Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fíor Gael

Did monk cole get a transfer to the bridge? ;D ;D

thewobbler

I agree with Tom. Howard, McGovern, McArdle and Murney all have potential, but Barry and Grant have shown time and time again in club football that they're a step above.

Surreal Steve

Quote from: behind the wire on April 21, 2008, 01:12:55 PM
it doesnt take a genius to work out it was wrong. if it had been a tyrone/armagh/dublin man that kneeled on an opposition players face you would probably be calling on him to be suspended for 6 months or a year, but because he is one of our own you think he should learn from it. what is there to learn from kneeling on someone's face when they are lying injured on the ground?

despite yesterdays scenes in parnell park the garvey incident is still by far the worst incident of foul play i have seen this year.

im surprised more down posters havent spoken out against this.

What sort of Down man are you, disowning your own county man like that? You should be ashamed and if I had anything to do with it you would be banned from all Down county games for life. We have to stick together otherwise were never gonna win a sixth All-Ireland.

umpire

I have been supporting Down from 1960. I have to agreed with above psoters T O'HARE and The Wobbler that the best 2 outstanding  backs are from Mayobridge Gavin Barry and Brendan Grant, should be in Down team along with Mickey Walsh.

behind the wire

Quote from: Surreal Steve on April 25, 2008, 02:00:50 PM
Quote from: behind the wire on April 21, 2008, 01:12:55 PM
it doesnt take a genius to work out it was wrong. if it had been a tyrone/armagh/dublin man that kneeled on an opposition players face you would probably be calling on him to be suspended for 6 months or a year, but because he is one of our own you think he should learn from it. what is there to learn from kneeling on someone's face when they are lying injured on the ground?

despite yesterdays scenes in parnell park the garvey incident is still by far the worst incident of foul play i have seen this year.

im surprised more down posters havent spoken out against this.

What sort of Down man are you, disowning your own county man like that? You should be ashamed and if I had anything to do with it you would be banned from all Down county games for life. We have to stick together otherwise were never gonna win a sixth All-Ireland.

i think it will take more than sticking together.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Surreal Steve

yeah well people like you don't help. your probably from adicall or one of those sheep-shaggin places.

behind the wire

Quote from: Surreal Steve on April 25, 2008, 03:21:06 PM
yeah well people like you don't help. your probably from adicall or one of those sheep-shaggin places.

i would doubt it if you are a down man. if you knew anything about down gaa you would be able to spell atticall. or maybe you are just too young to understand the logic of spelling. how do you reach a keyboard from your play-pen?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Uladh

Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2008, 01:45:56 PM
I agree with Tom. Howard, McGovern, McArdle and Murney all have potential, but Barry and Grant have shown time and time again in club football that they're a step above.

atao be fsir to the two ronnies, Barry snd grant have also consistently showed that they are short at county level. given that, surely it is incumbent on the county management to go with those who show potential county talent rather than the tried and failed averageness of grant and barry?

Mourne Rover

Gavin Barry is a talented player who was simply not big enough when he was previously given an extended run at county level. It's a bit hard to believe that we have 12 defenders who are better than Brendan Grant, but he has probably not done himself justice in a Down jersey over recent years. Michael Walsh also has the ability but has often failed to deliver in big games. I don't think the fact that all three are from the same club has anything to do with it. Conor Garvey's case is fairly straightforward - he did something stupid and will have to take his punishment.

T O Hare

Quote from: Uladh on April 25, 2008, 04:25:18 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on April 25, 2008, 01:45:56 PM

atao be fsir to the two ronnies, Barry snd grant have also consistently showed that they are short at county level. given that, surely it is incumbent on the county management to go with those who show potential county talent rather than the tried and failed averageness of grant and barry?

Most of or entire panel have showed that are consistenly short at county level, when it comes to club football these two boys have outshined any defnders in don this decade, we are not going to find a Darren fay or a cormac mc annallen at this stage, its sad but i dont think its the managements fault, we just are short of a top class full backs!! brendan grant is our best club full-back!!!!! gavin barry is our best club corner back!!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Uladh

Neither are talented enough to be effective at county level. they have established that. down have to either accept that mediocrity or strive to improve by testing and nurturing fresh talent.

Brick Tamlin

Jayyyysuss there is some serious arse licking goin on in here these days..Gavin Barry May be be the best corner back in club football in Down but for me thats really indicitive of the standard of Club football in Down. Brendan Grant should be on the Down panel along with Walsh but lads we dont pick the team and we dont always see what goes on behind the scenes and the fact of the matter is that neither look likely to be playing for Down this summer, end of story.

southdown

Full back looks like it always going to be a major problem.  After all the people that have been tried I would still like to see adrian Scullion play there, who is better??

Laim Doyle's defensive inadequacies were badly shown up on Wedesday evening in Lietrim when Mark Poland scored 12 points on him.

T O Hare

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on April 25, 2008, 05:20:48 PM
Jayyyysuss there is some serious arse licking goin on in here these days..Gavin Barry May be be the best corner back in club football in Down but for me thats really indicitive of the standard of Club football in Down. Brendan Grant should be on the Down panel along with Walsh but lads we dont pick the team and we dont always see what goes on behind the scenes and the fact of the matter is that neither look likely to be playing for Down this summer, end of story.

what do you mean by indictive?? Gavin Barry is a top class player and would walk onto any club side in Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T O Hare

Saval 0.7 Ballyhiolland 0.7very poor game !