in the air but generally to harass him, annoy him and put him off his game by all the means at his disposal. He did it very well for most of the game, even he did stretch the rules almost as much as he stretched Cavanagh's jersey on occasions. Crucially, he was not booked until the last couple of minutes of normal time. If he had been given a yellow card earlier, the outcome could have been very different. Cavanagh still scored three points from play, but we would probably have taken that at the start of the night. If he had either scored or set up a goal, as he very nearly did, we would have lost, so McCartan deserved considerable credit.

However, I still do not think that McCartan should be sent out to mark Clarke on Sunday week. Cavanagh did not particularly want to play at full forward, and it showed. Clarke is an out and out number 14, who will relish the physical battle against a smaller man and will simply shrug off most tackles.  No one really knows if Colgan or possibly Turley, who are both over 6 ft, can play full back at county level, but they are much more likely to present a proper physical challenge to Clarke.

Taking Murphy out of the half back line and putting him on McDonald is also a big risk, but we need to look at the context. Howard and Rafferty are decent defenders, but again on the small side, and they found both Penrose and McCullough tough going on Saturday night. McDonald is in a different league to the Tyrone corner forwards, and, especially if Clarke is regularly wining possession for him, is capable of running riot.

It's not an exact comparison by any means, but Seamus Moynihan was at one stage by some distance the best centre half in Ireland. When Kerry needed a full back, Moynihan was switched there without hesitation and he did the job required. Armagh will play a two-man full forward line which will demand physically strong and mobile defending on our part. It will also need an extra defender in there, which might be the best role for McCartan. Naming the same starting defence as against Tyrone would be the easy call, but the wrong one.

Lecale2

QuoteMcDonald is in a different league to the Tyrone corner forwards,

Who is McDonald? Is he good?