Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yes I Would

Having seen Down play a few times in recent years, i find a certin a naiveness in how they play.
Alot of footballers of a similar stature and physique. All blessed with ability, but lack the guileness and perhaps the cynicism with which the successful teams play with, Kerry, Armagh, Tyrone, a style Monaghan adapted last year and almost got them within touching distance of an All Ireland final. The days of winning Ulster titals and All Irelands by playing free flowing football is gone for the time being, unfortunately in my opinion.
Having said all that, i dont believe they will be far off Tyrone and with a bit of self belief and cuteness could actually take them!!

downredblack

Anyone got The IN yet ? who are the latest injury worries they are reporting ?

passedit

Coulter, Doyle, Hughes and a litany of squad players.
Don't Panic

downredblack

Ah FFS , the usual bogey injury stories hopefully .

goldenyears

Down's injury worries worsen Ulster Senior Football Championship
By Kenny Archer
20/05/08

DOWN'S injury concerns have worsened ahead of their Ulster Championship clash against Tyrone with three more star men facing races to be fit for the game on June 8 – and another player already ruled out.

Forwards Benny Coulter and Danny Hughes, along with centre half-back Liam Doyle, are all sitting out training at the moment with various knocks.

Those three should be physically fit to take on the Red Hands in Omagh, although they may lack for match fitness.

However, Burren attacker James McGovern seems certain to miss that match after tearing a quad muscle in a training session.

The Down medics estimate that he will be absent for between four and six weeks with that injury.

Coulter and Doyle have been sidelined for over a week and are understood to be 'touch and go' for the Tyrone game.

Both were absent from a two-point challenge match win in Newry at the weekend against Tipperary, who will enter Championship combat this Sunday in the Munster SFC against Limerick.

Hughes hurt an ankle in a challenge game victory against a largely second string Monaghan side just over a fortnight ago but the

Saval sharpshooter is considered more likely to

be ready to feature at Healy Park.

Defensively, Down had already lost last year's captain Declan Rooney to a hernia problem, young full-back Ciaran McGovern to a longer-term knee injury, and half-back Darren O'Hanlon to a broken ankle sustained in a club game.

The Mournemen will keep their collective fingers crossed that they suffer no more seious injuries this Thursday night when the last round of senior club games take place prior to their Championship campaign commencing.

Down boss Ross Carr and his selectors have not called up any replacements, hoping that Coulter, Doyle, and Hughes will all be available for the Healy Park clash.

One surprising inclusion in the squad could be former county minor Hugh Davey, who has been playing soccer with some success in the United States of America.

-------------------------------------------

i would find hugh davey's inclusion a bit of a joke

behind the wire

has hugh turned out for the shamrocks this year at all?

remember playing against him at minor level when he had just returned from blackburn, he was a very good player.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

spiritof91and94

Hugh Davey - wtf is that all about?
If he has played for Shamrocks then tell me where he was when Bryansford trounced them 1.17 - 2.02 when they scored only 1 goal from play and were a complete joke - how they have county standard players must be DJ's influence....

downredblack

"Both were absent from a two-point challenge match win in Newry at the weekend against Tipperary, who will enter Championship combat this Sunday in the Munster SFC against Limerick."

That's what worried me the most out of the IN article.

T O Hare

going by the local papers, hugh davey gas not turned out for the Shamrocks this year, i dont think he is home from the states yet!!!!
Forgot to mention the performance of  Kevin Duffin on Friday night v Mayobridge, this lad is the real deal, he is strong, athletic, gret brain and can pass a ball!!!!!! he gave a great drop kick pass into the forward line the other night, a great and dying art!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

western exile

I must admit that I had not heard of this Hugh Davey before. But I googled him and found this link from Florida, USA.  (if you can translate the american soccer lingo :)

http://daytona.embryriddlesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11500&ATCLID=541200

Andym2008

[Well i think we can all say that the kingdom did indeed make us wait for the 1st win of the season , but in time it did come. A massive result indeed, J clark was the main difference as well as christy killen and the returning Aidan Cunningham, i think you will recall that ros carr said just a few short years ago he was the best minor he ever worked with, Now he back for An Ríocht this season and a League and championship double looks quite good! ;D ;D ;D
Up da Kingdom

mattockranger

why and how did down get a challenge with tipperary???

Surely there is many a county that would love a challenge against down
what has your preparation been like prior to this?? i thought you guys were a great outside bet to beat tyrone in the first round with poor challenges llike that it dosen't bode well..........i'm sad to say
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Mickey Linden

Anyone want to hazard a guess at the starting 15 v Tyrone? Things arent looking too good at the min

stiff breeze

surely the hugh davey story is a windup! on the injury front , i can only tell you that hughes came on for saval in the last 10 against rostrevor tried to run round the whole defense to get a goal and lost the ball! he should be fit though for the game.

5 Sams

Quote from: mattockranger on May 20, 2008, 02:10:32 PM
why and how did down get a challenge with tipperary???

Surely there is many a county that would love a challenge against down
what has your preparation been like prior to this?? i thought you guys were a great outside bet to beat tyrone in the first round with poor challenges llike that it dosen't bode well..........i'm sad to say

I think we play the Rebels in a challenge on Sunday in Newry.
The Aristocrat Years