Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Sorry to be a pedant, but if finished 8 apiece in Ballyholland.

I thought it an entertaining enough game, but both sides were guilty of awful decision making in attack - although partly excused in both cases by generally excellent defending, and a referee that let defenders away with pretty much what they wanted.

I know I'm biased but I thought the Harps were the slightly better team overall, even though Saval more or less owned midfield.

Uladh, I'd say you're particularly harsh on Gavin Barry, who in my recollection only ever had one half-decent run of games for Down, which came to an abrupt end when Paddy hung him out to dry against Mattie Forde. Barry would never have the physique to mark a county standard target man, but there is nobody in Down football I'd rather see up against the likes of Tommy Freeman, Seanie Johnston, CJ McGourty, Brendan Devenney or Colm McCullagh (or any of Tyrone's lighter forwards). I'd even consider playing him purely as a shadow on Brian McGuigan in Omagh, for if McGuigan gets the space he inevitably seems to get, we have no chance.

Grant may have been exposed a number of times in Championship football, but realistically no more so than a number of our defenders who are still there. Like T O'Hare says, he isn't Darren Fay, but at least he is a full back. We can move on and look for new full backs, but 99% of the names being dropped on here would be as comfortable at full-back as Golden Years would be on a diet.

But then again, who could ever get comfortable playing full-back in a team that comprises on average 3 or 4 out and out defenders, playing behind a midfield that regularly gets washed out?

lisdoon1

Quote from: southdown on April 25, 2008, 05:29:02 PM
Full back looks like it always going to be a major problem.  After all the people that have been tried I would still like to see adrian Scullion play there, who is better??

Laim Doyle's defensive inadequacies were badly shown up on Wedesday evening in Lietrim when Mark Poland scored 12 points on him.

Out of interest how many were from play / frees?

T O Hare

sorry wobbs, must have dosed off near the end :) i thought the harps deserved it as well, that referee is a joke (armagh man!) You's had a better balance but i think you's put too many men behind the ball!!!!is that a game plan?????
Some great points on barry and grant!!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BRIDGE LAD

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2008, 10:32:25 PMSorry to be a pedant, but if finished 8 apiece in Ballyholland.Uladh, I'd say you're particularly harsh on Gavin Barry, who in my recollection only ever had one half-decent run of games for Down, which came to an abrupt end when Paddy hung him out to dry against Mattie Forde. Barry would never have the physique to mark a county standard target man, but there is nobody in Down football I'd rather see up against the likes of Tommy Freeman, Seanie Johnston, CJ McGourty, Brendan Devenney or Colm McCullagh (or any of Tyrone's lighter forwards). I'd even consider playing him purely as a shadow on Brian McGuigan in Omagh, for if McGuigan gets the space he inevitably seems to get, we have no chance.Grant may have been exposed a number of times in Championship football, but realistically no more so than a number of our defenders who are still there. Like T O'Hare says, he isn't Darren Fay, but at least he is a full back. We can move on and look for new full backs, but 99% of the names being dropped on here would be as comfortable at full-back as Golden Years would be on a diet.But then again, who could ever get comfortable playing full-back in a team that comprises on average 3 or 4 out and out defenders, playing behind a midfield that regularly gets washed out?

Have to weigh  in here with my views, Wobbler is 100% right about Barry, very good points about type of man to mark, would be the best man marker in down to do a job on any of the above mentioned!! Also Grant is the best full back in Down football at this moment. Still cant believe there isnt any more players on the panel from Longstone especially Barry Doran who has run many defences ragged last year, also not one man from Kilcoo, very hard to believe. They must have somebody playing well the way they hammered An Riocht!

Mourne Rover

Gavin Barry has been outstanding every time I have seen him for Mayobridge. but it's wrong to suggest that he only got a short run in the league for Down. He started against Tyrone in the 2005 USC, but unfortunately it did not work. Bringing him back three years later is not out of the question but we already have quite a few fast and light corner backs. What we need to find is a full back who is physically strong enough to hold the defence together.

I honestly do not see what we have to lose by experimenting with someone like Paul Murphy or even Ambrose, because every other alternative we have tried over the last couple of years has been found wanting.

McArdle looked OK in the McKenna Cup and at the start of the league but seemed to lose confidence and has been either replaced or left out in the last 3/4 games. Murney looked the obvious candidate after the Ulster u21 championship but struggled against Kildare in the AI semi and lacks senior experience. McCartan has the experience but not the size. McGovern, Howard and Cole are corner backs who could only switch to the middle in an emergency. Rooney was tried last summer and looked much more comfortable further out the field. Grant has been dropped from the squad twice in the last year and will hardly want to come back. Scullion has retired and was fairly ordinary last summer anyway.

Using our full back from the last championship match of 2007 (Meath) is also not an option. In case anyone has forgotten, that was John Clarke.

spiritof91and94

Quote from: DownFanatic on April 24, 2008, 05:07:28 AM
Havent  posted in a while. Been livin it up in Australia. Good to see the new season get underway.
There seems to have been a few very interesting results in Division 2. Thats a great result for Tullylish against Shamrocks likewise for Banbridge against Annaclone. Our game with Atticall was called off because we have a Mission in our Parish at the moment.
Our first game against Warrenpoint is going to be very interesting. Shea Curran will be playing his first competitive game for us against his old club.
On another note, there seems to be an air of depression around the county scene at the moment. I was really dissapointed to see the U-21s lose out to Kildare. I think Marty Clarke may have been the difference between a Semi Final defeat and an All Ireland title.
Regarding the Seniors, it seems that we havent really progressed that far. I still feel that there are too many players that are standouts at club level but just cant cut it at county level starting for us. I totally agree wif the negative tactics sentiment. Having an extra defender back is what we need to do against Tyrone and it is the only plausible way we are going to compete with them.
In regards to a starting 15 at the moment, Id be leaning towards something like this:

Did you meet up with Marty Clarke when in Oz, John?

DownFanatic

Spirit, the names Marc. Actually still in Oz at the moment. Went to the Gabba about a month back to see the Brisbane Lions v Collingwood game. Unfortunately Clarke was dropped for that game and we didnt get to see him in action. I tried to get tickets for the Anzac Day game between Collingwood and Essendon but they were all sold out. Watched it on TV instead. Clarke was very solid. He played out on the wing. His passing was immaculate but he was steady more than spectacular.
He's well known out here. From what Ive seen of him he seems to have bulked up a hell of a lot but he just doesnt seem to have the same level of mobility he once had.
By the way Spirit,hows Kalum King shaping up? He surely is a better option than Jackie Lynch for the county at midfield.

holylandsbomber

Square Ball

Bredagh beat St Michaels, I think it was 2-18 to 0-6.

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

general

amallon

Kingdom 1-9 Bridge 1-11
Rostrevor 0-8 Laitroim 1-13
Burren 2-10 Kilcoo 0-11
Castlewellan drew with Saval

Good win for Burren.  Rostrevor and the Kingdom have two defeats out of two.  Bridge did well up in the Kingdom but had Brendan Grant sent off with I thought was a straight red.  Didn't see what happened, neither did anyone beside me.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

southdown

Loughinisland won in Longstone by 2

superblues

thought it was two yellows grant got

TORGAEL

ACFL DIV3

Ardglass 0-13, Drumgath 0-12

Glassdrumman 1-13, Drumaness 0-13

No1

I heard Bryansford gave Atticall a bit of a tanking.