Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

what about going to carryduff?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

downredblack

Has this been put out on the radio save any Limerick fans a bit of the journey anyway ?

amallon

Defo off. Decision to be made in the next 15 mins as to whether the game can be rescheduled for tomorrow. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

redandblackjack

Speaking to a few Limerick fellas (Players etc) there at the Carrickdale and they were saying there are heading home.

amallon

No game tonight or tomorrow.  :-\

Uladh

Why not reschedule it for tomorrow, in Ballykinlar if the marshes is so bad?

Double Cross

Its not known as the marshes for nothing.  ;)

Mickey Linden

Does anyone have any idea when the match might be played? Im pursuming limerick couldnt and wouldnt travel to newry for a midweek game??????

amallon

Uladh - If you look at it from the county boards point of view which would you rather do.  A get 1500 max into Ballykinlar  tomorrow or B Get 3000-4000 into Newry at a later date. 

The weekend of the 19th/20th of April is the next free weekend.  I'm sure the GAA have left themselves a window between the final round of league games and the play offs to allow for canceled games to be played.  A midweek game would be a lot to ask of Limerick.  If Down were trying to rain in either Wexford or Fermanaghs superior scoring difference it would be an advantage to play after the other teams have finished their campaigns.  Down will know exactly what they have to do before they take the field.

Leo

Quote from: Double Cross on March 29, 2008, 05:53:06 PM
Its not known as the marshes for nothing.  ;)

Since the start of the year the pitch at Newry has been seriously over-used, even to the extent of being mauled in a hurling training session at the height of the bad weather. This is the first postponement since the new pitch was laid and everybody has seen it coming because of the constant over-use . The pitch stood up remarkably well to the McKenna Cup games and early National Leagues when many others were unplayable but you see the lights on nearly every night of the week for sombody's training use. Who is in charge of this pitch after so much money was spent on it? It should be our pride and joy along with the new stand and the lights but what a sambles has been made of it. Typical bloody Down mismanagement. They could have expected 4,000 and good gate receipts tonight and deserve to lose out on this.
Fierce tame altogether

Down Gael

Its typical of Down. They couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery. Why do we let the same idiots run things year after year when they have proven time and again that they are clearly incompetent.
You have to feel for Limerick players and fans who have made a very long, worthless journey. Surely alternative arrangements could have been made and another venue on standby.

5 Sams

Quote from: Down Gael on March 29, 2008, 06:22:29 PM
Its typical of Down. They couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery. Why do we let the same idiots run things year after year when they have proven time and again that they are clearly incompetent.
You have to feel for Limerick players and fans who have made a very long, worthless journey. Surely alternative arrangements could have been made and another venue on standby.

Just wondering Down Gael.....who would these idiots be?
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying you're wrong I'm just wondering who you're having a dig at...
The Aristocrat Years

redandblackjack

[/quote]

but you see the lights on nearly every night of the week for sombody's training use.
[/quote]

Hardly! Yes the pitch is a mess (compared to what it once was in the Summer) because it has had alot of games played on it in harsh conditions but to say the pitch is being used for training is wrong- the hurlers trained on it, the u -21s had a quick session on it and to the best of my knowledge the shamrocks trained on it a while back! The CB have insisted on playing all sorts of games on it recently when it needed a rest, but to be fair they have got good useage out of it and it was only a matter of time before a game was going to be called off! Tyrone also has to move their game so it is not unique to ourselves.

mournerambler

I think the contractor who laid the new pitch has some questions to answer about the Pairc Esler pitch, i may be wrong but it was my understanding that this pitch would be capable of having three games a week played irrespective of what the weather conditions were.

lecale4

Bredagh 3-07 Drumgath 2-10

Bredagh looked dead and buried trailing 1-07 to 0-02 at halftime, but some good switches worked well and they turned in a fine second half display to gain a draw. Some of the old hands had an off day, so it was good to see the local youngsters - Deasley, Tolland, McKenna, Devlin and Hollywood to the fore in the final period.