Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

behind the wire

clann na banna 0-11 annaclone 0-10

not great football just a typical derby game. big enough crowd showed up for it.

not too many predicted that, the general was about the only one i think.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

amallon

Kilcoo 3-18 Kingdom 0-4.  Not too many teams will leave Kilcoo with the points this year either by the looks of it.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

corn02

Clann na Banna 0-11 Annaclone 0-10.

Decent game if the quality wasn't the best.

Annaclone missed alot of scorable frees and comfortably won the midfield battle.

Johhny Burns and the number 13  Stephen McDonald?? kicked some lovely points, Clann much more efficient in front of goal.

SCENTOFSAM

Ballymartin Bt Downpatrick by 3.( 1-12/2-6) Very young DPK team with 6 minors starting. No excuses. More experienced team held the upper hand but some encouraging displays by younger Hoops notably Deeny in goals and Jarlath Brannigan and Neal Cunningham up front.

thewobbler

ACFL Div 1
Clonduff 1 12 Castlewellan 0 12
Liatroim 3 10 Longstone 1 17
Mayobridge 1 11 Burren 0 06
Loughinisland 2 11 Rostrevor 2 10
Kilcoo 3 18 An Riocht 0 03
ACFL Div 2
Clanna na Banna 0 11 Annaclone 0 10
Ballymartin 1 12 Downpatrick 2 06
Darragh Cross 1 11 Kilclief 0 08
Tullylish1 13 Shamrocks 1 11
Warrenpoint 0 07 Bryansford 1 14
ACFL Div 3
Saul 1 09 Bosco 0 09
Drumgath 1 21 Glenn 0 06
Mitchels 1 07 Bredagh 0 08
ACFL Div 4
Dromara 2 14 Bright 0 08

Would suggest that Shamrocks and Warrenpoint aren't out of their slumps yet. Division II could be cracking this year.

That is some pasting for the Kingdom.

Naomh Pol CLG

Mitchells beating Bredagh :o

Any reports?

Square Ball

Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on April 23, 2008, 10:23:07 PM

Any reports?

wasnt at it, but a great match by the sound of it
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

stpauls

Quote from: Square Ball on April 23, 2008, 10:28:17 PM
Quote from: Naomh Pol CLG on April 23, 2008, 10:23:07 PM

Any reports?

wasnt at it, but a great match by the sound of it

an unexpected result alright, were Bredagh missing a few players?

Pangurban

Wild craic in Loughinisland tonight, mass brawl in second half, no names taken. Later a linesman entered the field of play,, and became involved in a confrontation with Loughinisland player Ben O Reilly. Referee booked linesman and sent him off, he responded by hurling his flag across the pitch. Aside from all this it was a great game of football, played for the most part in a clean sporting manner. D.Gordon and J O Reilly were outstanding for Loughinisland. Rostrevor CB very impressive, not sure of his name think it is Mc Grath

In the Onion Bag

Bredagh beaten by Mitchels.

I am happy to give an objective report from a Bredagh perspective.  The better team won on the night.  Bredagh's frame of mind was terrible.  I think they may have approached this game too lightly given Mitchells' lowly position. Bredagh were out played by a smart Mitchells team that made great use of their tight pitch, worked very hard in defence and won lots of clever scorable frees.  Their No 11 is an excellent free taker.  Mitchells scored 1.7 and all 7 points came from frees.

Bredagh will rue that they dominated the early period but came away with no scores from 6 good attacks.  Their team looked rusty, some players looked tired and their general work rate was way below par.  They will need to buck up big time if they hope to be in the shake up at the end of the season. 

There now, thats how to critically analyse your own team.

Anybody know the Ardglass Drumanness result or was it not being played tonight?

DownFanatic

Havent  posted in a while. Been livin it up in Australia. Good to see the new season get underway.
There seems to have been a few very interesting results in Division 2. Thats a great result for Tullylish against Shamrocks likewise for Banbridge against Annaclone. Our game with Atticall was called off because we have a Mission in our Parish at the moment.
Our first game against Warrenpoint is going to be very interesting. Shea Curran will be playing his first competitive game for us against his old club.
On another note, there seems to be an air of depression around the county scene at the moment. I was really dissapointed to see the U-21s lose out to Kildare. I think Marty Clarke may have been the difference between a Semi Final defeat and an All Ireland title.
Regarding the Seniors, it seems that we havent really progressed that far. I still feel that there are too many players that are standouts at club level but just cant cut it at county level starting for us. I totally agree wif the negative tactics sentiment. Having an extra defender back is what we need to do against Tyrone and it is the only plausible way we are going to compete with them.
In regards to a starting 15 at the moment, Id be leaning towards something like this:

1. B.McVeigh

2. C.McGovern
3. M.Cole
4. D.Rafferty

Have McGuigan as the spare defender

5. A.Carr
6. L.Doyle
7. R.Murtagh
15. K.McGuigan

8. D.Gordon
9. J.Lynch

10. R.Sexton
11. J.Clarke
12. D.Hughes

2 Man inside forward line of

13. B.Coulter
14. P.McComiskey 

buglebhoy

Was at Mayobridge/Burren game last night! Wasn't a great game by any means, Burren look a poor outfit without county men, Kevin McKernan being their main threat but shooting way too many wides. Burren didn't threaten in the full forward line at all. As for mayobridge they're looking good, pluggy, noel sexton, brendan grant and goalkeeper all having good games.Benny and Micky walsh were kept pretty quiet by Dan McCartan and Chris mcgovern! A handy win for the bridge in the end

Square Ball

Quote from: In the Onion Bag on April 23, 2008, 11:06:05 PM
Bredagh beaten by Mitchels.

I am happy to give an objective report from a Bredagh perspective.  The better team won on the night.  Bredagh's frame of mind was terrible.  I think they may have approached this game too lightly given Mitchells' lowly position. Bredagh were out played by a smart Mitchells team that made great use of their tight pitch, worked very hard in defence and won lots of clever scorable frees.  Their No 11 is an excellent free taker.  Mitchells scored 1.7 and all 7 points came from frees.

Bredagh will rue that they dominated the early period but came away with no scores from 6 good attacks.  Their team looked rusty, some players looked tired and their general work rate was way below par.  They will need to buck up big time if they hope to be in the shake up at the end of the season. 

There now, thats how to critically analyse your own team.

Anybody know the Ardglass Drumanness result or was it not being played tonight?

game called of, reason unknown
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

amallon

Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

goldenyears

amallon - great idea and a great addition to the website.