Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: goldenyears on May 28, 2008, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 26, 2008, 11:53:10 AM

knowing nothing about it, if the lad was unable to train fully with the county squad that would tell me he was injured or returning from injury and any decent physico would tell you a player should never play a match returning from injury unless he come through a full training session

Max, I think thats balls - Paul McGrath extended his career for years by getting through game to game and training very little - is it not possible that a player cant make training on wed night but the extra time gets him into a playable position for the fri night?? i certainly think so.

paul mc Grath...FFS that shit happened years ago. It would not be tolerated at the top of professional sport now...sure wasn't he also drunk all of the time except for the games. This arguement all depends on your knowledge base in respect to injuries. I stand by my comment...and the only time i would see it bent would be for a championship game . But as said before in respect of this situation I know nothing about it...it was just a general analysis.

stiff breeze

heard colly murtagh from glenn is making a comeback against tyrone

off the laces

Keeps 'er' straight

corn02

Apparently the closed doors decision was actually not a Cork decision.

amallon

Is the Tyrone game on TV?  When will tickets be out?
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

stpauls

Quote from: amallon on May 28, 2008, 02:21:50 PM

as far as i know AM, the game is going to be on the bbc. with regards to the tickets, not sure when they will be out, but orders for tickets in our club had to be in last weekend.

T O Hare

Its the only Ulster game that is nt shown live.. tickets will be out early next week... did you contact Micheal Toner about getting one.. thats if your a member  :D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

5 Sams

Quote from: amallon on May 28, 2008, 02:21:50 PM

Clubs need to tell Séamus Walsh what they need by Friday...I'd imagine they will be available for collection on Wed night. Won't be as handy for me now that Hugh John's is gone. Saved me a run to the County Office :-[
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

My membership was paid on time!
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Our Nail Loney

My very reliable source says it is very tight at the minute for midfield between Jackie and Colgan but that Colgan is shading it

Wouldn't like to see it myself but no matter

No doubt that andym an riocht fella will be on soon to put us all to rights!

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 28, 2008, 06:43:56 PM
My very reliable source says it is very tight at the minute for midfield between Jackie and Colgan but that Colgan is shading it

sorry?

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: charlie stubbs on May 28, 2008, 07:31:36 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on May 28, 2008, 06:43:56 PM

sorry?

What you sorry for Charles?

Poster on the board called andym or something from an riocht, am I not allowed to mention him? Sorry

Mourne Rover

The rumours about Colgan are increasing, and it would be great if Murphy is in as well. Rafferty would surely be a better bet than Howard, and it is hard to see Rogers being left on the bench. It could all mean something like this.

McVeigh; Rafferty (or Howard), Murney,Cole; Carr,Murphy, Doyle; Gordon, Colgan: Murtagh, Rogers,Hughes; Clarke,Coulter,Sexton.

Sexton would probably drop deep, Rogers would be in and around midfield and the remaining four forwards would switch as needed.
McComiskey would appear fairly soon after the break, with McKernan the next option. I think we could do worse than give this a go.

DownFanatic

People suggesting that McComiskey should start on the bench totally baffles me. Now this isnt a blinkered view from a clubmate but an honest opinion. In my view he is currently our second biggest scoring threat behind Benny. All this shite about bringing him on after the break is ridiculous. We could be at trailing by 7 to 9 points at this stage. That would put unecessary pressure on any forward coming off the bench.
If we are to keep up with Tyrone we need a good start and try to match them for every other score. McComiskey thrives in these games and should be put in from the start. Just remember the Meath game last year. Carr left it too late and brought him on and he had little effect.

Mourne Rover

Omagh will be an intimidating place, and McComiskey, as probably the smallest player in the Down squad and one with a big reputation,will be targeted. He can look after himself, and is capable of making an impact at any stage, but starting him for the first time ever in a championship match would be a huge risk. If things went wrong, his confidence would be hammered. The idea that he would single-handedly keep Down in the game, rather than nine points behind early in the second half, is unrealistic, to put it mildly. He was certainly brought on too late against Meath, but that match,in which we failed to score from play after the first minute, had long since been lost. If he appears after 45 or 50 minutes, and the tie is in the balance, everyone will get a huge lift and anything could happen.